A few questions of vector stream server

Myunghwa
Hi, List!

I am trying to use vector stream server API.
After my initial examination, a few questions came up and I couldn't find the answers from documentation.
1. Can we apply SQL options to tile API? It doesn't seem so.
2. Where can I find some specifics about how to define SQL clauses?
3. From which zoom level can I obtain vector tiles? I tried to get vector tiles for the US continent, (I know it's big. But I want to see how the api handles level of details at large zoom level), and the server didn't respond.
4. Can I create vector tiles for my own data? Is there any tools for such function that CloudMade provides?

I am a new tester, and for me, the documentation was not detailed enough.
Any comments or information would be helpful.
Thanks in advance!

from Myunghwa Hwang

--
Myunghwa Hwang
GeoDa Center

Re: A few questions of vector stream server

Andrii V. Mishkovskyi
On Mon, Jul 19, 2010 at 1:40 AM, Myunghwa Hwang <[hidden email]> wrote:
> Hi, List!
> I am trying to use vector stream server API.
> After my initial examination, a few questions came up and I couldn't find
> the answers from documentation.
> 1. Can we apply SQL options to tile API? It doesn't seem so.

Unfortunately, no. As for implicit question "will this be ever
available" the answer is "probably, no".

> 2. Where can I find some specifics about how to define SQL clauses?

Unfortunately, this is the least documented feature of VSS, but the
examples given in the documentation might give you a clue as to how
one should use it. I would welcome any feedback on this feature and
probably more examples from third-parties (like you!).

> 3. From which zoom level can I obtain vector tiles? I tried to get vector
> tiles for the US continent, (I know it's big. But I want to see how the api
> handles level of details at large zoom level), and the server didn't
> respond.

It's safe to assume that vector tiles starting from zoom >= 11 will
download in reasonable time. Anything larger in scale might^W *will*
take more than 20 seconds to complete. This is the problem we'll be
working on in the next few months, but the current state is sad, of
course.

> 4. Can I create vector tiles for my own data? Is there any tools for such
> function that CloudMade provides?

Currently no, but I would like to hear about your usecases. You're the
first person to ask for this feature.

> I am a new tester, and for me, the documentation was not detailed enough.
> Any comments or information would be helpful.

Uh, yeah, the documentation is not even good, it's ugly, that's for
sure. If you know how to improve, I would really welcome your help,
because I'm that bad at writing documentation. Raising concrete issues
with the doc, such as "this wording is not clear" would help also.
Well, any feedback even in a form of a rant would help. :)

HTH.

> Thanks in advance!
> from Myunghwa Hwang
>
> --
> Myunghwa Hwang
> GeoDa Center
> School of Geographical Sciences and Urban Planning
> Arizona State University
> [hidden email] or [hidden email]

Wbr, Andrii V. Mishkovskyi.

I have the last page code of rocket launch program in NASA written in Lisp: