African river crossing

Arne Jakobsson
Dear fellow mappers,
This day I encountered a river while drawing a path.
As you can see, some one else drew a track up to the river.
I understand that for routing purposes, the two ought to be connected. My question: is there a way to indicate the river as a barrier in the track/path?

http://i.imgur.com/m5ihrpd.jpg

Best regards,
Arne Jacobson

Re: African river crossing

john whelan-2
I think you have to accept there are some limitations on satellite mapping and make a best guess or judgement call.  If I can wade across it in the dry season and it comes up to my chin is it a ford?

Mapping in the UK is different, more mappers on the ground for a start.  A lot of African mapping is done for HOT and the aid agencies and often the alternative is nothing at all.  There just isn't enough people on the ground with good internet connections and a knowledge of mapping to do the job and I'd prefer not to get into a discussion on how OSM should only be done by people on the ground.

Cheerio John

On 3 August 2015 at 08:15, David Fitzhugh <[hidden email]> wrote:
Do you know that it is a ford without trying it out?

Gumpa

On 3 Aug 2015, at 11:49, john whelan <[hidden email]> wrote:

Connect up the two paths and the river, tag the connection as a ford?

Cheerio John

On 3 August 2015 at 06:37, Arne Jakobsson <[hidden email]> wrote:
Dear fellow mappers,
This day I encountered a river while drawing a path.
As you can see, some one else drew a track up to the river.
I understand that for routing purposes, the two ought to be connected. My question: is there a way to indicate the river as a barrier in the track/path?

http://i.imgur.com/m5ihrpd.jpg

Best regards,
Arne Jacobson

Re: African river crossing

Arne Jakobsson
Thank you all for your replies. I appreciate your help as this issue got resolved fairly quickly. Now I can finally commit the changes and mark the territory as done.
Thank you once again!

Sent from my iPhone

On 03 Aug 2015, at 15:50, john whelan <[hidden email]> wrote:

[...]

John Eldredge-2

True. Labeling it as a ford implies that it can safely be crossed on foot or in a land vehicle. It may require the use of a boat or raft to cross safely, due to water depth, strong currents, a quicksand or mud bottom, etc.

--
John F. Eldredge -- [hidden email]
"Darkness cannot drive out darkness; only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate; only love can do that." -- Martin Luther King, Jr.