50cm imagery available over Tierralta, Colombia

50cm imagery available over Tierralta, Colombia

Frédéric Bonifas
Hi,

(Sorry for writing in English on talk-co but I don't speak Spanish
unfortunately).

== Context ==
The ICRC (International Committee of the Red Cross) is looking for
some support from the HOT community to digitize on top of a satellite
image they have acquired over the city of Tierralta in North-West of
Colombia.
The image is 50 cm resolution, comes from the WV2 sensor (Digital
Globe) and was acquired the 12th of March 2011.
The ICRC will use the image and the OSM tracing to work on a Water and
Sanitation project.

== What to map ? ==
The ICRC is very interested in the landuse (buildings and natural
features), but the roads can of course also be mapped !

== How-to use the imagery ? ==
To add the imagery in JOSM :
* Open the preferences and go to the WMS/TMS tab
* Click on the "+" at the bottom right to add the new imagery, a
dialog window opens
* At the top, give a name to the imagery, e.g. "Tierralta ICRC". At
the bottom, in the "Imagery URL" field, paste this :
http://maps.itos.uga.edu/ArcGIS/services/GIST/CO_HOT/ImageServer/WMSServer?FORMAT=image/png&VERSION=1.1.0&SERVICE=WMS&REQUEST=GetMap&Layers=0&SRS={proj}&WIDTH={width}&HEIGHT={height}&BBOX={bbox}
* Click OK and the imagery is now available in the "Imagery" menu.
* When you zoom in or out, you need to right-click on the name of the
imagery in the "layers" list and the click on "change resolution"

The source tag to use is "ICRC, DigitalGlobe 120311"

== What comes next ? ==
Once a large part of the imagery is digitized in OSM, the ICRC team in
Tierralta will use Walking-Papers to enhance the map with POIs and
street names.

I would like to document this on the OSM wiki but the Wikiproject
Colombia is in Spanish. Could someone from the Colombian community add
this imagery in the wiki where relevant ?

This workflow went well and efficiently in Walikale, Congo. You can
read this article on the ICRC website talking about this collaboration
: http://www.icrc.org/eng/resources/documents/interview/2012/mapping-interview-2012-04-05.htm
Hope we will do even better this time !
I am available if you need any other information.

Best

Fred

Re: [Talk-co] 50cm imagery available over Tierralta, Colombia

hyances@gmail.com
Thanks Fréderic:

I'll take care about wiki page to update it with this iniciative and imagery avaible.  There is already mapping over the zone!

Best,

Humberto Yances

PD:  I'll update wiki page with other ~80 Orbview3 images published yesterday by Jean-Guilhem Cailton http://i.imgur.com/fNnE5.png too

2012/5/10 Frédéric Bonifas <[hidden email]>
[...]

Re: 50cm imagery available over Tierralta, Colombia

Harry Wood
I've set up that info on this page: http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Tierralta
...which is linked from the Colombia page (currently in bright yellow)

I think it's fine for that to be in English, and somebody could set-up 'ES:Tierralta' to mirror the same content in Spanish.  The bit where I've linked it on the 'WikiProject Colombia' page... that should probably just be swapped to be in spanish.

But anyway, enough wiki fiddling. Let's try out this imagery.

Harry

Re: 50cm imagery available over Tierralta, Colombia

Jean-Guilhem Cailton

Just a reminder that there are still buildings left to trace in
Tierralta for ICRC.

As Humberto Yances pointed out on talk-co, it is possible to do this
with fewer clicks per building with the building_tools plugin for JOSM,
which can be parametrized to enter directly these tags for houses:
building = house
source = ICRC, DigitalGlobe 120311

Best wishes,

Jean-Guilhem