[30 years Mexico City earthquakes conmemoration] Simulation event

[30 years Mexico City earthquakes conmemoration] Simulation event

Mapa Nauta

Hola team!

On September 19th 2015 is the 30 year commemoration of two of the strongest earthquakes Mexico had faced in modern history, if you want to see a summary of what happened I recommend you to watch a 2min video "Terremoto del 19 Septiembre 1985" https://youtu.be/_qva8tY1ZfQ to have an idea of what happened but the stories you hear of the people who survived are something you will never forget and that is something you won't find in the video.

The Civil protection Organization, the National Emergency committee and other Government and Civil Institutions will be part of the Simulation so young citizens who were not present in the tragedy and people who lived the tragedy will know what to do and how to save more lives.

The question/request here is based in Nepal experience and other disaster experiences to share better practices, I don't recall a simulation but anything that you can share will be useful. Like the steps to follow and manuals we could translate in Spanish for the event.

So far the plan is to simulate areas of the city with damage and building that went down, having on site mappers and also remote mappers. Rodolfo Wilhelmy is part of the organizers and he also is suggesting having a team with bikes that can map simulated damaged areas.

Please share your thoughts we are happy to hear ideas to improve the simulation and the mapping practice. Mexico is located in three different Plates North America Plate, Pacific Plate and Cocos Plate so having this practices or simulations will improve the way we can react.

Thanks in advance for your support

Miriam Gonzalez
@mapanauta

Re: [30 years Mexico City earthquakes conmemoration] Simulation event

Pat Tressel
Hi, Miriam!

I wonder if anything from Exercise 24, Shakeout, or Formidable Footprint would be useful.

Exercise 24 (x24) is a disaster simulation event, mainly aimed at getting organizations working with each other before a real event.  It also has some focus on use of social media.  There was a 2012 x24 simulation based in Mexico that involved an earthquake.  Here's a report after that event, delivered at the 2012 ISCRAM by George Bressler.  IIRC he was involved in organizing the event, so may be useful to contact.
http://www.iscramlive.org/ISCRAM2012/proceedings/302.pdf
The San Diego State VisCenter is typically involved in facilitating these events, so may have more info:
http://vizcenter.sdsu.edu/2011/03/international-simulation-tests-disaster-response/

Shakeout and Formidable Footprint are more citizen preparedness and training exercises.
http://shakeout.org/
http://www.drc-group.com/project/footprint.html

-- Pat

Re: [30 years Mexico City earthquakes conmemoration] Simulation event

Mapa Nauta
Hola Pat!

Great and useful info!

Thanks for your support,

On Thu, Sep 10, 2015 at 3:25 AM, Pat Tressel <[hidden email]> wrote:
[...]

Rodolfo Wilhelmy

With the help of Pierre Béland, the OSM community in Mexico have prepared the following HOT exercise to happen during the next National Earthquake Drill on Saturday.

HOT activation exercise wiki:
https://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/EN:Mexico_Earhquake_Drill_2015

We are pretty excited because this exercise has the potential to bring many benefits to the whole community, such as local/remote capacity building, protocol validation, and raising awareness of the value of the OSM community work in such scenarios.

We'd love to hear your comments!

If you want to join the discussion during the drill, please visit the english thread we opened in the Mexico's OSM forum:

Users: Mexico
http://forum.openstreetmap.org/viewforum.php?id=79
In English:
http://forum.openstreetmap.org/viewtopic.php?pid=544751
We will keep you posted

Saludos desde México!

Re: [30 years Mexico City earthquakes conmemoration] Simulation event

pierzen
Hi Miriam and Rodolfo. This was a nice week collaborating with the Mexico OSM community to organize this event.

As we organize this activity, there is this alert for the Illapel Chile Earthquake and the news talk about the various actions taken to protect the population.

More reason to participate to the discussion this weekend on the Mexico Forum and collaborate to the Mexico Simulation organized with the Civil protection Organization, the National Emergency committee and other Government and Civil Institutions.

we will keep you informed of the activities in the next few days.

regard

Pierre

Re: [30 years Mexico City earthquakes conmemoration] Simulation event

Mapa Nauta
Hi Pierre

Actually I am still in Chile this week and I witnessed how well organized and prepared the population is here. I will be sharing this experience with my colleagues in MX

Thanks again for all your support,
Miriam

On Thu, Sep 17, 2015 at 6:19 PM, <[hidden email]> wrote:
Hi Miriam and Rodolfo. This was a nice week collaborating with the Mexico OSM community to organize this event.

As we organize this activity, there is this alert for the Illapel Chile Earthquake and the news talk about the various actions taken to protect the population.

More reason to participate to the discussion this weekend on the Mexico Forum and collaborate to the Mexico Simulation organized with the Civil protection Organization, the National Emergency committee and other Government and Civil Institutions.

we will keep you informed of the activities in the next few days.

regard

Pierre

Re: [30 years Mexico City earthquakes conmemoration] Simulation event

Rodolfo Wilhelmy

I just want to let you know that we've just finished setting up the Tasking Manager for the Earthquake Drill happening tomorrow at 11:30:00 -05:00

https://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/EN:Mexico_Earhquake_Drill_2015#Mapping_Priority

Feel free to jump in at http://tasks.hotosm.org/project/1202

We were inspired by #1199 - Illapel (Chile), which is a similar scenario and have really nice instructions (Kudos!).

Right now we only have Bing. But maybe tomorrow DigitalGlobe could provide a WMS to new imagery, that could be used by JOSM mappers.

Comments are always welcome!

Warm regards to our Chileans mappers! We'd love to share lessons learned after the drill.

Have a great weekend