Addition of highway=emergency_bay and priority_road=yes to Map Features?

Addition of highway=emergency_bay and priority_road=yes to Map Features?

Joseph Eisenberg
Two tags were just added to the list of approved and de-facto highway=* tags on Map features: highway=emergency_bay and priority_road=yes. Both have mainly been used in Germany and nearby areas of central Europe.

I question whether these tags are established enough to merit inclusion on the Highway map features page and the main Map Features list. Thoughts?

- Joseph Eisenberg

Re: Addition of highway=emergency_bay and priority_road=yes to Map Features?

Alan Mackie

On Tue, 15 Sep 2020, 07:52 Joseph Eisenberg, <[hidden email]> wrote:
Two tags were just added to the list of approved and de-facto highway=* tags on Map features: highway=emergency_bay and priority_road=yes. Both have mainly been used in Germany and nearby areas of central Europe.

I question whether these tags are established enough to merit inclusion on the Highway map features page and the main Map Features list. Thoughts?

Priority road definitely seems like you'd want it on the map features list if you're in a country that uses it.

Not sure how common emergency bays are?

- Joseph Eisenberg

Re: Addition of highway=emergency_bay and priority_road=yes to Map Features?

> On 16. Sep 2020, at 09:53, Alan Mackie <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> Priority road definitely seems like you'd want it on the map features list if you're in a country that uses it.
>
> Not sure how common emergency bays are?

+1 for priority roads (although I believe the opposite is much more common: adding giveway and stop restrictions to crossing roads)

emergency bays are quite common in Italy and Germany when there isn’t an emergency lane.

Cheers Martin

Re: Addition of highway=emergency_bay and priority_road=yes to Map Features?

Graeme Fitzpatrick

On Wed, 16 Sep 2020 at 18:00, Martin Koppenhoefer <[hidden email]> wrote:

emergency bays are quite common in Italy and Germany when there isn’t an emergency lane.

Quite common on major highways out here as well.

Very handy thing to know if e.g. you have a flat tyre & you can see that there's a stopping bay 300m away rather than stopping to change it "right here" :-(

Thanks

Graeme

Re: Addition of highway=emergency_bay and priority_road=yes to Map Features?

Tordanik
> emergency bays are quite common in Italy and Germany when there isn’t an emergency lane.

The pertinent question isn't so much if emergency bays are common, but
if this particular tagging for them is established.

In my opinion, mapping what amounts to a short lane (no physical
separation) as a separate way is contrary to what we usually do, e.g.
with bus bays. And seeing how the tag currently has less than a thousand
uses on ways, I feel that the practice of using highway=emergency_bay on
ways should not be recommended on Map Features.

Re: Addition of highway=emergency_bay and priority_road=yes to Map Features?

Matthew Woehlke
On 16/09/2020 17.07, Graeme Fitzpatrick wrote:
> On Wed, 16 Sep 2020 at 18:00, Martin Koppenhoefer wrote:
>> emergency bays are quite common in Italy and Germany when there isn’t an
>> emergency lane.
>
> Quite common on major highways out here as well.

I'm not sure if I'd call them "common", but they occur in the US also.
(I would guess they're more common on freeways with longer distances
between exits; I seem to mainly notice them on long trips, and not so
much around cities.)

--
Matthew

Re: Addition of highway=emergency_bay and priority_road=yes to Map Features?

voschix

On Wed, 16 Sep 2020 at 10:00, Martin Koppenhoefer <[hidden email]> wrote:
emergency bays are quite common in Italy
Italy:
622 ways
2020 nodes
(not limited to motorways without emergency lanes - vedi esempio)

and Germany when there isn’t an emergency lane.