Address Searches on new GPSmap66S

nwillink
Hi All

Just say that the latest GPSmap66S gives a 'Cannot find address'  when
searching for an address!

Oddly, it lists any address you have entered, ie it finds the names of
streets and towns/cities even the numbers of an address but annoyingly
refuses to locate them on the map.

Checking the manual it says:

'You can use optional City Navigator maps to search for addresses.'

mmm....

So it only works with City Navigator maps ,.... a sign of things to come?

Apart from that , mkgmap's custom maps work !

Nick

Re: Address Searches on new GPSmap66S

Gerd Petermann
Hi Nick,

well, my Oregon 600 no longer uses the index when I search for restaurants. No idea if that started after an update of the firmware
or a change in mkgmap. Search takes very long, even if map contains only one tile.
It might not be intended by Garmin, maybe they just change the firmware without testing it with our maps?

Gerd

Re: Address Searches on new GPSmap66S

nwillink
Hi Gerd

I have been in contact with someone at Garmin about another bug and will
ask him about it.

I can see where they are coming from , ie city navigator maps don't seem
to 'popular'

Interestingly , have tested this bug on a Topo France with the same
result so it might be a bug.

With this gps not problems with searching for restaurants

Nick

On 07/11/2018 11:10, Gerd Petermann wrote:

> Hi Nick,
>
> well, my Oregon 600 no longer uses the index when I search for restaurants. No idea if that started after an update of the firmware
> or a change in mkgmap. Search takes very long, even if map contains only one tile.
> It might not be intended by Garmin, maybe they just change the firmware without testing it with our maps?
>
> Gerd

Ticker Berkin
I've just got a new Etrex 30x, updated with the latest firmware, and
most of the searching is very slow compared with my almost 10 year old
Etrex Legend.

Using mkgmap generated map of the British Isles:

On the Legend, earching for city gives a narrowed list as fast as I can
type in each character of the name. The 30x takes 5 seconds after
Search is selected before displaying nearby cities, then takes about 8
seconds per letter entered before showing the narrowed list. Typing
ahead can reduce the total time taken.

Address searches do work, with the City selection being much faster
than the City search, but I have lots of City points that are not part
of an address.

Ticker

On Wed, 2018-11-07 at 11:25 +0000, osm@pinns wrote:

> Hi Gerd
>
> I have been in contact with someone at Garmin about another bug and
> will
> ask him about it.
>
> I can see where they are coming from , ie city navigator maps don't
> seem
> to 'popular'
>
> Interestingly , have tested this bug on a Topo France with the same
> result so it might be a bug.
>
> With this gps not problems with searching for restaurants
>
> Nick
>
> On 07/11/2018 11:10, Gerd Petermann wrote:
> > Hi Nick,
> >
> > well, my Oregon 600 no longer uses the index when I search for
> > restaurants. No idea if that started after an update of the
> > firmware
> > or a change in mkgmap. Search takes very long, even if map contains
> > only one tile.
> > It might not be intended by Garmin, maybe they just change the
> > firmware without testing it with our maps?
> >
> > Gerd

Hi Ticker

Thanks for that info.

Have reported the bug to Garmin .

Your info will be very useful when / if they reply.

Nick

On 07/11/2018 15:57, Ticker Berkin wrote:

> I've just got a new Etrex 30x, updated with the latest firmware, and
> most of the searching is very slow compared with my almost 10 year old
> Etrex Legend.
>
> Using mkgmap generated map of the British Isles:
>
> On the Legend, earching for city gives a narrowed list as fast as I can
> type in each character of the name. The 30x takes 5 seconds after
> Search is selected before displaying nearby cities, then takes about 8
> seconds per letter entered before showing the narrowed list. Typing
> ahead can reduce the total time taken.
>
> Address searches do work, with the City selection being much faster
> than the City search, but I have lots of City points that are not part
> of an address.
>
> Ticker
>

> On Wed, 2018-11-07 at 11:25 +0000, osm@pinns wrote:
>> Hi Gerd
>>
>> I have been in contact with someone at Garmin about another bug and
>> will
>> ask him about it.
>>
>> I can see where they are coming from , ie city navigator maps don't
>> seem
>> to 'popular'
>>
>> Interestingly , have tested this bug on a Topo France with the same
>> result so it might be a bug.
>>
>> With this gps not problems with searching for restaurants
>>
>> Nick
>>
>> On 07/11/2018 11:10, Gerd Petermann wrote:
>>> Hi Nick,
>>>
>>> well, my Oregon 600 no longer uses the index when I search for
>>> restaurants. No idea if that started after an update of the
>>> firmware
>>> or a change in mkgmap. Search takes very long, even if map contains
>>> only one tile.
>>> It might not be intended by Garmin, maybe they just change the
>>> firmware without testing it with our maps?
>>>
>>> Gerd

manfred.haiduk
Just some thoughts from my side about adress search on garmin device. Since more than a year i owned the new GPSMAP276CX. Comparing to the former GPSMAP276 the adress search is extremly slow, even when i first do it with GARMIN CITY NAVIGATOR MAP. The old one (276) show up search results after each letter which was typed in, nearly the same time, as i typed them. The new 276Cx seems to be blocked during input, you have to wait some seconds between each letter. But in the end, the search has success. This behaviour can be seen also on self made maps compiled with mkgmap. I myself have the feeling, that GARMIN uses a slow search routine compared to former devices. Another hint, i think they have merged their software to have only one branch for all street navigation devices, i.e Nuvi, GPSMAP etc

Von meinem Samsung Gerät gesendet.

Von: "osm@pinns" <[hidden email]>
Datum: 07.11.2018 17:00 (GMT+01:00)
An: [hidden email]
Betreff: Re: [mkgmap-dev] Address Searches on new GPSmap66S

Hi Ticker

Thanks for that info.

Have reported the bug to Garmin .

Your info will be very useful when / if they reply.

Nick

On 07/11/2018 15:57, Ticker Berkin wrote:

> I've just got a new Etrex 30x, updated with the latest firmware, and
> most of the searching is very slow compared with my almost 10 year old
> Etrex Legend.
>
> Using mkgmap generated map of the British Isles:
>
> On the Legend, earching for city gives a narrowed list as fast as I can
> type in each character of the name. The 30x takes 5 seconds after
> Search is selected before displaying nearby cities, then takes about 8
> seconds per letter entered before showing the narrowed list. Typing
> ahead can reduce the total time taken.
>
> Address searches do work, with the City selection being much faster
> than the City search, but I have lots of City points that are not part
> of an address.
>
> Ticker
>

> On Wed, 2018-11-07 at 11:25 +0000, osm@pinns wrote:
>> Hi Gerd
>>
>> I have been in contact with someone at Garmin about another bug and
>> will
>> ask him about it.
>>
>> I can see where they are coming from , ie city navigator maps don't
>> seem
>> to 'popular'
>>
>> Interestingly , have tested this bug on a Topo France with the same
>> result so it might be a bug.
>>
>> With this gps not problems with searching for restaurants
>>
>> Nick
>>
>> On 07/11/2018 11:10, Gerd Petermann wrote:
>>> Hi Nick,
>>>
>>> well, my Oregon 600 no longer uses the index when I search for
>>> restaurants. No idea if that started after an update of the
>>> firmware
>>> or a change in mkgmap. Search takes very long, even if map contains
>>> only one tile.
>>> It might not be intended by Garmin, maybe they just change the
>>> firmware without testing it with our maps?
>>>
>>> Gerd

Interesting.

Actually, in my case the gpsmap66 finds the addresses very quickly

There is one major improvement, you don't need to go on a linear journey from country to town to  housenumber to street

Unfortunately , it always says 'Not found'

Von: "osm@pinns" [hidden email]
Datum: 07.11.2018 17:00 (GMT+01:00)
An: [hidden email]