Add some tag to identify disputed borders ?

Add some tag to identify disputed borders ?

Noémie Lehuby-3

Hello,

There seems to be no actual consensus on the way to map disputed borders.
The statement from the Foundation recommend to map the border that "best meets realities on the ground" but it's not what is actually in our database:
See for instance :
https://www.openstreetmap.org/#map=12/45.8481/18.8378
https://framapic.org/kIvnPSllBtnv/h1J8xti7US1F.gif
Both borders (according to Croatia vs according to Serbia) are mapped.

The same between Soudan and South Soudan: https://framapic.org/lcWCkmek7L7i/icYVenvHzPZs.gif

In some places, there are boundary=disputed or dispute=yes on the boundary ways, which is very convenient for a map-maker to know that there is a dispute on these border and that you may want to render it with a different style (or use another source).
Should this practice be generalized on all disputed borders or at least submitted as a proposal ?

--
Noémie Lehuby
Qwant Research

Re: Add some tag to identify disputed borders ?

Yuri Astrakhan-2
Another related issue -- maritime disputed borders. In the case of Crimea, the disputed border with Russia is over water, thus not showing clearly in many renderings, and over land with Ukraine, showing as a solid line - thus appearing to side with the Russian interpretation.

A while ago Paul Norman wrote osmborder tool to help with the disputed and maritime border rendering [1].  His tool mostly uses disputed=yes . The big problem with rendering was that multiple borders (city/county/state/country) were all overlapping one on top of the other, producing a solid line. Instead, when drawing there should always be just one line with the lowest admin level.

On Fri, Oct 26, 2018 at 12:05 PM Noémie Lehuby <[hidden email]> wrote:

[...]

Martitime disputed borders - was "Add some tag to identify disputed borders ?"

Andy Townsend
On 26/10/2018 18:16, Yuri Astrakhan wrote:
> Another related issue -- maritime disputed borders.

Indeed, that is a case where overlapping admin_level=2 boundaries may
make sense.

Another example is around Gibraltar, where both of the interested
parties can claim to have some control over the some of the same pieces
of the area concerned, and it's another place where I don't think what
we've got in OSM is as good as it could be.

In the case of Gibraltar I'd suggest that a full discussion of the
current situation is probably in order, and I've suggested the
"International Boundaries" thread in the OSM forum
https://forum.openstreetmap.org/viewtopic.php?id=61207 in the past as a
place for that (see e.g. my comments on
https://www.openstreetmap.org/changeset/62809907 ).  I used that forum
as a central place to refer people to during the discussions about the
Western Sahara issues (see
https://forum.openstreetmap.org/viewtopic.php?pid=602864#p602864 for the
start of that).

Best Regards,