A top tip for winter mapping

LeedsTracker
Hello all,

I was out mapping on foot around town and found my bluetooth GPS was
getting poor reception in my coat pockets.

It was cold out, so I stuck the GPS on top of my head and pulled my
woolly hat over it.

Anyone looking closely might have seen a few flashing LEDs on my
bonce, but a price worth paying for better traces, I'm sure you'll
agree.

cheers,
LT

Re: A top tip for winter mapping

Ulf Lamping
LeedsTracker schrieb:

> Hello all,
>
> I was out mapping on foot around town and found my bluetooth GPS was
> getting poor reception in my coat pockets.
>
> It was cold out, so I stuck the GPS on top of my head and pulled my
> woolly hat over it.
>
> Anyone looking closely might have seen a few flashing LEDs on my
> bonce, but a price worth paying for better traces, I'm sure you'll
> agree.

We want photos! ;-)

Regards, ULFL

Re: A top tip for winter mapping

Douglas Furlong
2008/12/13 LeedsTracker <[hidden email]>
Hello all,

I was out mapping on foot around town and found my bluetooth GPS was
getting poor reception in my coat pockets.

It was cold out, so I stuck the GPS on top of my head and pulled my
woolly hat over it.

Anyone looking closely might have seen a few flashing LEDs on my
bonce, but a price worth paying for better traces, I'm sure you'll
agree.

Not a bad idea :)

While I was cycling a bit more, I was very tempted to some  velcro on the back of it, and some more on the strap of my ruck sack, so that it can be attached and always have clear line of sight.

Your idea is some what less hassle though :)

Doug

Re: A top tip for winter mapping

Stefan Baebler
That, my friends, is so last year's fashion!

A photo to prove it: http://www.openstreetmap.org/user/StefanB

I'm glad it's finally catching on though :)

Stefan

Douglas Furlong wrote:

> 2008/12/13 LeedsTracker <[hidden email]
> <mailto:[hidden email]>>
>
>     Hello all,
>
>     I was out mapping on foot around town and found my bluetooth GPS was
>     getting poor reception in my coat pockets.
>
>     It was cold out, so I stuck the GPS on top of my head and pulled my
>     woolly hat over it.
>
>     Anyone looking closely might have seen a few flashing LEDs on my
>     bonce, but a price worth paying for better traces, I'm sure you'll
>     agree.
>

> Not a bad idea :)
>
> While I was cycling a bit more, I was very tempted to some  velcro on
> the back of it, and some more on the strap of my ruck sack, so that it
> can be attached and always have clear line of sight.
>
> Your idea is some what less hassle though :)
>
> Doug

Re: A top tip for winter mapping

Ian Dees

On Sat, Dec 13, 2008 at 11:36 AM, LeedsTracker <[hidden email]> wrote:
Hello all,

I was out mapping on foot around town and found my bluetooth GPS was
getting poor reception in my coat pockets.

It was cold out, so I stuck the GPS on top of my head and pulled my
woolly hat over it.

I ran into this problem last winter, so I sewed a pair of GPS puck holding pockets on the top of my favorite hat. One holds my USB charger, the other holds my GPS data logger. It works well while driving, biking, train riding, and walking!

Re: A top tip for winter mapping

Hugh Barnes
On Sat, 13 Dec 2008 17:36:54 +0000
LeedsTracker <[hidden email]> wrote:

> It was cold out, so I stuck the GPS on top of my head and pulled my
> woolly hat over it.
>
> Anyone looking closely might have seen a few flashing LEDs on my
> bonce, but a price worth paying for better traces, I'm sure you'll
> agree.

… and a tip for the kids: don't try this on the pistes :~)

Re: A top tip for winter mapping

Beej Jorgensen
Stefan Baebler wrote:
> That, my friends, is so last year's fashion!
> A photo to prove it: http://www.openstreetmap.org/user/StefanB

Ha! :)

I have a nice neoprene case from Gilsson for my eTrex with a velcro loop
and a carabiner on it--I'd secure it to the top of my backpack while
mountain biking because there just too much vibration on the handlebars.
 Works quite well, indeed.

-Beej