Add man_made=goods_conveyor to Map Features or vote on the proposal first?

Add man_made=goods_conveyor to Map Features or vote on the proposal first?

Joseph Eisenberg
The tag man_made=goods_conveyor was proposed years ago for industrial
conveyor belts and systems which move goods like mining ore. It is now
documented as "in use" and used over 4000 times:

https://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Tag%3Aman_made%3Dgoods_conveyor

"A stationary conveyor system for transporting materials between locations."

"How to map: Draw a way way in the direction of the transport and tag
it man_made=goods_conveyor. You can add the tag resource=* to indicate
the material being transported."

Usage is global:
https://taginfo.openstreetmap.org/tags/?key=man_made&value=goods_conveyor#map

But it's not on the Key:man_made page or Map Features.

Is there enough usage to just add it to those pages, or should the
proposal be voted on first?

Old proposal page from 2015:
https://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Proposed_features/Goods_conveyor

- Joseph Eisenberg

Re: Add man_made=goods_conveyor to Map Features or vote on the proposal first?

> On 11. Mar 2020, at 23:48, Joseph Eisenberg <[hidden email]> wrote:
>

> Is there enough usage to just add it to those pages, or should the
> proposal be voted on first?

I am in favor of adding it right away.

Cheers Martin

Re: Add man_made=goods_conveyor to Map Features or vote on the proposal first?

Kevin Kenny-3
On Wed, Mar 11, 2020 at 6:48 PM Joseph Eisenberg
<[hidden email]> wrote:

> The tag man_made=goods_conveyor was proposed years ago for industrial
> conveyor belts and systems which move goods like mining ore. It is now
> documented as "in use" and used over 4000 times:
>
> https://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Tag%3Aman_made%3Dgoods_conveyor
>
> "A stationary conveyor system for transporting materials between locations."
>
> "How to map: Draw a way way in the direction of the transport and tag
> it man_made=goods_conveyor. You can add the tag resource=* to indicate
> the material being transported."

Just a quick question. Is it reasonable to support `oneway=no`? I know
of one that serves a lime kiln that hauls coal one way and cement the
other. The discussion on the WIki states, "I think that virtually all
conveyors are unidirectional, and this calls for an unidirectional map
symbol," but that's not universal.

No objection to rendering this!

Re: Add man_made=goods_conveyor to Map Features or vote on the proposal first?

Marc M.
Le 11.03.20 à 23:47, Joseph Eisenberg a écrit :
> The tag man_made=goods_conveyor was proposed years ago for industrial
> conveyor belts and systems which move goods like mining ore. It is now
> documented as "in use" and used over 4000 times:
>
> https://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Tag%3Aman_made%3Dgoods_conveyor
>
> "A stationary conveyor system for transporting materials between locations."

you may do both :
- run a RFC/vote because it's the best way to get the maximum amount of
feedback and get the "approved" status
- add to the maps feature right now, if the RFC/vote show a major issue,
it's never too late to revert that.

Re: Add man_made=goods_conveyor to Map Features or vote on the proposal first?

Joseph Eisenberg
> Is it reasonable to support `oneway=no`? I know of one that serves a lime kiln that hauls coal one way and cement the other.

Is the same conveyor reversed from time to time, or are there two
parts, one for the coal and one for the cement?

If it's really the same object which is being used in both directions,
I think oneway=no (or some similar tag) would be a good idea.

The original proposal page suggested that the ways should be mapped in
the direction that the conveyor operates, but I have not checked to
see if mappers have been following that advice or not.

> No objection to rendering this!

I don't have any rendering ideas for this feature in the Openstreetmap
Carto map style, but if someone wants to work on it, see issue 1999:
https://github.com/gravitystorm/openstreetmap-carto/issues/1999

- Joseph Eisenberg

On 3/12/20, Kevin Kenny <[hidden email]> wrote:

> On Wed, Mar 11, 2020 at 6:48 PM Joseph Eisenberg
> <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>
>> The tag man_made=goods_conveyor was proposed years ago for industrial
>> conveyor belts and systems which move goods like mining ore. It is now
>> documented as "in use" and used over 4000 times:
>>
>> https://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Tag%3Aman_made%3Dgoods_conveyor
>>
>> "A stationary conveyor system for transporting materials between
>> locations."
>>
>> "How to map: Draw a way way in the direction of the transport and tag
>> it man_made=goods_conveyor. You can add the tag resource=* to indicate
>> the material being transported."
>
> Just a quick question. Is it reasonable to support `oneway=no`? I know
> of one that serves a lime kiln that hauls coal one way and cement the
> other. The discussion on the WIki states, "I think that virtually all
> conveyors are unidirectional, and this calls for an unidirectional map
> symbol," but that's not universal.
>
> No objection to rendering this!

Re: Add man_made=goods_conveyor to Map Features or vote on the proposal first?

> On 12. Mar 2020, at 01:38, Kevin Kenny <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> Just a quick question. Is it reasonable to support `oneway=no`? I know
> of one that serves a lime kiln that hauls coal one way and cement the
> other.

is this at the same time/ parallel, or reversing?

If it is the former, maybe it should be mapped as 2 conveyors?

Cheers Martin

Re: Add man_made=goods_conveyor to Map Features or vote on the proposal first?

Michal Fabík
On 3/12/20 1:37 AM, Kevin Kenny wrote:

> Just a quick question. Is it reasonable to support `oneway=no`? I know
> of one that serves a lime kiln that hauls coal one way and cement the
> other. The discussion on the WIki states, "I think that virtually all
> conveyors are unidirectional, and this calls for an unidirectional map
> symbol," but that's not universal.

Definitely makes sense. One example would be coal stacker/reclaimer machines whose main conveyor is reversible to facilitate both modes of operation.

Michal Fabík

Re: Add man_made=goods_conveyor to Map Features or vote on the proposal first?

+1

Javbw

> On Mar 12, 2020, at 8:22 AM, Martin Koppenhoefer <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> I am in favor of adding it right away.

Re: Add man_made=goods_conveyor to Map Features or vote on the proposal first?

Joseph Eisenberg
It’s been added to the lists at Key:man_made and Map Features.

On Sun, Mar 15, 2020 at 5:31 AM John Willis via Tagging <[hidden email]> wrote:
+1

Javbw

> On Mar 12, 2020, at 8:22 AM, Martin Koppenhoefer <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> I am in favor of adding it right away.

Re: Add man_made=goods_conveyor to Map Features or vote on the proposal first?

Joseph Eisenberg
I've opened an issue at JOSM to add a preset. Could someone check if
there is one in iD, and if not, open an issue to add
man_made=goods_conveyor at https://github.com/openstreetmap/iD/pulls
please?

- Joseph Eisenberg