A problem with a location

iomeneandrei
Hi all,
I have a grass location (jgrass.zip), that I'm able to open properly with GRASS.
When I try to open it with JGrass, adding a layer starting from this location, I have the problem you can see in this  screenshot.

Is it a problem of my location, or a JGrass problem?

I have created GRASS location starting from sample.zip file you have in
http://geoserver.org/display/GEOSDOC/User+Tutorial+Coverage

Thank you,

Andrea Borruso

email: aborruso@tin.it
website: http://blog.spaziogis.it
my 2.0 life: http://aborruso.spaziogis.it
feed: http://feeds2.feedburner.com/Tanto
38° 7' 48" N, 13° 21' 9" E

Re: A problem with a location

Silvia Franceschi-4
Hi Andrea,
I suppose that you created this location directly in GRASS with the
r.in.gdal.
So the original tiff image is in long lat.

The problem is that JGrass does not supports long lat projections. It
is supposed that you can visualize a raster map in that projection
but the JGrass commands doesn't work with those. Here I can also see
a problem in visualization... so probably this can be a bug in the
renderer for long  lat maps.

The only solution is to reproject the maps in a metric projection.

Hope this helps

Silvia

> Hi all,
> I have a grass location ( http://n2.nabble.com/file/n1441692/
> jgrass.zip
> jgrass.zip ), that I'm able to open properly with GRASS.
> When I try to open it with JGrass, adding a layer starting from this
> location, I have the problem you can see in
> http://n2.nabble.com/file/n1441692/jgrass.jpg this   screenshot.
>
> Is it a problem of my location, or a JGrass problem?
>
> I have created GRASS location starting from sample.zip file you
> have in
> http://geoserver.org/display/GEOSDOC/User+Tutorial+Coverage
>
> Thank you,

> -----
> Andrea Borruso

Re: A problem with a location

iomeneandrei
Hi Silvia,
thank you very much.
Silvia Franceschi-4 wrote
The problem is that JGrass does not supports long lat projections.
Only a question: why jgrass does not support this so common projection? It seems to me that uDig supports it.
A lot of data sets have this SRS (epsg:4326), and it would be a great thing for JGrass users to read natively this kind of data.

Thank you again and have a nice sunday,

Andrea Borruso

email: aborruso@tin.it
website: http://blog.spaziogis.it
my 2.0 life: http://aborruso.spaziogis.it
feed: http://feeds2.feedburner.com/Tanto
38° 7' 48" N, 13° 21' 9" E

Re: A problem with a location

Silvia Franceschi-4
Hi!

> Only a question: why jgrass does not support this so common
> projection?

The problem is not visualizing the data, that should work but as you
saw at the moment not properly. Our problem are the analysis... all
our modules works taking into account of a square and of metric
dimension cell. So we have to search for a method to translate long
lat coordinates into metric.

> It
> seems to me that uDig supports it.

Yes but uDig just visualize this data...

> A lot of data sets have this SRS (epsg:4326), and it would be a
> great thing
> for JGrass users to read natively this kind of data.

For this and related problems we are working trying to introduce the
coverage for the GRASS data. This is a work Andrea is doing and we
already have some prototypes working with this. Coverages allow you
to visualize, analyze and reproject a GRASS raster map on the fly. In
this way we will support the visualization and, with some more work
also the elaboration on all the geotools supported projections.

I don't know if I wrote all right things but this are more or less
all the concepts. New development are done in JGrass trunk and uDig 1.2.

Have a nice Sunday! :-)

Silvia

> Thank you again and have a nice sunday,

> -----
> Andrea Borruso

Re: A problem with a location

Andrea Antonello
[...]
> I don't know if I wrote all right things but this are more or less
> all the concepts. New development are done in JGrass trunk and uDig 1.2.

Everything you wrote is right! Thanks.

> Have a nice Sunday! :-)

I am having :)
Andrea

> Silvia
>

>> Thank you again and have a nice sunday,

>> -----
>> Andrea Borruso

Re: A problem with a location

iomeneandrei
Dear Silvia and Andrea,

Silvia Franceschi-4 wrote
The problem is not visualizing the data, that should work but as you
saw at the moment not properly. Our problem are the analysis... all
our modules works taking into account of a square and of metric
dimension cell. So we have to search for a method to translate long
lat coordinates into metric.
a stupid question? JGrass can use grass as engine, and grass - tell me if I'm wrong - is able to make analysis with degrees dimension cells. Why JGrass does not use this grass capability?

Probably it's not a nice Sunday  ;-)

Thank you,

Andrea Borruso

email: aborruso@tin.it
website: http://blog.spaziogis.it
my 2.0 life: http://aborruso.spaziogis.it
feed: http://feeds2.feedburner.com/Tanto
38° 7' 48" N, 13° 21' 9" E

Re: A problem with a location

Silvia Franceschi-4
Ciao Andrea,

> a stupid question? JGrass can use grass as engine, and grass - tell
> me if
> I'm wrong - is able to make analysis with degrees dimension cells. Why
> JGrass does not use this grass capability?

For the GRASS commands everything should work also in JGrass, it is
just for JGrass tools that we didn't have the time to look for a
solution for long lat projections.
But, as I already wrote, the problem should be solved with the
introduction of the coverage support for GRASS binary maps.

> Probably it's not a nice Sunday  ;-)

Not really bad, but could be nicer... :-)

Silvia

Re: A problem with a location

iomeneandrei
Ciao Silvia e Francesco,
I'm not writing a new mailing list topic because I think the problem I have now is related to this thread.

I have this location (debug_regista.zip). When I open JGrass > Mapset Settings and choose the "regista" mapset I have inside this location, I have the error you can see in this screenshot.

What about it?

I'm able to work with this mapset in Grass.

I'm using jgrass foss4g 2008 version.

Thank you,

Andrea
Andrea Borruso

email: aborruso@tin.it
website: http://blog.spaziogis.it
my 2.0 life: http://aborruso.spaziogis.it
feed: http://feeds2.feedburner.com/Tanto
38° 7' 48" N, 13° 21' 9" E

Re: A problem with a location

Andrea Antonello
Hi Andrea,
the problem is due to the fact that there is no fcel folder inside your mapset.
If you could open a bug report about that, I will try to fix that asap.

The bug comes from my idea that a grass structure is created with a
fcell folder even if there are no fcell maps in it.

Probably some check goes wrong here.

Andrea