Able to host a tile.osm.org CDN node?

Grant Slater
Hi OpenStreetMap Talk-AU,

Quick Introduction: I am part of the volunteer Operations team who run
the OpenStreetMap.org infrastructure.

Our tile.openstreetmap.org CDN would greatly benefit from having a
cache server in Australia and/or New Zealand. It would make the
default rendered map on OpenStreetMap.org much faster for Australians.

The live CDN Country -> Edge Cache Mapping:
https://dns.openstreetmap.org/tile.openstreetmap.org.html

Know anyone who could help?
We're ideally looking for a physical server or powerful VM with 8GB+
RAM and at least 146GB of storage.
More details here: https://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Servers/Tile_CDN

Our current peak AU traffic is currently around 18,000,000 Bits per second.

Full breakdown here in bps:
https://git.openstreetmap.org/dns.git/blob/HEAD:/bandwidth/tile.openstreetmap.yml

Feel free to contact me off-list if you prefer.

Kind regards,

Grant

Re: [Talk-nz] Able to host a tile.osm.org CDN node?

Grant Slater
Hi John,

We have universities, internet exchanges, hosting companies and some
individuals which host servers for us.
The full list is here: https://hardware.openstreetmap.org/thanks/

We fully manage the software and operating system. All config is
managed via our chef https://github.com/openstreetmap/chef . We also
run a local firewall on each server. If physical hardware, we monitor
using it SMART, hp-health, etc and report any hardware issues back to
the hosting organisation.

AWS bandwidth is extremely expensive and is unlikely to be the most
effective way of improving OpenStreetMap. Most of the bandwidth used
by a regional tile cache is "local". We've had hosting and Internet
Exchanges who have appreciated hosting these caches, because they've
then been able to negotiate better peering agreements with others.

Kind regards,

Grant

On Tue, 19 Feb 2019 at 22:32, John Bryant <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hi Grant, it would be great to have something up and running here. What kind of org usually provides this elsewhere? Unis, companies, individuals? Is there a technical maintenance component required, or is this just hardware? AWS has a Sydney location, would this be a viable option?
>
> Thanks, John
>
> On Wed, 20 Feb 2019 at 06:55, Grant Slater <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>
>> Hi OpenStreetMap Talk-AU,
>>
>> Quick Introduction: I am part of the volunteer Operations team who run
>> the OpenStreetMap.org infrastructure.
>>
>> Our tile.openstreetmap.org CDN would greatly benefit from having a
>> cache server in Australia and/or New Zealand. It would make the
>> default rendered map on OpenStreetMap.org much faster for Australians.
>>
>> The live CDN Country -> Edge Cache Mapping:
>> https://dns.openstreetmap.org/tile.openstreetmap.org.html
>>
>> Know anyone who could help?
>> We're ideally looking for a physical server or powerful VM with 8GB+
>> RAM and at least 146GB of storage.
>> More details here: https://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Servers/Tile_CDN
>>
>> Our current peak AU traffic is currently around 18,000,000 Bits per second.
>>
>> Full breakdown here in bps:
>> https://git.openstreetmap.org/dns.git/blob/HEAD:/bandwidth/tile.openstreetmap.yml
>>
>> Feel free to contact me off-list if you prefer.
>>
>> Kind regards,
>>
>> Grant

Re: Able to host a tile.osm.org CDN node?

Michael-7
Hi Grant

I have most of the hardware in place already for this.

The only thing I don’t have right now is a router that can handle the higher speed plan from my ISP that would be required.

How urgently do you guys want something in place?

Thanks Michael

Hi Michael,

That sounds great. Don't mind waiting a bit.
Ubuntu 18.04, we'll manage all setup after initial installation.

SSH public keys:
https://github.com/openstreetmap/chef/blob/master/cookbooks/accounts/files/default/grant/.ssh/authorized_keys
https://github.com/openstreetmap/chef/blob/master/cookbooks/accounts/files/default/tomh/.ssh/authorized_keys

Our best contact for follow-up is operations AT osmfoundation DOT org

Kind regards,

Grant