A mini milestone, Birmingham and London linked in OSM

A mini milestone, Birmingham and London linked in OSM

Alex Willmer
Evenin All,

I'd like to announce a small accomplishment for the project. Birmingham
to London, and vice versa, is now mapped in OSM.

The route is M1/M6, both carriageways are there.

On a similar note, if you haven't taken a look at Birmingham OSM
recently, you should find it worthwhile. Andy Robinson has done great
work, not least making me get my act together, so thankyou Andy. Please
take a look here:

http://www.openstreetmap.org/edit/view-map.html?lat=52.52&lon=-1.8&scale=0.0005062499949375

Regards

Alex

Re: A mini milestone, Birmingham and London linked in OSM

Simon Hewison
Alex Willmer wrote:
> Evenin All,
>
> I'd like to announce a small accomplishment for the project. Birmingham
> to London, and vice versa, is now mapped in OSM.

On a similar note, the M25 London Orbital Motorway is now complete, with
both carriageways though some junctions aren't entire due to lack of
tracks to/from those junctions from surrounding roads.

All we need now is the key/value system up and running, and we can get
things like the motorways rendered in a different colour to other roads,
and the carriageways defined as one-way roads.

--
Simon Hewison

Re: A mini milestone, Birmingham and London linked in OSM

Tom Carden
On 10/12/05, Simon Hewison <[hidden email]> wrote:
Alex Willmer wrote:
> Evenin All,
>
> I'd like to announce a small accomplishment for the project. Birmingham
> to London, and vice versa, is now mapped in OSM.

On a similar note, the M25 London Orbital Motorway is now complete, with
both carriageways though some junctions aren't entire due to lack of
tracks to/from those junctions from surrounding roads.

All we need now is the key/value system up and running, and we can get
things like the motorways rendered in a different colour to other roads,
and the carriageways defined as one-way roads.

Nice work everyone, congratulations for your persistence in the face of UI adversity!

If you're using the applet, I suspect you have more experience of it's performance and interface than anyone else (including me and Steve).  Any thoughts you have on how to improve it (either to me or this list) would be handy.  If you're not using the applet, can I ask what software you are using?

Steve - is there an ETA yet for key/value stuff?

Best,

Tom.

Tom Carden wrote:

> Nice work everyone, congratulations for your persistence in the face of
> UI adversity!
>
> If you're using the applet, I suspect you have more experience of it's
> performance and interface than anyone else (including me and Steve).
> Any thoughts you have on how to improve it (either to me or this list)
> would be handy.  If you're not using the applet, can I ask what software
> you are using?
>
> Steve - is there an ETA yet for key/value stuff?

Yes, I am using the applet.

I *ALWAYS* end up pressing the plus key at least twice each time the
applet refreshes, otherwise it becomes incredibly fiddly trying to be
pixel accurate.

I would really like the line names to actually work and be persistent.

It would be nice for the applet to have a drag/pan tool within it, which
would then need to call out and fetch a new data set (google maps
style), but it would be a lot quicker than reloading the entire applet.
My browser/java plug in seems to have a memory leak, and I'd prefer not
to reload an entire applet by clicking on the navigation in the HTML
wrapping.

Once the key/value system is in, and the
street-is-composed-of-multiple-segments, we'll need some way of block
selecting a set of segments and forming a street from it, or applying
the same key/value pair to everything on the selection. I was thinking
along the lines of the way that text highlighting tends to work:

one click - select individual segement
double click - select all segments in each direction up to the point
where a node has more than one link.
shift-click - select another individual line segment

One really nice thing for doing motorways and dual-carriageways would be
  a "convert selection to two carriageways".. but that would require
quite a bit of geometry calculations to appropriately place new nodes
approximately 10 metres away, at an angle of half way between the two
line segments.

--
Simon Hewison

Re: A mini milestone, Birmingham and London linked in OSM

Tom Carden
On 10/12/05, Simon Hewison <[hidden email]> wrote:

Yes, I am using the applet.

I *ALWAYS* end up pressing the plus key at least twice each time the
applet refreshes, otherwise it becomes incredibly fiddly trying to be
pixel accurate.

Yep, understood.  Some fixed-scales are in the works, and when we have those, I'll set a sensible line thickness for each scale.

I would really like the line names to actually work and be persistent.

So would I.  This is currently the only bug assigned to me, and I intend to fix it if Steve doesn't get there first.

It would be nice for the applet to have a drag/pan tool within it, which
would then need to call out and fetch a new data set (google maps
style), but it would be a lot quicker than reloading the entire applet.
My browser/java plug in seems to have a memory leak, and I'd prefer not
to reload an entire applet by clicking on the navigation in the HTML
wrapping.

Yeah, we're currently stuck with "simplest thing that could possibly work" (using the static viewer to position, and then going into the editor) but I have similar issues with memory leaks and stuff, and Firefox users on Linux find it frustrating too.  This will be nicer when the static viewer goes all google maps style, but the applet needs to keep up.

Once the key/value system is in, and the
street-is-composed-of-multiple-segments, we'll need some way of block
selecting a set of segments and forming a street from it, or applying
the same key/value pair to everything on the selection. I was thinking
along the lines of the way that text highlighting tends to work:

Me too!

one click - select individual segement
double click - select all segments in each direction up to the point
where a node has more than one link.
shift-click - select another individual line segment

I was going to go with shift-click for ranges and ctrl-click for individual add/remove from the selection set.  But yes, this is how it will work if I do it :)

One really nice thing for doing motorways and dual-carriageways would be
a "convert selection to two carriageways".. but that would require
quite a bit of geometry calculations to appropriately place new nodes
approximately 10 metres away, at an angle of half way between the two
line segments.

Sometimes carriages diverge quite a lot, but splitting and moving would be quicker than drawing twice in a lot of cases, I agree.

Thanks Simon,

Tom.