30 m DEM TMS rendering for Nepal

Jean-Guilhem Cailton
Hi,

Needing a DEM background for some task, I've prepared a rendering from
the 30m SRTM DEM data made available by USGS for Central Nepal on HDX,
and shared it as TMS it in case it could useful to others too. Note that
it is not void-filled ("The voids occur in areas where the initial
processing did not meet quality specifications").

URL for JOSM is:
tms:http://imagery.openstreetmap.fr/tms/1.0.0/nepal_central_dem/{zoom}/{x}/{y}

and for iD:
tms:http://imagery.openstreetmap.fr/tms/1.0.0/nepal_central_dem/{z}/{x}/{y}

The color ramp used follows the rainbow, for visual contrast (and also
for the spiritual symbol):

0 m : black
1000 m : blue
2000 m : cyan
3000 m : green
4000 m : yellow
5000 m : red
6000 m : white

This only covers Central Nepal for now (N27E83 to N28E85). Please let me
know if you'd like extended coverage (in particular to the East, or for
entire Nepal), or have other suggestions or comments.

Best wishes,

Jean-Guilhem

piz

Re: 30 m DEM TMS rendering for Nepal

piz
I was thinking about the same rendering but didn't know about USGS data licensing

I think that the DEM should be used for evaluating helicopter landing areas

best
Roberto

~~~~~~~~ quote of the day ~~~~~~~~~~~~~
"Yeah, yeah, life sucks and then you die"
(Bret Easton Ellis - Pat Bateman "American Psycho")

-- In data mercoledì 6 maggio 2015 20:42:16, Jean-Guilhem Cailton ha scritto:

> Hi,
>
> Needing a DEM background for some task, I've prepared a rendering from
> the 30m SRTM DEM data made available by USGS for Central Nepal on HDX,
> and shared it as TMS it in case it could useful to others too. Note that
> it is not void-filled ("The voids occur in areas where the initial
> processing did not meet quality specifications").
>
> URL for JOSM is:
> tms:http://imagery.openstreetmap.fr/tms/1.0.0/nepal_central_dem/{zoom}/{x}/{y}
>
> and for iD:
> tms:http://imagery.openstreetmap.fr/tms/1.0.0/nepal_central_dem/{z}/{x}/{y}
>

> The color ramp used follows the rainbow, for visual contrast (and also
> for the spiritual symbol):
>
> 0 m : black
> 1000 m : blue
> 2000 m : cyan
> 3000 m : green
> 4000 m : yellow
> 5000 m : red
> 6000 m : white
>

> This only covers Central Nepal for now (N27E83 to N28E85). Please let me
> know if you'd like extended coverage (in particular to the East, or for
> entire Nepal), or have other suggestions or comments.
>
> Best wishes,
>
> Jean-Guilhem

Re: 30 m DEM TMS rendering for Nepal

Jean-Guilhem Cailton
Hi,

The same DEM rendering now covers all of Nepal.

URL for JOSM is:
tms:http://imagery.openstreetmap.fr/tms/1.0.0/nepal_dem/{zoom}/{x}/{y}

and for iD:
http://imagery.openstreetmap.fr/tms/1.0.0/nepal_dem/{z}/{x}/{y}

Best wishes,

Jean-Guilhem

Le 06/05/2015 22:24, piz a écrit :

> I was thinking about the same rendering but didn't know about USGS data licensing
>
> I think that the DEM should be used for evaluating helicopter landing areas
>
> best
> Roberto
>

> ~~~~~~~~ quote of the day ~~~~~~~~~~~~~
> "Yeah, yeah, life sucks and then you die"
> (Bret Easton Ellis - Pat Bateman "American Psycho")
>

> -- In data mercoledì 6 maggio 2015 20:42:16, Jean-Guilhem Cailton ha scritto:
>> Hi,
>>
>> Needing a DEM background for some task, I've prepared a rendering from
>> the 30m SRTM DEM data made available by USGS for Central Nepal on HDX,
>> and shared it as TMS it in case it could useful to others too. Note that
>> it is not void-filled ("The voids occur in areas where the initial
>> processing did not meet quality specifications").
>>
>> URL for JOSM is:
>> tms:http://imagery.openstreetmap.fr/tms/1.0.0/nepal_central_dem/{zoom}/{x}/{y}
>>
>> and for iD:
>> tms:http://imagery.openstreetmap.fr/tms/1.0.0/nepal_central_dem/{z}/{x}/{y}
>>

>> The color ramp used follows the rainbow, for visual contrast (and also
>> for the spiritual symbol):
>>
>> 0 m : black
>> 1000 m : blue
>> 2000 m : cyan
>> 3000 m : green
>> 4000 m : yellow
>> 5000 m : red
>> 6000 m : white
>>

>> This only covers Central Nepal for now (N27E83 to N28E85). Please let me
>> know if you'd like extended coverage (in particular to the East, or for
>> entire Nepal), or have other suggestions or comments.
>>
>> Best wishes,
>>
>> Jean-Guilhem

Re: 30 m DEM TMS rendering for Nepal

pierzen
What can we say?

Cheers Jean-Guilhem.

Pierre

De : Jean-Guilhem Cailton <[hidden email]>
À : [hidden email]; [hidden email]
Envoyé le : Mercredi 6 mai 2015 18h28
Objet : Re: [HOT] 30 m DEM TMS rendering for Nepal

piz

Re: 30 m DEM TMS rendering for Nepal

piz
wonderfull
and now why not to derive from the DEM a slope map?

~~~~~~~~ quote of the day ~~~~~~~~~~~~~
“I'll make him an offer he can't refuse”
     (Mario Puzo - "The Godfather")

-- In data giovedì 7 maggio 2015 00:28:06, Jean-Guilhem Cailton ha scritto:

> Hi,
>
> The same DEM rendering now covers all of Nepal.
>
> URL for JOSM is:
> tms:http://imagery.openstreetmap.fr/tms/1.0.0/nepal_dem/{zoom}/{x}/{y}
>
> and for iD:
> http://imagery.openstreetmap.fr/tms/1.0.0/nepal_dem/{z}/{x}/{y}
>
> Best wishes,
>
> Jean-Guilhem
>

> Le 06/05/2015 22:24, piz a écrit :
> > I was thinking about the same rendering but didn't know about USGS data licensing
> >
> > I think that the DEM should be used for evaluating helicopter landing areas
> >
> > best
> > Roberto
> >

> > ~~~~~~~~ quote of the day ~~~~~~~~~~~~~
> > "Yeah, yeah, life sucks and then you die"
> > (Bret Easton Ellis - Pat Bateman "American Psycho")
> >

> > -- In data mercoledì 6 maggio 2015 20:42:16, Jean-Guilhem Cailton ha scritto:
> >> Hi,
> >>
> >> Needing a DEM background for some task, I've prepared a rendering from
> >> the 30m SRTM DEM data made available by USGS for Central Nepal on HDX,
> >> and shared it as TMS it in case it could useful to others too. Note that
> >> it is not void-filled ("The voids occur in areas where the initial
> >> processing did not meet quality specifications").
> >>
> >> URL for JOSM is:
> >> tms:http://imagery.openstreetmap.fr/tms/1.0.0/nepal_central_dem/{zoom}/{x}/{y}
> >>
> >> and for iD:
> >> tms:http://imagery.openstreetmap.fr/tms/1.0.0/nepal_central_dem/{z}/{x}/{y}
> >>

> >> The color ramp used follows the rainbow, for visual contrast (and also
> >> for the spiritual symbol):
> >>
> >> 0 m : black
> >> 1000 m : blue
> >> 2000 m : cyan
> >> 3000 m : green
> >> 4000 m : yellow
> >> 5000 m : red
> >> 6000 m : white
> >>

> >> This only covers Central Nepal for now (N27E83 to N28E85). Please let me
> >> know if you'd like extended coverage (in particular to the East, or for
> >> entire Nepal), or have other suggestions or comments.
> >>
> >> Best wishes,
> >>
> >> Jean-Guilhem

Re: 30 m DEM TMS rendering for Nepal

Kretzer
Thank you, this is brilliant!

I like to get an idea of the terrain to help with the mapping - particularly in this steep terrain, and the DEM layer helps a lot.
(Just recently I wondere if it would be possible to ad contour lines as a standard layer in iD. If this information has the right licence it should be possible, shouldn't it?)

> Gesendet: Donnerstag, 07. Mai 2015 um 00:28 Uhr
> Von: "Jean-Guilhem Cailton" <[hidden email]>
> An: [hidden email], [hidden email]
> Betreff: Re: [HOT] 30 m DEM TMS rendering for Nepal
>
> Hi,
>
> The same DEM rendering now covers all of Nepal.
>
> URL for JOSM is:
> tms:http://imagery.openstreetmap.fr/tms/1.0.0/nepal_dem/{zoom}/{x}/{y}
>
> and for iD:
> http://imagery.openstreetmap.fr/tms/1.0.0/nepal_dem/{z}/{x}/{y}
>
> Best wishes,
>
> Jean-Guilhem
>

> Le 06/05/2015 22:24, piz a écrit :
> > I was thinking about the same rendering but didn't know about USGS data licensing
> >
> > I think that the DEM should be used for evaluating helicopter landing areas
> >
> > best
> > Roberto
> >

> > ~~~~~~~~ quote of the day ~~~~~~~~~~~~~
> > "Yeah, yeah, life sucks and then you die"
> > (Bret Easton Ellis - Pat Bateman "American Psycho")
> >

> > -- In data mercoledì 6 maggio 2015 20:42:16, Jean-Guilhem Cailton ha scritto:
> >> Hi,
> >>
> >> Needing a DEM background for some task, I've prepared a rendering from
> >> the 30m SRTM DEM data made available by USGS for Central Nepal on HDX,
> >> and shared it as TMS it in case it could useful to others too. Note that
> >> it is not void-filled ("The voids occur in areas where the initial
> >> processing did not meet quality specifications").
> >>
> >> URL for JOSM is:
> >> tms:http://imagery.openstreetmap.fr/tms/1.0.0/nepal_central_dem/{zoom}/{x}/{y}
> >>
> >> and for iD:
> >> tms:http://imagery.openstreetmap.fr/tms/1.0.0/nepal_central_dem/{z}/{x}/{y}
> >>

> >> The color ramp used follows the rainbow, for visual contrast (and also
> >> for the spiritual symbol):
> >>
> >> 0 m : black
> >> 1000 m : blue
> >> 2000 m : cyan
> >> 3000 m : green
> >> 4000 m : yellow
> >> 5000 m : red
> >> 6000 m : white
> >>

> >> This only covers Central Nepal for now (N27E83 to N28E85). Please let me
> >> know if you'd like extended coverage (in particular to the East, or for
> >> entire Nepal), or have other suggestions or comments.
> >>
> >> Best wishes,
> >>
> >> Jean-Guilhem

Re: 30 m DEM TMS rendering for Nepal

Milo van der Linden-5
You might consider contacting Andy Allen (http://www.gravitystorm.co.uk/) as he has some beautiful cartographic products on the shelve that may only need little tweaking to do what you need.

Andy's cartographic examples are here:

http://www.thunderforest.com/

Thank you, this is brilliant!

I like to get an idea of the terrain to help with the mapping - particularly in this steep terrain, and the DEM layer helps a lot.
(Just recently I wondere if it would be possible to ad contour lines as a standard layer in iD. If this information has the right licence it should be possible, shouldn't it?)

> Gesendet: Donnerstag, 07. Mai 2015 um 00:28 Uhr
> Von: "Jean-Guilhem Cailton" <[hidden email]>
> An: [hidden email], [hidden email]
> Betreff: Re: [HOT] 30 m DEM TMS rendering for Nepal
>
> Hi,
>
> The same DEM rendering now covers all of Nepal.
>
> URL for JOSM is:
> tms:<a href="http://imagery.openstreetmap.fr/tms/1.0.0/nepal_dem/{zoom}/{x}/{y}" target="_blank">http://imagery.openstreetmap.fr/tms/1.0.0/nepal_dem/{zoom}/{x}/{y}
>
> and for iD:
>
> Best wishes,
>
> Jean-Guilhem
>

> Le 06/05/2015 22:24, piz a écrit :
> > I was thinking about the same rendering but didn't know about USGS data licensing
> >
> > I think that the DEM should be used for evaluating helicopter landing areas
> >
> > best
> > Roberto
> >

> > ~~~~~~~~ quote of the day ~~~~~~~~~~~~~
> > "Yeah, yeah, life sucks and then you die"
> > (Bret Easton Ellis - Pat Bateman "American Psycho")
> >

> > -- In data mercoledì 6 maggio 2015 20:42:16, Jean-Guilhem Cailton ha scritto:
> >> Hi,
> >>
> >> Needing a DEM background for some task, I've prepared a rendering from
> >> the 30m SRTM DEM data made available by USGS for Central Nepal on HDX,
> >> and shared it as TMS it in case it could useful to others too. Note that
> >> it is not void-filled ("The voids occur in areas where the initial
> >> processing did not meet quality specifications").
> >>
> >> URL for JOSM is:
> >> tms:<a href="http://imagery.openstreetmap.fr/tms/1.0.0/nepal_central_dem/{zoom}/{x}/{y}" target="_blank">http://imagery.openstreetmap.fr/tms/1.0.0/nepal_central_dem/{zoom}/{x}/{y}
> >>
> >> and for iD:
> >> tms:<a href="http://imagery.openstreetmap.fr/tms/1.0.0/nepal_central_dem/{z}/{x}/{y}" target="_blank">http://imagery.openstreetmap.fr/tms/1.0.0/nepal_central_dem/{z}/{x}/{y}
> >>

> >> The color ramp used follows the rainbow, for visual contrast (and also
> >> for the spiritual symbol):
> >>
> >> 0 m : black
> >> 1000 m : blue
> >> 2000 m : cyan
> >> 3000 m : green
> >> 4000 m : yellow
> >> 5000 m : red
> >> 6000 m : white
> >>

> >> This only covers Central Nepal for now (N27E83 to N28E85). Please let me
> >> know if you'd like extended coverage (in particular to the East, or for
> >> entire Nepal), or have other suggestions or comments.
> >>
> >> Best wishes,
> >>
> >> Jean-Guilhem

http://www.dogodigi.net
Milo van der Linden
web: dogodigi
tel: +31-6-16598808

Re: 30 m DEM TMS rendering for Nepal

Milo van der Linden-5
Sorry, that should be Andy Allan, not Allen.

You might consider contacting Andy Allen (http://www.gravitystorm.co.uk/) as he has some beautiful cartographic products on the shelve that may only need little tweaking to do what you need.

Andy's cartographic examples are here:

http://www.thunderforest.com/

Thank you, this is brilliant!

I like to get an idea of the terrain to help with the mapping - particularly in this steep terrain, and the DEM layer helps a lot.
(Just recently I wondere if it would be possible to ad contour lines as a standard layer in iD. If this information has the right licence it should be possible, shouldn't it?)

> Gesendet: Donnerstag, 07. Mai 2015 um 00:28 Uhr
> Von: "Jean-Guilhem Cailton" <[hidden email]>
> An: [hidden email], [hidden email]
> Betreff: Re: [HOT] 30 m DEM TMS rendering for Nepal
>
> Hi,
>
> The same DEM rendering now covers all of Nepal.
>
> URL for JOSM is:
> tms:http://imagery.openstreetmap.fr/tms/1.0.0/nepal_dem/{zoom}/{x}/{y}
>
> and for iD:
> http://imagery.openstreetmap.fr/tms/1.0.0/nepal_dem/{z}/{x}/{y}
>
> Best wishes,
>
> Jean-Guilhem
>

> Le 06/05/2015 22:24, piz a écrit :
> > I was thinking about the same rendering but didn't know about USGS data licensing
> >
> > I think that the DEM should be used for evaluating helicopter landing areas
> >
> > best
> > Roberto
> >

> > ~~~~~~~~ quote of the day ~~~~~~~~~~~~~
> > "Yeah, yeah, life sucks and then you die"
> > (Bret Easton Ellis - Pat Bateman "American Psycho")
> >

> > -- In data mercoledì 6 maggio 2015 20:42:16, Jean-Guilhem Cailton ha scritto:
> >> Hi,
> >>
> >> Needing a DEM background for some task, I've prepared a rendering from
> >> the 30m SRTM DEM data made available by USGS for Central Nepal on HDX,
> >> and shared it as TMS it in case it could useful to others too. Note that
> >> it is not void-filled ("The voids occur in areas where the initial
> >> processing did not meet quality specifications").
> >>
> >> URL for JOSM is:
> >> tms:http://imagery.openstreetmap.fr/tms/1.0.0/nepal_central_dem/{zoom}/{x}/{y}
> >>
> >> and for iD:
> >> tms:http://imagery.openstreetmap.fr/tms/1.0.0/nepal_central_dem/{z}/{x}/{y}
> >>

> >> The color ramp used follows the rainbow, for visual contrast (and also
> >> for the spiritual symbol):
> >>
> >> 0 m : black
> >> 1000 m : blue
> >> 2000 m : cyan
> >> 3000 m : green
> >> 4000 m : yellow
> >> 5000 m : red
> >> 6000 m : white
> >>

> >> This only covers Central Nepal for now (N27E83 to N28E85). Please let me
> >> know if you'd like extended coverage (in particular to the East, or for
> >> entire Nepal), or have other suggestions or comments.
> >>
> >> Best wishes,
> >>
> >> Jean-Guilhem

http://www.dogodigi.net
Milo van der Linden
web: dogodigi
tel: <a href="tel:%2B31-6-16598808" value="+31616598808" target="_blank">+31-6-16598808

--
http://www.dogodigi.net
Milo van der Linden

Re: 30 m DEM TMS rendering for Nepal

Jean-Guilhem Cailton
Buongiorno,

Good idea. Here you go, Nepal slope map, thanks again to gdaldem:
URL for JOSM is:
tms:http://imagery.openstreetmap.fr/tms/1.0.0/nepal_slope/{zoom}/{x}/{y}
and for iD:
http://imagery.openstreetmap.fr/tms/1.0.0/nepal_slope/{z}/{x}/{y}

And previous rendering, with hillshading computed with a vertical
exaggeration of 3 times (on elevations multiplied by 3):
URL for JOSM is:
tms:http://imagery.openstreetmap.fr/tms/1.0.0/nepal_dem_x3/{zoom}/{x}/{y}
and for iD:
http://imagery.openstreetmap.fr/tms/1.0.0/nepal_dem_x3/{z}/{x}/{y}

Best wishes,

Jean-Guilhem

piz

Re: 30 m DEM TMS rendering for Nepal

piz
Bonjour and thanks a lot!
I suppose the lighter the grey the more flat the slope, this will greatly help for finding helicop. landing areas

~~~~~~~~ quote of the day ~~~~~~~~~~~~~
"You shall above all things be glad and young"
                          (E.E. Cummings)

-- In data venerdì 8 maggio 2015 06:57:28, Jean-Guilhem Cailton ha scritto:

> Buongiorno,
>
> Good idea. Here you go, Nepal slope map, thanks again to gdaldem:
> URL for JOSM is:
> tms:http://imagery.openstreetmap.fr/tms/1.0.0/nepal_slope/{zoom}/{x}/{y}
> and for iD:
> http://imagery.openstreetmap.fr/tms/1.0.0/nepal_slope/{z}/{x}/{y}
>
> And previous rendering, with hillshading computed with a vertical
> exaggeration of 3 times (on elevations multiplied by 3):
> URL for JOSM is:
> tms:http://imagery.openstreetmap.fr/tms/1.0.0/nepal_dem_x3/{zoom}/{x}/{y}
> and for iD:
> http://imagery.openstreetmap.fr/tms/1.0.0/nepal_dem_x3/{z}/{x}/{y}
>
> Best wishes,
>
> Jean-Guilhem
>

> Le 07/05/2015 12:59, piz a écrit :
> > wonderfull
> > and now why not to derive from the DEM a slope map?
> >

> > ~~~~~~~~ quote of the day ~~~~~~~~~~~~~
> > “I'll make him an offer he can't refuse”
> >      (Mario Puzo - "The Godfather")
> >

> > -- In data giovedì 7 maggio 2015 00:28:06, Jean-Guilhem Cailton ha scritto:
> >> Hi,
> >>
> >> The same DEM rendering now covers all of Nepal.
> >>
> >> URL for JOSM is:
> >> tms:http://imagery.openstreetmap.fr/tms/1.0.0/nepal_dem/{zoom}/{x}/{y}
> >>
> >> and for iD:
> >> http://imagery.openstreetmap.fr/tms/1.0.0/nepal_dem/{z}/{x}/{y}
> >>
> >> Best wishes,
> >>
> >> Jean-Guilhem

Re: 30 m DEM TMS rendering for Nepal

Jean-Guilhem Cailton
Bonjour,

Actually, it is the other way around, as can be guessed from a global

So the lighter the grey, the steeper the slope.

It can indeed be very useful as a parameter for potential helicopter
landing zones. Areas reported on APAN as landing zones used by USMC do
appear in black.

Best wishes,

Jean-Guilhem