Add amenity=childcare to Map Features?

Joseph Eisenberg
The tag amenity=childcare is fairly popular (used 17,000 times), and
it's supported by the iD editor and the Openstreetmap-carto rendering.

Should this tag be added to the wiki page Map Features?

The original proposal wasn't supported because some people thought
that amenity=kindergarten should be used for all types of childcare,
not only preschools/kindergartens. This seems to be the common
situatoin in Germany, but may not match they types of daycare /
childcare / preschool facilities available in other countries. For
example, in the USA most preschools do not take older children after
school; such after-school care is usually provided by separate
programs.

Wiki page:  https://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Tag:amenity%3Dchildcare
Proposal:  https://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Proposed_features/childcare
Compare to Kindergarten:
https://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Tag:amenity%3Dkindergarten

Re: Add amenity=childcare to Map Features?

Valor Naram
why not. Babykarte has also support for `amenity=childcare`

Re: Add amenity=childcare to Map Features?

Joseph Eisenberg
Anyone else have any opinion, in favor or against adding
amenity=childcare to the wiki page Map Features, and to
Template:Map_Features:amenity?

If there are any concerns, I can make a proposal to discuss it fully,
but if no one objects after 2 weeks, then I will add it. (Unless
anyone objects to this process)

On 8/25/19, Valor Naram <[hidden email]> wrote:

> why not. Babykarte has also support for `amenity=childcare`

Graeme Fitzpatrick

On Tue, 27 Aug 2019 at 13:31, Joseph Eisenberg <[hidden email]> wrote:
Anyone else have any opinion, in favor or against adding
amenity=childcare to the wiki page Map Features, and to
Template:Map_Features:amenity?

Can't see any problems, thanks, Joseph.

Thanks

Graeme

Re: Add amenity=childcare to Map Features?

Markus-5
On Sun, 25 Aug 2019 at 06:39, Joseph Eisenberg
<[hidden email]> wrote:

> Should this tag be added to the wiki page Map Features?

Yes, please.

Markus

Re: Add amenity=childcare to Map Features?

Stephan Bösch-Plepelits-2
On Sun, Aug 25, 2019 at 12:35:45PM +0200, Valor Naram wrote:
> why not. Babykarte has also support for `amenity=childcare`
I just included it in the "Educational Services" category of
OpenStreetBrowser:
https://www.openstreetbrowser.org/#categories=education

greetings,
        Stephan
--
Seid unbequem, seid Sand, nicht Öl im Getriebe der Welt! - Günther Eich
,----------------------------------------------------------------------.

Re: Add amenity=childcare to Map Features?

Joseph Eisenberg
There were 5 positive comments in favor, and none in opposition, so
I've added amenity=childcare to map features as discussed. See
https://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Template:Map_Features:amenity

I've added to the description: "Describes a place where children are
looked after **which is not an amenity=kindergarten**" and added the
text to the page:

This tag is used for places where children are looked after,
**including a nursery or daycare which takes care of small children
who are too young for amenity=kindergarten or preschool, and
after-school childcare facilities.**

Hopefully that helps clarify why this tag is used instead of
amenity=kindergarten in countries where a "kindergarten" or preschool
does not accept school-aged or nursery-age children.

- Joseph