A message to our friends at HOT, Peace Corps etc. about Changeset Comments

A message to our friends at HOT, Peace Corps etc. about Changeset Comments

Frederik Ramm
Hi,

   I would like to draw everyone's attention to a long-standing
community recommendation:

http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Good_changeset_comments

It explains why you should use sensible changeset comments that describe
what you (think you) have been doing.

I don't know exactly who encourages this, but I am seeing lots of
changesets with comments like this:

#MissingMaps #hotosm-project-12345 Lubumbashi, Congo (DRC) #100mapathons
#OSMGeoWeek

This is *not* useful. First of all, we're not Twitter; we don't evaluate
these hashtags. I don't know if there are some downstream services that
do, but if so, please switch to using a secondary tag (remember,
changesets, like other OSM objects, can have any number of tags).

As a reader of the edit history of a place, I am interested in someone
writing that they have traced buildings or drawn roads or done whatever.
I'm not so much interested in (what I perceive as) vanity hashtags, they
don't help me understand what the person did.

I mean look at this:

https://www.openstreetmap.org/history#map=6/8.418/43.923

It's really a caricature of what changeset comments were meant to be.

Can it be fixed somehow, or have we permanently moved from changeset
comments being aimed at your fellow human mappers to changeset comments
being auto-generated for consumption by some software that makes sense
of them?

Bye
Frederik

Re: A message to our friends at HOT, Peace Corps etc. about Changeset Comments

Warin
On 19/11/2015 11:11 AM, Frederik Ramm wrote:

> Hi,
>
>     I would like to draw everyone's attention to a long-standing
> community recommendation:
>
> http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Good_changeset_comments
>
> It explains why you should use sensible changeset comments that describe
> what you (think you) have been doing.
>
> I don't know exactly who encourages this, but I am seeing lots of
> changesets with comments like this:
>
> #MissingMaps #hotosm-project-12345 Lubumbashi, Congo (DRC) #100mapathons
> #OSMGeoWeek
>
> This is *not* useful. First of all, we're not Twitter; we don't evaluate
> these hashtags. I don't know if there are some downstream services that
> do, but if so, please switch to using a secondary tag (remember,
> changesets, like other OSM objects, can have any number of tags).
>
> As a reader of the edit history of a place, I am interested in someone
> writing that they have traced buildings or drawn roads or done whatever.
> I'm not so much interested in (what I perceive as) vanity hashtags, they
> don't help me understand what the person did.
>
> I mean look at this:
>
> https://www.openstreetmap.org/history#map=6/8.418/43.923
>
> It's really a caricature of what changeset comments were meant to be.
>
> Can it be fixed somehow, or have we permanently moved from changeset
> comments being aimed at your fellow human mappers to changeset comments
> being auto-generated for consumption by some software that makes sense
> of them?
>
> Bye
> Frederik

My changeset comments usually:

Start with the 'where' - country state and city/town ... if I range over
some continents then I leave this out!

'What I did.' This could be 'housekeeping' - where I 'fix' validation
errors and warnings. I now try to keep the 'housekeeping' as a separate
chengeset from other things. General things like 'added sports details',
'added road names' etc.

These things can be of use to me - keeping track of where I have been
and what I did in general. Sometimes I miss all the things I did ... but
I get most of them. Sometimes I miss changing the changeset comments!

Re: A message to our friends at HOT, Peace Corps etc. about Changeset Comments

john whelan-2
HOT and OSM are slightly different, HOT maps on OSM but uses a simpler more standardized approach.  Many of their volunteers often do not know enough English to write a meaningful change set comment.

HOT tends to map in areas that do not have a great deal of OSM mapping already in place so I don't see that it really matters if they use preset comments from the tile system.  The HOT comment gives you the task and tile number so you can look up on the tile system where it is and also what has been asked for.

Or are we now asking that all mappers on OSM have to be able to read and write in English since that is the normal language for communication in OSM or is one of the local African languages sufficient.  If it is then I assure you I won't be able to understand what it says.

I think one thing I like about HOT is the validation process, an experienced mapper goes over the mapping and tries to eliminate as many errors or mis-tags as possible and ensure that everything visible in the image is mapped, and yes I understand armchair mappers are looked down on by many mappers but the work they do is valuable in many areas.

Cheerio John

--
Frederik Ramm  ##  eMail [hidden email]  ##  N49°00'09" E008°23'33"

On 19/11/2015 11:52 AM, john whelan wrote:
HOT and OSM are slightly different, HOT maps on OSM but uses a simpler more standardized approach.  Many of their volunteers often do not know enough English to write a meaningful change set comment.

HOT tends to map in areas that do not have a great deal of OSM mapping already in place so I don't see that it really matters if they use preset comments from the tile system.  The HOT comment gives you the task and tile number so you can look up on the tile system where it is and also what has been asked for.

Then why cannot the task / tile number be expressed in English?? As the location is already given, what is so hard about a simple statement of the 'what' for the changeset?

Or are we now asking that all mappers on OSM have to be able to read and write in English since that is the normal language for communication in OSM or is one of the local African languages sufficient.  If it is then I assure you I won't be able to understand what it says.

I have no problem with an entry in ANY language. Wolf, French etc etc. I probably won't understand it directly ... but I can use a web based translator.

[...]

Nicolás Alvarez
> This is *not* useful. First of all, we're not Twitter; we don't evaluate
> these hashtags. I don't know if there are some downstream services that
> do, but if so, please switch to using a secondary tag (remember,
> changesets, like other OSM objects, can have any number of tags).

Worse, I see many HOT changesets that have source=Bing in the
changeset comment instead of a separate tag.

Although... Does iD allow setting changeset tags?

--
Nicolás

Re: A message to our friends at HOT, Peace Corps etc. about Changeset Comments

Kate Chapman-2
Hi Frederik,

I fail to see how machine readable hashtags are "not useful". They allow statistical analysis which can be used to inform future recruitment and other activities. Often we make assumptions about OSM contributors not backed by statistics this allows improvement in one corner of the OSM community. Perhaps some human readable text would also be useful, but I don't think of adding hashtag like comments as an issue.

-Kate

On Wed, Nov 18, 2015 at 4:11 PM, Frederik Ramm <[hidden email]> wrote:
[...]

Robert Banick
Hi all,

Surely this is a case of “more is better”. As Kate suggests, the hashtags are a great tool for downstream analytics we can use to learn about and improve our work.

At mapathons I always instruct newcomers to add their personal comments to the pre-loaded tags from the tasking manager. If mapathon holders don’t instruct mappers to add their own comments then I would think that calls for the same patient back channel communications we give to mappers who tag features wrong or other well-meaning mistakes.

Robert

Sent from Mailbox

On Thu, Nov 19, 2015 at 9:44 AM, Kate Chapman <[hidden email]> wrote:

[...]

Peter Barth-2
Hi Kate,

Kate Chapman schrieb:
> I fail to see how machine readable hashtags are "not useful". They allow
> statistical analysis which can be used to inform future recruitment and
> other activities.

but as Frederik suggested: Why do these hashtags have to be in the
changeset comment? Your statistical analysis wouldn't suffer if you'd
put it in any other tag in the changeset.

hot:project=12345
hot:reason=100mapathons
whatever else...

Then again the changeset comment has a defined semantics, which gets
perverted with such comments. The readability for anyone else except yor
analysis tool does suffer from these comments.

Peda

Re: A message to our friends at HOT, Peace Corps etc. about Changeset Comments

Michael Reichert

Am 19. November 2015 01:52:40 MEZ, schrieb john whelan <[hidden email]>:
> HOT and OSM are slightly different, HOT maps on OSM but uses a simpler
> more
> standardized approach.

HOT uses the OSM database/platform and therefore it has to adapt and follow OSM's rules. Nobody forces you to use OSM. Why don't you do something like OpenHistoricalMap and use your own database basrd on OSM software?

> HOT tends to map in areas that do not have a great deal of OSM mapping
> already in place so I don't see that it really matters if they use
> preset
> comments from the tile system.  The HOT comment gives you the task and
> tile
> number so you can look up on the tile system where it is and also what
> has
> been asked for.

A mapper should be able to get an idea what has been edited at a given changeset without decrypting the changeset comment using an external service (HOT tasking manager in this case). Who guarantees that HOT tasking manager will still be online in 5 or 10 years?

Best regards

Michael
--
Diese Nachricht wurde auf einem Smartphone verfasst, ist daher nicht GPG-signiert und enthält Tippfejler.
This message was been written on a smartphone. That's why it is not GPG-signed and may contain tyops.

Re: A message to our friends at HOT, Peace Corps etc. about Changeset Comments

ueliw0
Hi

On 19/11/15 09:18, Michael Reichert wrote:
> Hi,
>

> Am 19. November 2015 01:52:40 MEZ, schrieb john whelan <[hidden email]>:
>> HOT and OSM are slightly different, HOT maps on OSM but uses a simpler
>> more
>> standardized approach.
> HOT uses the OSM database/platform and therefore it has to adapt and follow OSM's rules. Nobody forces you to use OSM. Why don't you do something like OpenHistoricalMap and use your own database basrd on OSM software?
Because contrary to the OpenHistoricalMap project, HOT contributors
typically map the same features that "regular" OSM mappers and users too
are interested in having in the main database (currently existing roads,
buildings, rivers, medical facilities, ...). Therefore using a separate
database would mean  a lot more (duplicate) work for both projects (and
probably less complete and lower quality maps), so please keep the two
projects together.

Cheers Ueli

Re: A message to our friends at HOT, Peace Corps etc. about Changeset Comments

Jóhannes Birgir Jensson
> HOT uses the OSM database/platform and therefore it has to adapt and
> follow OSM's rules. Nobody forces you to use OSM. Why don't you do
> something like OpenHistoricalMap and use your own database basrd on
> OSM software?

There are no rules for changeset comments. They are an optional feature,
the number of empty comments each day is substantial yet I don't see
them being advocated for removal.

> A mapper should be able to get an idea what has been edited at a given
> changeset without decrypting the changeset comment using an external
> service (HOT tasking manager in this case). Who guarantees that HOT
> tasking manager will still be online in 5 or 10 years?

This feature already exists on the OSM website, looking at changesets.

> I have no problem with an entry in ANY language. Wolf, French etc etc.
> I probably won't understand it directly ... but I can use a web based
> translator.

No you probably will not be able to use a web based translator for the
majority of languages. Setswana is the primary language of around 6
million people in South Africa and Botswana (official language) and
secondary of maybe 8 million more. There is no online translator for it.
Those that have gotten used to Google Translate will be shocked to find
out the number and size of many languages missing from it, nevermind the
quality of automatic translations.

The number of hashtags in the comment might be getting a bit too much
though!

Re: A message to our friends at HOT, Peace Corps etc. about Changeset Comments

I fail to see how machine readable hashtags are "not useful". They allow statistical analysis which can be used to inform future recruitment and other activities.

they are not very useful for other mappers who try to understand what was done in a changeset. They aren't descriptions of what was done, hence shouldn't go into the "description" changeset tag. As the amount and kind of changeset tags are unlimited like the tags on map objects, there really isn't a good reason to put these "project-hashtags" into the same category as the human readable explanations by the mappers about their work in a particular set of changes. Actually, using a distinct tag might even be easier to do evaluations.

Re: A message to our friends at HOT, Peace Corps etc. about Changeset Comments

Christoph Hormann
On Thursday 19 November 2015, Frederik Ramm wrote:

> #MissingMaps #hotosm-project-12345 Lubumbashi, Congo (DRC)
> #100mapathons #OSMGeoWeek
>
> This is *not* useful.

But to be fair this is not only the fault of the mappers but also of the
HOT project managers since they specifically instruct mappers to use
such changeset comments.

Generally the HOT project mapping instructions contain a lot of things
that are questionable from the viewpoint of the OSM community.  IMO HOT
needs to make sure these comply with the OSM conventions, for example
by sourcing these instructions from the OSM wiki and allowing the OSM
community to provide input and fixes this way.

--
Christoph Hormann
http://www.imagico.de/

Re: A message to our friends at HOT, Peace Corps etc. about Changeset Comments

Christian Pietzsch

Worse, I see many HOT changesets that have source=Bing in the
changeset comment instead of a separate tag.

Although... Does iD allow setting changeset tags?

The ID Editor doesn't seem to support other changeset tags.
JOSM supports as much changeset tags as you like, but you have to know that this is possible. I only noticed the other tabs in the upload dialog recently. I always was focused on the "settings" tab where you just can input the comment and the source.

I like the usage of hashtags. It enables you to do better analytics but also has the potential to find the root of errors. We use hashtags in our German "Wochenaufgabe"(weekly task). If a lot of people start to map things in an uncommon way because of the weekly task it would be more easy to know where this idea came from.
One problem I see is if you use to many hashtags and if they aren't searchable. I hoped to find the HOT task when searching for the hastag but it did show up int he first search entries. I think this may be fixiable.
But I agree that hashtags would find a better place in an extra tag, but the editors have to support it and make it easily accessible.

Christian

> This is *not* useful. First of all, we're not Twitter; we don't evaluate
> these hashtags. I don't know if there are some downstream services that
> do, but if so, please switch to using a secondary tag (remember,
> changesets, like other OSM objects, can have any number of tags).

Worse, I see many HOT changesets that have source=Bing in the
changeset comment instead of a separate tag.

Although... Does iD allow setting changeset tags?

--
Nicolás

Re: A message to our friends at HOT, Peace Corps etc. about Changeset Comments

Paul Johnson-3
On Wed, Nov 18, 2015 at 6:52 PM, john whelan <[hidden email]> wrote:
Or are we now asking that all mappers on OSM have to be able to read and write in English since that is the normal language for communication in OSM or is one of the local African languages sufficient.  If it is then I assure you I won't be able to understand what it says.

Personally, I'd be satisified with an intelligible changeset comment in any language, so even if I can't tell what they were thinking, and Google Translate can't throw me a bone, presumably someone who does have an idea of the language in question would be able to have some insight.

El 19 nov 2015, a las 06:54, Christian Pietzsch <[hidden email]> escribió:

Worse, I see many HOT changesets that have source=Bing in the
changeset comment instead of a separate tag.

Although... Does iD allow setting changeset tags?

The ID Editor doesn't seem to support other changeset tags.
JOSM supports as much changeset tags as you like, but you have to know that this is possible. I only noticed the other tabs in the upload dialog recently. I always was focused on the "settings" tab where you just can input the comment and the source.

I don't think iD even has a 'source' text field.

I like the usage of hashtags. It enables you to do better analytics but also has the potential to find the root of errors. We use hashtags in our German "Wochenaufgabe"(weekly task). If a lot of people start to map things in an uncommon way because of the weekly task it would be more easy to know where this idea came from.

Yeah, I wish the massive amount of school-adding newbies in Argentina, whose changesets are wrong more often than not, included a hashtag so that we could easily find them and clean the mess. They are coming from some sort of course that was never discussed with the OSM community. But considering how they can't communicate with us or get the students to do the basic things right (educational level in level=, own username in operator=, only name= but no amenity=school, adding school node that already existed, nodes added in a different continent... we have seen it all), I don't think they can get them to add a hashtag...

--
Nicolás

Re: A message to our friends at HOT, Peace Corps etc. about Changeset Comments

Ben Abelshausen
These changesets are way more useful than most.

You can go the tasking manager and see exactly what the goal of the mapping activity was, who is the admin that created the task and who validates, what mappers contributed and so on.

That doesn't mean things couldn't be better. Maybe moving some information to the changeset tags may be a solution, the id of the task for example, and the tile or some description in the comment.

Met vriendelijke groeten,
Best regards,

Ben Abelshausen

Re: A message to our friends at HOT, Peace Corps etc. about Changeset Comments

Andy Townsend
On 19/11/2015 10:16, Ben Abelshausen wrote:

> You can go the tasking manager and see exactly what the goal of the
> mapping activity was, who is the admin that created the task and who
> validates, what mappers contributed and so on.

Can you please explain where any of that is documented within
OpenStreetMap?  As an example, I recently came across this:

https://www.openstreetmap.org/way/381043577

It's a building that is a closed way, but only just.  How can I offer to
help that mapper do what they are trying to do better?  All the
changeset comment says is "#MissingMaps #hotosm-project-1254 Lubumbashi,
Congo (DRC) #100mapathons #OSMGeoWeek " - to me the only useful
information in there is "Lubumbashi, Congo (DRC)", which I already know
since that is exactly where this edit is.

More importantly, how do I contact the person who told this new mapper
that "#MissingMaps #hotosm-project-1254 Lubumbashi, Congo (DRC)
#100mapathons #OSMGeoWeek" was a suitable changeset comment, to explain
to them what we use changeset comments for and what makes a good one?
If I can talk to them, I can probably help them help other new users
too, and not just with stuff about changeset comments - as an OSM mapper
think of all the "how to interpret imagery" latent knowledge that you
have simply by being able to compare a place you visited with the
imagery of that place.

Cheers,

Andy

Re: A message to our friends at HOT, Peace Corps etc. about Changeset Comments

Nicolás Alvarez

> El 19 nov 2015, a las 07:16, Ben Abelshausen <[hidden email]> escribió:
>
> These changesets are way more useful than most.
>
> You can go the tasking manager and see exactly what the goal of the mapping activity was, who is the admin that created the task and who validates, what mappers contributed and so on.
>
> That doesn't mean things couldn't be better. Maybe moving some information to the changeset tags may be a solution, the id of the task for example, and the tile or some description in the comment.

That is very useful information to have **in addition** to a normal changeset comment.

Did you trace roads from imagery, or improve the geometry of an existing road and fix the highway= classification as a tile validation step? Did you add houses and schools? Is there anything you added where you aren't confident you interpreted the satellite imagery right, and someone doing validation should pay special attention to?

Here is one of mine from a HOT task: "Finish tracing road, add classification to it and some others nearby, trace storage tanks."

In fact, while I usually write descriptive changeset comments, I just took a look at my change history and came out thinking I should be (and should have been) even *more* verbose. Maybe it's because lately I have been working more on software code, where you can sometimes see a three-paragraph commit message explaining a 2-line code change...

--
Nicolás

On Thu, Nov 19, 2015 at 10:31 AM, Andy Townsend <[hidden email]> wrote:
It's a building that is a closed way, but only just.  How can I offer to help that mapper do what they are trying to do better?  All the changeset comment says is "#MissingMaps #hotosm-project-1254 Lubumbashi, Congo (DRC) #100mapathons #OSMGeoWeek " - to me the only useful information in there is "Lubumbashi, Congo (DRC)", which I already know since that is exactly where this edit is.

That's why I suggested to put more of a description in the comment.

What I mean is that, compared to most of the changesets out there, this is pretty good but that things can always be better and there is room for improvement without changing too much the way this works now.

More importantly, how do I contact the person who told this new mapper that "#MissingMaps #hotosm-project-1254 Lubumbashi, Congo (DRC) #100mapathons #OSMGeoWeek" was a suitable changeset comment, to explain to them what we use changeset comments for and what makes a good one?  If I can talk to them, I can probably help them help other new users too, and not just with stuff about changeset comments - as an OSM mapper think of all the "how to interpret imagery" latent knowledge that you have simply by being able to compare a place you visited with the imagery of that place.

We could even add the url of the task as a changeset tag. And yes the tasking manager won't be online forever but changesets also become less usefull the older they get.

Met vriendelijke groeten,
Best regards,

Ben Abelshausen