Addresss index on GPSMAP 60CSx

Kent Friis
Has anyone had any success getting the address index to work on a 60CSx
or similar?

I have built a map of Denmark (and a bit of Germany), using r2174.
(MapSource was not involved in generating these maps).

Mkgmap options:

java -Xmx1500m -enableassertions -jar "$MKGMAP"
--location-autofill=bounds --rou te --link-pois-to-ways
--coastlinefile=coastlines_europe.osm.pbf --generate-sea= multipolygon
--latin1 --remove-short-arcs --output-dir=tmp -c tmp/template.args

java -Xmx1500m -enableassertions -jar "$MKGMAP" --index --gmapsupp
tmp/*.img

When I try to search for an address, using the resulting gmapsupp.img,
I can only find:

Region:
"Program Licensed Unde"
and two blank lines.

City:
None Found

Street name:
"Tas Fischpavillon"

Entering a house number doesn't change any of these.

Any ideas?

/Kent

Re: Addresss index on GPSMAP 60CSx

railrun
Hello Kent,

2 things. You should use --route, not --rou te
And I had also problems with --link-pois-to-ways. Leave it out and see if it works.
Do you use the default-style-files? When not, have you extended your own style-files (lines,points, polygons) with the locator-rules?
You will find them in the default-style-files.

//Martin

Am 21.01.2012 um 13:48 schrieb Kent Friis:

> Has anyone had any success getting the address index to work on a 60CSx
> or similar?
>
> I have built a map of Denmark (and a bit of Germany), using r2174.
> (MapSource was not involved in generating these maps).
>
> Mkgmap options:
>
> java -Xmx1500m -enableassertions -jar "$MKGMAP"
> --location-autofill=bounds --rou te --link-pois-to-ways
> --coastlinefile=coastlines_europe.osm.pbf --generate-sea= multipolygon
> --latin1 --remove-short-arcs --output-dir=tmp -c tmp/template.args
>
> java -Xmx1500m -enableassertions -jar "$MKGMAP" --index --gmapsupp
> tmp/*.img
>
> When I try to search for an address, using the resulting gmapsupp.img,
> I can only find:
>
> Region:
> "Program Licensed Unde"
> and two blank lines.
>
> City:
> None Found
>
> Street name:
> "Tas Fischpavillon"
>
> Entering a house number doesn't change any of these.
>
> Any ideas?
>
> /Kent

Re: Addresss index on GPSMAP 60CSx

Kent Friis
Hello

I blame my e-mail program for the extra space. It is not in the
script.

I removed --link-pois-to-ways, that didn't change anything wrt. the
address seach results.

The style I'm using is whatever mkgmap uses by default. I have not
created any style files.

/Kent

On Sat, 21 Jan 2012 13:54:10 +0100
Martin <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hello Kent,
>
> 2 things. You should use --route, not --rou te
> And I had also problems with --link-pois-to-ways. Leave it out and
> see if it works. Do you use the default-style-files? When not, have
> you extended your own style-files (lines,points, polygons) with the
> locator-rules? You will find them in the default-style-files.
>
> //Martin
>
> Am 21.01.2012 um 13:48 schrieb Kent Friis:
>
> > Has anyone had any success getting the address index to work on a
> > 60CSx or similar?
> >
> > I have built a map of Denmark (and a bit of Germany), using r2174.
> > (MapSource was not involved in generating these maps).
> >
> > Mkgmap options:
> >
> > java -Xmx1500m -enableassertions -jar "$MKGMAP"
> > --location-autofill=bounds --rou te --link-pois-to-ways
> > --coastlinefile=coastlines_europe.osm.pbf --generate-sea=
> > multipolygon
> > --latin1 --remove-short-arcs --output-dir=tmp -c tmp/template.args
> >
> > java -Xmx1500m -enableassertions -jar "$MKGMAP" --index --gmapsupp
> > tmp/*.img
> >
> > When I try to search for an address, using the resulting
> > gmapsupp.img, I can only find:
> >
> > Region:
> > "Program Licensed Unde"
> > and two blank lines.
> >
> > City:
> > None Found
> >
> > Street name:
> > "Tas Fischpavillon"
> >
> > Entering a house number doesn't change any of these.
> >
> > Any ideas?
> >
> > /Kent

Re: Addresss index on GPSMAP 60CSx

Thorsten Kukuk
On Sat, Jan 21, Kent Friis wrote:

> Has anyone had any success getting the address index to work on a 60CSx
> or similar?

Yes, works fine, tested it some minutes ago on a 60CSx => http://osm.thkukuk.de

  Thorsten

GF: Jeff Hawn, Jennifer Guild, Felix Imend├Ârffer, HRB 16746 (AG N├╝rnberg)

Re: Addresss index on GPSMAP 60CSx

Steve Ratcliffe
Hi

> java -Xmx1500m -enableassertions -jar "$MKGMAP"
> --location-autofill=bounds --rou te --link-pois-to-ways
> --coastlinefile=coastlines_europe.osm.pbf --generate-sea= multipolygon
> --latin1 --remove-short-arcs --output-dir=tmp -c tmp/template.args
>
> java -Xmx1500m -enableassertions -jar "$MKGMAP" --index --gmapsupp
> tmp/*.img

The index must be built with the same code page as is used for the
tiles. In this case --latin1

It ought to be possible for mkgmap to determine the correct character
set info from the tiles it is given, but it does not currently do that.

..Steve

Re: Addresss index on GPSMAP 60CSx

Kent Friis
On Sat, 21 Jan 2012 14:16:12 +0000
Steve Ratcliffe <[hidden email]> wrote:

> > java -Xmx1500m -enableassertions -jar "$MKGMAP"
> > --location-autofill=bounds --rou te --link-pois-to-ways
> > --coastlinefile=coastlines_europe.osm.pbf --generate-sea=
> > multipolygon
> > --latin1 --remove-short-arcs --output-dir=tmp -c tmp/template.args
> >
> > java -Xmx1500m -enableassertions -jar "$MKGMAP" --index --gmapsupp
> > tmp/*.img
>
> The index must be built with the same code page as is used for the
> tiles. In this case --latin1

Adding --latin1 to the second mkgmap line gave me four streets to
choose from:

"Vlyvej"
"Ergvej"
"Trasse (172,173) Hha"
"Irene Rosenberg"

The first two looks like the end of Danish street names, e.g.
"Skovlyvej", "Ellebjergvej" (or other roads ending with the same
letters). The third looks like the end of a German road name (something
ending in "Strasse". The last one looks like the name of a person,
could be a road named after a person, but they usually have something
tagged on the end (-vej, -strasse, -road).

Just noticed, picking the "Licensed Under" region, gave me two new
streets to search for:

"Vej"
"En"

Looks to me like it's grabbing "random" parts of words from the index.

/Kent

Re: Addresss index on GPSMAP 60CSx

Steve Ratcliffe
Hi

> Looks to me like it's grabbing "random" parts of words from the index.

Yes I kind of noticed that on the first message... It is weird.

I would look at what is included in tmp/*.img -- there should only be
the numbered tiles included, and any the osmmap.img or osmmap_mdr.img
files which should be excluded. Also make sure that there are no old
files in there.

If there is no change after investigating that I am out of ideas, could
you please upload the index to files.mkgmap.org.uk (or anywhere else you
have access to)?  If possible reduce the number of files included for
the smallest index that shows the problem.

Best wishes
..Steve

Re: Addresss index on GPSMAP 60CSx

Kent Friis
> I would look at what is included in tmp/*.img -- there should only be
> the numbered tiles included, and any the osmmap.img or osmmap_mdr.img
> files which should be excluded. Also make sure that there are no old
> files in there.

That did it. Thanks a bunch.

Well, at least, streets work fine. Most seem to be in "Country",
though, and I have only a few cities to choose from - but I'm guessing
that this is a boundary data problem, and not a mkgmap problem...

And of course, house numbers would be nice, but I'm sure they are on
everybodys wish list.

/Kent

Re: Addresss index on GPSMAP 60CSx

Kent Friis
On Sat, 21 Jan 2012 19:47:55 +0100
Kent Friis <[hidden email]> wrote:
> That did it. Thanks a bunch.
>
> Well, at least, streets work fine. Most seem to be in "Country",
> though, and I have only a few cities to choose from - but I'm guessing
> that this is a boundary data problem, and not a mkgmap problem...

Yep, setting location-autofill=bounds,is_in,nearest solved that problem.

However, when showing several streets to pick from, they aren't show
according to distance, as they were with City Navigator.

On the other hand, danish special characters are handled better than
City Navigator did when I uses it.

/Kent