Alagoas Floodings

Vitor George
Hi folks,

Alagoas, a poor state at north-eastern Brazil, is suffering major floodings with 20 people dead, near a thousand missing and ten of thousands that lost their homes.

How can OSM help with this disaster?

In the news: http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/world/latin_america/10361810.stm
Wiki: http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/2010_Alagoas_Flooding

Vitor

Vitor

Re: Alagoas Floodings

Jean-Guilhem Cailton

CBERS satellite images are a nice resource (2.5m resolution for the HRC
sensor, apparently broad coverage in South America, free download).

I hope you get a positive response, Vitor, to your request for use for OSM.

I've tried viewing some of them in QGis, with OSM plugin for overlaying
OSM data.

On Maceio, the state capital, I still have a shift of several hundred
meters between the image and OSM data, even trying to use something
similar to
http://www.mail-archive.com/talk@.../msg29435.html
(but in UTM zone 25).

If we get the authorization, could someone in the OSM community host
them on a WMS server ?

Best regards,

Jean-Guilhem