About GRASS, uDig and GeoTiff

iomeneandrei
Dear all,
probably this is not the only place where I should have write, but JGrass is a bridge between GRASS and uDig and for this reason I'm writing here.

I have a geotiff file I'm able to load in JGrass. Then I import it with JGrass in a grass mapset, and I make some JGrass works with it (i.e. slope calculation). At the end I export it as geotiff. I make this because this format gives me the opportunity to exchange and archive simply the result of my geospatial process.

The problem is that it's impossible to open in JGrass this JGrass  exported geotiff file.

To open it properly, I must use gdal libraries:
  > gdal_translate -a_srs epsg:23033 input.tif output.tif

There are several differences  between these metainfo files: that one that makes it impossible to open the last file in uDig is the lack of this raw: AUTHORITY["EPSG","23033"].

I know this is a problem related to standards, and it's in some way more related to GRASS. Do you have some advice to solve this unpleasant incompatibility. Is there in this list some GRASS experienced user or some geotiff experienced user?

I think that to solve this problem would be a benefit for grass, udig and jgrass users.

Best regards,

Andrea

Andrea Borruso

email: aborruso@tin.it
website: http://blog.spaziogis.it
my 2.0 life: http://aborruso.spaziogis.it
feed: http://feeds2.feedburner.com/Tanto
38° 7' 48" N, 13° 21' 9" E

Re: About GRASS, uDig and GeoTiff

Andrea Antonello
Hi Andrea,

I am currently working on jgrass aligned with udig 1.2, so I can tell
only about that, but the result looks good.

I am able to load without problems all the tiffs you link to. Also the
from_jgrass.tiff loads without problems.

It could be that the udig 1.2 version, which better supports rasters,
has the issue you are talking about, solved.

Do you get any error message we could get smart of?

Ciao
Andrea

> probably this is not the only place where I should have write, but JGrass is
> a bridge between GRASS and uDig and for this reason I'm writing here.
>
> I have a geotiff  http://n2.nabble.com/file/n2254422/file1.tif file  I'm
> able to load in JGrass. Then I import it with JGrass in a grass mapset, and
> I make some JGrass works with it (i.e. slope calculation). At the end I
> export it as geotiff. I make this because this format gives me the
> opportunity to exchange and archive simply the result of my geospatial
> process.
>
> The problem is that it's impossible to open in JGrass
> http://n2.nabble.com/file/n2254422/from_jgrass.tif this JGrass   exported
> geotiff file.
>
> To open it properly, I must use gdal libraries:
>  > gdal_translate -a_srs epsg:23033 input.tif output.tif
>
> There are several
> http://n2.nabble.com/file/n2254422/file1%2Bvs%2Bfrom_jgrass.pdf differences
> between these metainfo files: that one that makes it impossible to open the
> last file in uDig is the lack of this raw: AUTHORITY["EPSG","23033"].
>
> I know this is a problem related to standards, and it's in some way more
> related to GRASS. Do you have some advice to solve this unpleasant
> incompatibility. Is there in this list some GRASS experienced user or some
> geotiff experienced user?
>
> I think that to solve this problem would be a benefit for grass, udig and
> jgrass users.
>
> Best regards,
>
> Andrea
>

> -----
> Andrea Borruso

Re: About GRASS, uDig and GeoTiff

iomeneandrei
Ciao Andrea,
Andrea Antonello wrote
Do you get any error message we could get smart of?
this is my errors log:
http://paste.ubuntu.com/113249/

I'm using jgrass-1.1.x-build20081208134147-win32.win32.x86.zip

grazie,