ANNOUNCEMENT: T@H server will go away end of February

spaetz
Hi all,

I was just informed that the central ETH IT took an issue with the
constant large bandwidth that the t@h server uses. In addition the
server is four years old and getting old and senile...

This means that end of February, the T@h server will be shut down and go
away. Unless a replacement server (&admin) is being found, that will
also likely imply that the T@H service will go away (together with the
tiles web server) at that point.

I have previously argued, why I believe that a t@h service is not that
crucial anymore, although I still believe it is good that it was
there. I am not sure if and what should replace t@h, but generally
speaking there are so many ways now to customize and get rendered tiles,
that t@h is a bit of a dinosaur. A fun one though :-)

I would like to thank the ETH Zurich, and specifically the Institute for
Cartography of Prof. Lorenz Hurni (http://wwww.karto.ethz.ch) that had been sponsoring the server and the bandwidth over
the course of four years. They have been very generous, and never
complained about the bandwidth/diskspace  we were hogging all the
time. Finally a special thanks to Claudia Matthys, their IT sysadmin who
helped to purchase, setup and administer the thing.

Also thanks to the legions of renderers, client developers, and style
tweakers, such as Bob Kare, Petschge, Dirk Lüder-Kreie, the ROMA and
TRAPI developers, and the people involved in running the read-only
mirror architecture. That was and is amazing work that diverse people
have been putting together there.

I am not that much into mapping any more, but I will hang around and am
open to other fun projects.

Sebastian

Re: ANNOUNCEMENT: T@H server will go away end of February

Jeremy Adams
On Wed, Feb 1, 2012 at 6:15 AM, Sebastian Spaeth <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hi all,
>
> I was just informed that the central ETH IT took an issue with the
> constant large bandwidth that the t@h server uses. In addition the
> server is four years old and getting old and senile...
>
> This means that end of February, the T@h server will be shut down and go
> away. Unless a replacement server (&admin) is being found, that will
> also likely imply that the T@H service will go away (together with the
> tiles web server) at that point.
>
> I have previously argued, why I believe that a t@h service is not that
> crucial anymore, although I still believe it is good that it was
> there. I am not sure if and what should replace t@h, but generally
> speaking there are so many ways now to customize and get rendered tiles,
> that t@h is a bit of a dinosaur. A fun one though :-)
>
> I would like to thank the ETH Zurich, and specifically the Institute for
> Cartography of Prof. Lorenz Hurni (http://wwww.karto.ethz.ch) that had been sponsoring the server and the bandwidth over
> the course of four years. They have been very generous, and never
> complained about the bandwidth/diskspace  we were hogging all the
> time. Finally a special thanks to Claudia Matthys, their IT sysadmin who
> helped to purchase, setup and administer the thing.
>
> Also thanks to the legions of renderers, client developers, and style
> tweakers, such as Bob Kare, Petschge, Dirk Lüder-Kreie, the ROMA and
> TRAPI developers, and the people involved in running the read-only
> mirror architecture. That was and is amazing work that diverse people
> have been putting together there.
>
> I am not that much into mapping any more, but I will hang around and am
> open to other fun projects.
>
> Sebastian

Boy, that's a shame.  :(  Always sad to see the end of a project, even
if it has served it's purpose.  t@h was the only way to get instant
renders after doing mapping work back in the day and really is/was an
extremely interesting collection of methods and technologies to make
that happen.  I've enjoyed all the time I've spent hacking away at it,
whether running clients or keeping TRAPI running along.

I will truly be sad to see it go.  (although it'll be nice to get my
20Mbit of outbound TRAPI traffic back ;))  I'd like to echo
Sebastian's statements above and say thanks to everyone who made it
happen.  There were many hands at work in developing and running the
t@h infrastructure before it because as stable as it's been lately and
they all desire a heartfelt thank you.

-Jeremy

On Wed, 1 Feb 2012 19:44:47 -0500, Jeremy Adams <[hidden email]> wrote:
> > Also thanks to the legions of renderers, client developers, and style
> > tweakers, such as Bob Kare, Petschge, Dirk Lüder-Kreie, the ROMA and
> > TRAPI developers, and the people involved in running the read-only
> > mirror architecture. That was and is amazing work that diverse people
> > have been putting together there.

Hi Jeremy,

I forgot to mention you by name. Without a read-only API, there would
have been no T@H, and although many were involved in creating and
keeping it running, special thanks to you for keeping it up and running.

Official OSM.org servers had our clients blocked, so were needed
something that took over, and you had been doing a great job.

The whole thing was pretty stable in the end, I logged into the t@h
server only once during the last 9 months and that was after a
reboot. :-)

Best,
Sebastian

Re: ANNOUNCEMENT: T@H server will go away end of February

pavithran
On 1 February 2012 16:45, Sebastian Spaeth <[hidden email]> wrote:

> This means that end of February, the T@h server will be shut down and go
> away. Unless a replacement server (&admin) is being found, that will
> also likely imply that the T@H service will go away (together with the
> tiles web server) at that point.

Thats sad , especially coming during the time when I wanted to
organise a workshop on the basis of showing how easy its to get a t@h
client running on  a desktop to generate the png or svg tiles .

By the way does this move mean I cant even make TRAPI requests and get
the data to generate tiles so as to keep them at my own file store ?

I am a bit confused , if there is no way to query the API could I make
use of the .osm files to feed to the renderer(osmarender) in this case
?

Regards,
Pavi
http://look-pavi.blogspot.com

Re: ANNOUNCEMENT: T@H server will go away end of February

Matthias Julius
pavithran <[hidden email]> writes:

> By the way does this move mean I cant even make TRAPI requests and get
> the data to generate tiles so as to keep them at my own file store ?

TRAPI is run on independent servers by independent people.  Unless they
too decide to shut down their servers I see no reason why TRAPI should
go away.

Matthias