2 Great Lakes missing

Daniel Koć
Hi,

Is anybody aware what happened to Lake Superior and Lake Huron?

They were changed 20 and 3 days ago, respectively, and they stopped
being rendered both on default and on humanitarian map.

--
"My method is uncertain/ It's a mess but it's working" [F. Apple]

Fwd: 2 Great Lakes missing

Selfish Seahorse
Apparently I sent the message only to James ... So here it is for the
rest of you. eanwhile the lakes are rendered):

Re: Fwd: 2 Great Lakes missing

Tom Hughes-3
You should see the changes at z13+ but z0-12 are only rendered once a
month or when the style changes.

Tom

On 13/08/18 12:36, SelfishSeahorse wrote:

> Apparently I sent the message only to James ... So here it is for the
> rest of you. eanwhile the lakes are rendered):

Tom Hughes ([hidden email])
http://compton.nu/

Re: Fwd: 2 Great Lakes missing

Christoph Hormann-2

Note you can easily check if there are broken multipolygons in the OSM
inspector:

http://tools.geofabrik.de/osmi/?view=areas&lon=-84.14378&lat=46.10509&zoom=8

If a lake multipolygon is broken the lake outline will be shown as
context there and the location of the error usually in red (self
interaection) or magenta (ring not closed).

--
Christoph Hormann
http://www.imagico.de/

Re: Fwd: 2 Great Lakes missing

Selfish Seahorse
Hi!

On Mon, 13 Aug 2018 at 13:50, Tom Hughes <[hidden email]> wrote:

> You should see the changes at z13+ but z0-12 are only rendered once a
> month or when the style changes.

Thanks for your explanation. This also explains why it was not noticed
that the lakes had disappeared until about a month after the faulty
edits at Lake Huron.

Regards
Markus

Re: Fwd: 2 Great Lakes missing

Selfish Seahorse
On Mon, 13 Aug 2018 at 14:01, Christoph Hormann <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Note you can easily check if there are broken multipolygons in the OSM
> inspector:
>
> http://tools.geofabrik.de/osmi/?view=areas&lon=-84.14378&lat=46.10509&zoom=8
>
> If a lake multipolygon is broken the lake outline will be shown as
> context there and the location of the error usually in red (self
> interaection) or magenta (ring not closed).

Thanks for the tip; I din't think of it. Actually my computer had more
difficulties to calculate that i had to find the errors. :-)

Regards
Markus

Re: Fwd: 2 Great Lakes missing

James-2
Yeah those great "lakes" are such a massive relations... I think I can make toast on my computer while it's calculating the errors. Thanks for fixing it Selfish Seahorse

On Monday 13 August 2018, SelfishSeahorse wrote:

> Thanks for the tip; I din't think of it. Actually my computer had
> more difficulties to calculate that i had to find the errors. :-)

Note checking this kind of errors on large multipolygons is not really
that difficult.  For each of the big lakes that is a few dozen MB of
download via overpass API and then a few seconds with osmium to
assemble the multipolygon.  You can easily set this up to run on a
daily basis to check a few lakes you want to keep an eye on.

--
Christoph Hormann
http://www.imagico.de/