A fool with a tool ... Vehicle service tags

A fool with a tool ... Vehicle service tags

Thilo Haug OSM
Forgot to mention :
" it follows what `service:bicycle:*` does."
is not true.

And if you introduce a new system,
you should also explain the namespace structure.
And not just create a hard to find "notice"
which isn't linked to from the affected existing tags
https://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Key:service:vehicle

8X---------------------------------------------------------------

Bryan Housel bryan at 7thposition.com
Sun May 6 12:27:15 UTC 2018

Hey all, this is something I added to iD because we can’t support
reusing the `service=*` tag to also store values for vehicle services.
The tag is already overwhelmingly used to hold values for
`highway=service` and `railway=service`.

So we added `service:vehicle` for users to tag these, and it follows
what `service:bicycle:*` does.

https://lists.openstreetmap.org/pipermail/tagging/2018-May/036107.html

8X---------------------------------------------------------------

Re: A fool with a tool ... Vehicle service tags

> On 3. Jan 2019, at 17:02, Thilo Haug OSM <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> Forgot to mention :
> " it follows what `service:bicycle:*` does."
> is not true.

right, on the contrary service:vehicle doesn’t follow what service:bicycle does, it goes into competition with it

Cheers, Martin

Re: A fool with a tool ... Vehicle service tags

Sérgio V.
Even if the tag keys were not propper, you've just removed many specific information about services that were in the values, such as batteries; brakes; electrical; inspection; muffler; oil_change.
Without preserving them in any other usefull, or more propper tag if needed.
Simply removing true info is not a good deal.
Where and how would someone find those specific infos about car services again?
Are you considering the validity of those previously tagged specific infos, and the efforts of who did it to put valuable info in to OSM, in your large-scale re-tagging?