3D models in OSM?! 3D Model Repository has just launched!

3D models in OSM?! 3D Model Repository has just launched!

Pedro Amaro
It is with great pleasure that I announce the launch of the 3D Model Repository, available at https://3dmr.eu!

The main aim of the project is to enable a better 3D rendering of OSM data, placing 3D models at everything from landmarks, such as the Eiffel Tower, to benches on the street.

Starting off from my Google Summer of Code project, over the past few months, along with my mentors, Jan (https://www.openstreetmap.org/user/osmbuildings) and Tobias (https://www.openstreetmap.org/user/Tordanik), I have been working hard on setting up the infrastructure required for the launch, namely a web server and the domain, which have been warmly provided by FOSSGIS. Along with this, some new features and bugfixes were added to the repository, including a PR by dkiselev (https://gitlab.com/n42k/3dmr/merge_requests/19). Finally, the last few miscellaneous issues before the launch have been resolved, and a few sample models were added to the repository.

On the renderer side, -karlos- (https://www.openstreetmap.org/user/-karlos-) has been making great progress with OSM go, having provided us with an easy way to show off the features of the repository. An example rendering can be seen on http://osmgo.org/go.html?lat=41.69230008&lon=-8.82631887&ele=1.50&dir=351&view=-7&con=2&opt=0&name=beton or as an image on https://i.imgur.com/aF5fxFI.png.

## Contributing

Contributions are always welcome, in any form! There's several ways to contribute to the repository, such as modelling or developing. If you know how to use Blender or Google SketchUp, you can get started right away modelling features of your town, consult the wiki (at https://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/3D_Model_Repository) for more information. Otherwise, if you'd rather develop, you can implement the repository in a 3D renderer (more information available on the wiki at https://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/3D_Model_Repository and the API documentation at https://3dmr.eu/docs), or add new features to the repository itself (a Gitlab repository is available at https://gitlab.com/n42k/3dmr). Other than that, if you have any other idea, make sure to get in contact.

Hope to see your additions!

Re: 3D models in OSM?! 3D Model Repository has just launched!

Janko Mihelić
This is great news!

My question is about referencing these models in the OSM database. There are several reasons for referencing them, one is if you render the Eiffel tower, you don't have to render the Eiffel tower way underneath. So if you see the tag 3dmr=4, you ignore the way and just render the 3d model. Also, the 3d model can show the metadata taken from the way when clicked.

I'll be making models, thanks for this!

Janko

Re: 3D models in OSM?! 3D Model Repository has just launched!

Pedro Amaro
Hey Yuri and Janko, thank you for your interest!

About your questions:

> Do you see your site being in a direct competition, or somehow helping each other and cooperating for the common good?  I doubt WMF will implement much functionality for the OMS-specific goals at this stage.

I personally believe that both repositories can cooperate, despite
having different goals. For instance, if you made a model of the
Eiffel Tower, you could submit it to both repositories, to provide an
interactive 3D representation of the building in Wikipedia, and for
displaying it on a map in OSM. Models from the Wikimedia site, with
the correct licenses, could also be imported to 3DMR and vice-versa.

> There are several reasons for referencing them, one is if you render the Eiffel tower, you don't have to render the Eiffel tower way underneath. So if you see the tag 3dmr=4, you ignore the way and just render the 3d model.

Indeed, it's currently working the way you're describing, the way
underneath is ignored when we render the model, in that case. You can
consult more information on the 3dmr=* tag in
https://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/User:Tordanik/Proposed_features/3D_model_repository_links.

> Also, the 3d model can show the metadata taken from the way when clicked.

That could be a feature of a 3D visualizer, yes. In fact, I believe
OSM go already implements this. Try going to
http://osmgo.org/go.html?lat=41.69230008&lon=-8.82631887&ele=1.50&dir=351&view=-7&con=2&opt=0&name=beton
and clicking on the 3D model of the bench! Or do you mean something
else by 'metadata'?

> I'll be making models, thanks for this!

Thank you! Have anything to model in mind?