Airport power and USB stations

AlaskaDave

I'm sitting in the Seattle airport trying to figure out how to tag areas that offer a power outlet and USB outlets for charging or powering computers and other devices. There are many of them here at SEA and they are important places for travelers to know about. I tagged a few of them with amenity=charging_station until I realized that those charging_stations are for vehicles.

Ideas? Prexisting tags?

Dave (Sleepless in Seattle)
--
Dave Swarthout
Homer, Alaska

Re: Airport power and USB stations

Pmailkeey .

On 23 May 2015 at 00:19, Dave Swarthout <[hidden email]> wrote:

I'm sitting in the Seattle airport trying to figure out how to tag areas that offer a power outlet and USB outlets for charging or powering computers and other devices. There are many of them here at SEA and they are important places for travelers to know about. I tagged a few of them with amenity=charging_station until I realized that those charging_stations are for vehicles.

Ideas? Prexisting tags?

Dave (Sleepless in Seattle)
--
Dave Swarthout
Homer, Alaska
Chiang Mai, Thailand

A charging station is a place for charging something. With recent discussions on amenity, Why not use

charging_station=USB
charging_station=EV
charging_station=110VAC
charging_station=240VAC

etc.
--
Mike.
@millomweb - For all your info on Millom and South Copeland

currently unavailable due to ongoing harassment of me, my family, property & pets

Re: Airport power and USB stations

brycenesbitt
Duck tagging it's not.  One could consider the horrors of tagging:

amenity=charging_station
voltage=5
socket:usb=4

From http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Tag:amenity%3Dcharging_station
But I think that's just as bad an idea as amenity=fuel;vehicle=no.

Better:

amenity=device_charging_station
socket:nema_5_15=2
socket:USB=4

I don't care that amenity is "overloaded".  This is an amenity.

And even better:

amenity=device_charging_station
socket:ac=2
socket:usb=4   (there are two types Android and Apple, but I gloss over that)
socket:apple_30_pin=4

And someone who cares can invent subtypes for "ac" like "sev_1011",
or worse set something for multi standard sockets: http://fam-oud.nl/~plugsocket/MultiSockets.html

And subtypes for USB, as there are at least three types of charging port, and a a dozen types overall.

These days world voltage adapters are all one can buy: the 110V vs. 220V debate is over.  So no voltage tag needed.

Re: Airport power and USB stations

Warin

From http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Tag:amenity%3Dcharging_station
But I think that's just as bad an idea as amenity=fuel;vehicle=no.

Better:

amenity=device_charging_station
socket:nema_5_15=2
socket:USB=4

I don't care that amenity is "overloaded".  This is an amenity.

And even better:

amenity=device_charging_station
socket:ac=2
socket:usb=4   (there are two types Android and Apple, but I gloss over that)
socket:apple_30_pin=4

And someone who cares can invent subtypes for "ac" like "sev_1011",
or worse set something for multi standard sockets: http://fam-oud.nl/~plugsocket/MultiSockets.html

And there is this ...
http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Key:power_supply
power_supply=nema_5_15 for usa...
There is no USB one there (yet) ..usb_typea, usb_typeb etc... ?

it is not a proposal as yet .. but does not identify it self as vehicle related.
Charging points are avlible in some libraries too ..

Might be time to move the tag power_supply= to a proposal.

Re: Airport power and USB stations

AlaskaDave
Thanks for the great suggestions.  I'm typing on an iPhone so will respond fully after I reach my final destination.

amenity=charging_station with subtags for clarification seems to fill the bill.

From http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Tag:amenity%3Dcharging_station

On Fri, May 22, 2015 at 9:34 PM, Dave Swarthout <[hidden email]> wrote:
Thanks for the great suggestions.  I'm typing on an iPhone so will respond fully after I reach my final destination.

amenity=charging_station with subtags for clarification seems to fill the bill.

I think that's a choice with high long term costs to rendering and processing engines.

What will happen is that you're asking rendering and processing software to keep up with a blizzard of subtags.
"charging_station" presently is understood to mean a vehicle charging station,
not a generic charging station.  Suddenly icons designed for vehicle charging will start appearing inside airports.

Similarly:
power_supply=cee_17_red
power_supply=cee_7_4
power_supply=usb

forces rendering to understand a long series of values.  For an AC wall plug that means understanding
that  nema_5_15 sev_1011 and cei_23_16 are all types of AC wall plugs, but that USB is something different.
It's asking too much from the maintainers of rendering software.

On 23/05/2015 3:57 PM, Bryce Nesbitt wrote:
[...]

------------

bbq has the same problem.. electric, wood, gas ...
as does building .. school, retail, residential, church, post office ...

The rendering 'problem' ?

To render or not .. that is the question?   (to misquote Bill).

The data can be added .. rendering is another problem.
 First the tagging, then the mapping .. then the rendering. They all have their problems.

Re: Airport power and USB stations

EthnicFood IsGreat
> Date: Sat, 23 May 2015 17:29:27 +1000
> From: Warin <[hidden email]>
> To: [hidden email]
> Subject: Re: [Tagging] Airport power and USB stations
>
> On 23/05/2015 3:57 PM, Bryce Nesbitt wrote:
> > On Fri, May 22, 2015 at 9:34 PM, Dave Swarthout
> > <[hidden email] <mailto:[hidden email]>> wrote:
> >
> >     Thanks for the great suggestions.  I'm typing on an iPhone so will
> >     respond fully after I reach my final destination.
> >
> >     amenity=charging_station with subtags for clarification seems to
> >     fill the bill.
> >

> > I think that's a choice with high long term costs to rendering and
> > processing engines.
> >
> > What will happen is that you're asking rendering and processing
> > software to keep up with a blizzard of subtags.
> > "charging_station" presently is understood to mean a vehicle charging
> > station, not a generic charging station.  Suddenly icons designed for
> > vehicle charging will start appearing inside airports.
> >
> > Similarly:
> >
> >     power_supply=cee_17_red
> >     power_supply=cee_7_4
> >     power_supply=usb
> >

> > forces rendering to understand a long series of values.  For an AC
> > wall plug that means understanding that  nema_5_15sev_1011 and
> > cei_23_16 are all types of AC wall plugs, but that USB is something
> > different.
> > It's asking too much from the maintainers of rendering software.
> >
> > ------------
>
> bbq has the same problem.. electric, wood, gas ...
> as does building .. school, retail, residential, church, post office ...
>
> The rendering 'problem' ?
>
> /To render or not .. that is the question?   (to misquote Bill). /
>
> The data can be added .. rendering is another problem.
>   First the tagging, then the mapping .. then the rendering. They all have their problems.

Re: Airport power and USB stations

AlaskaDave
The Wiki article clearly teaches that the amenity=charging_station tag was designed with vehicles in mind. And I reckon for those of you who expressed concern about rendering, that part of it isn't up to me, or us, and will be resolved later.

The big question is whether to expand the use of the tag so it includes devices other than vehicles. The article mentions bicycles but doesn't go into detail about bicycle charging_stations except to say "There are some different types of charging stations. E-Bikes e.g. can be charged at an domestic wall socket." To my mind, that opens the door to expanding the use of the tag.

Also the notion of socket:type=USB or socket:USB=* (a number of sockets or "yes") seems fine. The other keys mentioned in the Wiki entry can be used just as they are in many other similar situations:
fee=*
operator=*
access=*
voltage=*
opening_hours=*

These stations, or in the case of the Seattle airport, entire sections of seats, have "domestic wall sockets" offering a way to charge laptops as well as the USB output. The tag socket:nema_5_15=* denoting is bulky to say the least but if that's the established tag for the receptacles found in American homes, then it might work here too.

If we don't do it this way, clearly another amenity tag will be needed. I hate to start down that path because I know it will be difficult to achieve any consensus. In the meantime I have tagged those areas with amenity=charging_station until we resolve this question.

Regards
Dave

On Sat, May 23, 2015 at 6:16 AM, Mark Bradley <[hidden email]> wrote:
> Date: Sat, 23 May 2015 17:29:27 +1000
> From: Warin <[hidden email]>
> To: [hidden email]
> Subject: Re: [Tagging] Airport power and USB stations
>
> On 23/05/2015 3:57 PM, Bryce Nesbitt wrote:
> > On Fri, May 22, 2015 at 9:34 PM, Dave Swarthout
> > <[hidden email] <mailto:[hidden email]>> wrote:
> >
> >     Thanks for the great suggestions.  I'm typing on an iPhone so will
> >     respond fully after I reach my final destination.
> >
> >     amenity=charging_station with subtags for clarification seems to
> >     fill the bill.
> >

> > I think that's a choice with high long term costs to rendering and
> > processing engines.
> >
> > What will happen is that you're asking rendering and processing
> > software to keep up with a blizzard of subtags.
> > "charging_station" presently is understood to mean a vehicle charging
> > station, not a generic charging station.  Suddenly icons designed for
> > vehicle charging will start appearing inside airports.
> >
> > Similarly:
> >
> >     power_supply=cee_17_red
> >     power_supply=cee_7_4
> >     power_supply=usb
> >

> > forces rendering to understand a long series of values.  For an AC
> > wall plug that means understanding that  nema_5_15sev_1011 and
> > cei_23_16 are all types of AC wall plugs, but that USB is something
> > different.
> > It's asking too much from the maintainers of rendering software.
> >
> > ------------
>
> bbq has the same problem.. electric, wood, gas ...
> as does building .. school, retail, residential, church, post office ...
>
> The rendering 'problem' ?
>
> /To render or not .. that is the question?   (to misquote Bill). /
>
> The data can be added .. rendering is another problem.
>   First the tagging, then the mapping .. then the rendering. They all have their problems.

Dave Swarthout
Homer, Alaska
Chiang Mai, Thailand

Re: Airport power and USB stations

Pmailkeey .

On 23 May 2015 at 06:57, Bryce Nesbitt <[hidden email]> wrote:

If you're mapping a duck, call it a duck....  not a creature=thing_with_feathers legs=2 quacking=yes.

Surely a duck is an amenity ?

After all, it enhances the 'park' experience.

Bread_vending=no.

On 23 May 2015 at 17:47, Dave Swarthout <[hidden email]> wrote:
The Wiki article clearly teaches that the amenity=charging_station tag was designed with vehicles in mind.

Well if it's a VEHICLE charging station, it should have said that. They didn't specify what changing it was in the name - so it's surely open for all charging stations.

And I reckon for those of you who expressed concern about rendering, that part of it isn't up to me, or us, and will be resolved later.

The big question is whether to expand the use of the tag so it includes devices other than vehicles. The article mentions bicycles but doesn't go into detail about bicycle charging_stations except to say "There are some different types of charging stations. E-Bikes e.g. can be charged at an domestic wall socket." To my mind, that opens the door to expanding the use of the tag.

Asbolutely !

Also the notion of socket:type=USB or socket:USB=* (a number of sockets or "yes") seems fine. The other keys mentioned in the Wiki entry can be used just as they are in many other similar situations:
fee=*
operator=*
access=*
voltage=*
opening_hours=*

These stations, or in the case of the Seattle airport, entire sections of seats, have "domestic wall sockets" offering a way to charge laptops as well as the USB output. The tag socket:nema_5_15=* denoting is bulky to say the least but if that's the established tag for the receptacles found in American homes, then it might work here too.

What do 'standard Americans' call their sockets ? We shouldn't be using technical names on OSM unless that's the common name for them. Voltage is a useful bit of data.

Am 23.05.2015 um 01:56 schrieb Bryce Nesbitt <[hidden email]>:

amenity=device_charging_station
socket:ac=2
socket:usb=4   (there are two types Android and Apple, but I gloss over that)
socket:apple_30_pin=4

or
man_made / amenity=power_outlet
socket_type=usb_a
socket_count=4

cheers

Re: Airport power and USB stations

AlaskaDave
New, yes, but increasingly common. One of my recent flights was on a 777 equipped with both electric (115 v American "standard") and USB outlets. While many of those chargers you speak of John, the iPhone chargers for example, plug into a wall socket the output goes to the phone via the USB socket at the rear.

@Martin, I think the two words connected with a colon is the best choice. It's already in use: socket:USB=*

The standard American plug has a hard-to-remember and bulky tag "socket:nema_5_15=2". It would be nice to have a simpler alternative. But then, most countries have their own scheme for naming these things and I don't see standardization coming to the world (or to OSM) anytime soon. Hell, we're still using inches and pounds over here! We probably should stick with what's already defined in the wiki.

Still, if I saw a charging station advertising 120v AC, I would be quite sure what that was, and also what sort of socket it would employ. The voltage tag would be an obvious clue for data consumers.

Am 23.05.2015 um 20:08 schrieb pmailkeey . <[hidden email]>:

On 23 May 2015 at 17:47, Dave Swarthout <[hidden email]> wrote:
The Wiki article clearly teaches that the amenity=charging_station tag was designed with vehicles in mind.

Well if it's a VEHICLE charging station, it should have said that. They didn't specify what changing it was in the name - so it's surely open for all charging stations.

I tend to agree but it makes rendering more difficult, maybe we should make indeed a transition to vehicle_charging_station

cheers

Re: Airport power and USB stations

> Am 24.05.2015 um 06:18 schrieb Dave Swarthout <[hidden email]>:
>
> @Martin, I think the two words connected with a colon is the best choice. It's already in use: socket:USB=*

there're different types of USB sockets so I'd be more specific here

cheers

Re: Airport power and USB stations

Am 23.05.2015 um 20:08 schrieb pmailkeey . <[hidden email]>:

On 23 May 2015 at 17:47, Dave Swarthout <[hidden email]> wrote:
The Wiki article clearly teaches that the amenity=charging_station tag was designed with vehicles in mind.

Well if it's a VEHICLE charging station, it should have said that. They didn't specify what changing it was in the name - so it's surely open for all charging stations.

I tend to agree but it makes rendering more difficult, maybe we should make indeed a transition to vehicle_charging_station

Bit long winded... how about

vehicle_charging .. for motor vehicles

bicycle_charging   .. for bicycles

and

power_socket  .. for power sockets ...

the are all different things .. with different appearances and requirements.

This would get away from those presently tagged and provide for a clean definition.

They could all use the same socket= tag just as they would use the same access, fee tags.

Re: Airport power and USB stations

Tod Fitch

> On May 24, 2015, at 2:07 AM, Martin Koppenhoefer <[hidden email]> wrote:
>> Am 24.05.2015 um 06:18 schrieb Dave Swarthout <[hidden email]>:
>>
>> @Martin, I think the two words connected with a colon is the best choice. It's already in use: socket:USB=*
>

> there're different types of USB sockets so I'd be more specific here

All the ones I’ve seen are the full size socket, it is the device end that seems to vary a lot though it seems many portable devices are now equipped with microUSB sockets.

But, like the case with Apple devices, that is not an issue as the user’s USB cord will have the full sized USB plug on one end and the device plug on the other. I don’t think the USB wall socket form factor is an issue (though it might be in the future).

However they do come with different power/ampere capacities with ones intended for charging phones putting out between 1 and 1.5 amps while ones intended for charging tablets and larger devices putting out 2 or more amps. It might make a difference to me if I had a tablet to know what the ampere rating was.

Cheers,
Tod

smime.p7s (2K) Download Attachment

Re: Airport power and USB stations

AlaskaDave
@Martin - I'm not aware of any different types of USB socket - are you referring to USB 2.0, and USB 3.0?

If so, that can be handled by another tag, e.g. USB:version or USB:type.