Accessing GRASS database in UDIG

Richard Cooper
Hi,

I'm having some trouble accessing the GRASS database from within UDIG.

I've followed the guidelines as per http://udig.refractions.net/confluence/display/EN/Introduction+to+the+Spatial+Toolbox.

I've set the path to the grass database (/home/user/grassdata) and grass64 (/usr/bin/grass64) file.

When I attempt to display a raster file (d.rast) I get the following error:

Process started: 2013-01-07 14:58:59
Command launched:
d.rast map=popmap10@PERMANENT
Cleaning up temporary files ...
Starting GRASS ...
//tmp/JGT-_6e746119_874e_431a_81dc_a68e307feaa0.sh: Not a valid GRASS location
Process finished: 2013-01-07 14:59:04

Example of path entered to display raster: /home/user/grassdata/location_name/PERMANENT/cell/popmap10

Are there any guidelines about how to use GRASS modules after they have been installed? Perhaps a config option somewhere?

The grassdatabase works fine in GRASS alone.

Thanks,
Richard

UDIG: 1.3.2
GRASS 6.4.2
OS: Linux Mint 13 (ubuntu precise)
JGRASSTOOLS: 0.7.6

Re: Accessing GRASS database in UDIG

Andrea Antonello
Hi Richard,

> I'm having some trouble accessing the GRASS database from within UDIG.
>
> I've followed the guidelines as per
> http://udig.refractions.net/confluence/display/EN/Introduction+to+the+Spatial+Toolbox.
>
> I've set the path to the grass database (/home/user/grassdata) and grass64
> (/usr/bin/grass64) file.
>
> When I attempt to display a raster file (d.rast) I get the following error:
>
> Process started: 2013-01-07 14:58:59
>
> Command launched:
>
> d.rast map=popmap10@PERMANENT
>
> Cleaning up temporary files ...
>
> Starting GRASS ...
>
> //tmp/JGT-_6e746119_874e_431a_81dc_a68e307feaa0.sh: Not a valid GRASS
> location
>
> Process finished: 2013-01-07 14:59:04

The spatial toolbox supports *non* interactive GRASS commands, so
those bound to the display are not supported. It should not even
appear in the list of avaliable modules.

If you just need to display a GRASS raster you can do it without toolbox.

The fastest way to do so is:
- create an empty file named "wkp.jgrass" in your location (the
extention jgrass counts here)
- then simply drag and drop that file into uDig's catalog
- the first time it will ask you to choose a projection from the usual
list, because uDig is not able to reproduce the projection info from
GRASS' projection file
- once dragged, the location will show you mapsets and raster maps
inside the catalog

Does that help?
Andrea