Advertising on OSM

Jack Armstrong Dancer@sprynet.com
Any opinions on this type of advertising? I can't seem to find anything on the OSM Wiki.

http://www.openstreetmap.org/node/5230186487

The listed webpage says nothing about this physical address.

Re: Advertising on OSM

Nicolás Alvarez
<[hidden email]>:
> Any opinions on this type of advertising? I can't seem to find anything on
> the OSM Wiki.
>
> http://www.openstreetmap.org/node/5230186487
>
> The listed webpage says nothing about this physical address.

The company's Facebook page has the physical address and it agrees.

I would delete the advertisement-sounding 'description' tag though.

--
Nicolás

Re: Advertising on OSM

Clifford Snow
This node looks like a contribution from an infamous SEO marketing firm. I gave up deleting the description and have found them useful to add or correct how the business is tagged. This SEO often doesn't even bother to add a tag like they did here, office=estate_agent.

On Thu, Jan 11, 2018 at 6:55 PM, Jack Armstrong [hidden email] <[hidden email]> wrote:
Any opinions on this type of advertising? I can't seem to find anything on the OSM Wiki.

The listed webpage says nothing about this physical address.

@osm_seattle
OpenStreetMap: Maps with a human touch

Re: Advertising on OSM

Mateusz Konieczny-2
On Fri, 12 Jan 2018 06:55:56 +0400 (GMT+04:00)
"Jack Armstrong [hidden email]" <[hidden email]> wrote:

> I can't seem to find anything on the OSM Wiki.

Have you checked https://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Key:description ?

It has "Never use description=* to add advertising messages."

Re: Advertising on OSM

> On 12. Jan 2018, at 03:55, Jack Armstrong [hidden email] <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> Any opinions on this type of advertising?

I think it’s great. They added their business, address and other information. Yes, the description value can be seen as advertisement (and the intention behind it clearly is), but overall I’d see this as a win-win and would welcome more of this (provided that the position and tags are correct).

Imagine every shop owner would put their business on OSM (and update it).