All European Union countries use E5/E10/B7 instead of gasoline 98/95, Diesel 10S respectively

All European Union countries use E5/E10/B7 instead of gasoline 98/95, Diesel 10S respectively

thibaultmol
Hi,

Back in 2018 all countries in the European Union were forced to switch their naming scheme for fuels at gas stations to the new E5/E10/B7 scheme (referring to the amount of bio-ethanol in the fuel.

Sources:

But I noticed on the wiki that nothing is mentioned about that.
And looking at the taginfo for europe (I know it's not all of the EU, but only the Union countries. But it's a good approximation) it seems like the old tags are still used most often:
55 475 | fuel:diesel
47 010 | fuel:octane_95
29 636 | fuel:octane_98
12 232 | fuel:e10
40 | fuel:e5

And B7 (diesel) isn't mentioned on the wiki and doesn't seem to be used either.

So I guess the questions are:
- Should the wiki be changed to make it clear that in European Union countries octane 95/98 shouldn't be used and E10/E5 should be used instead?
- Because there is only one type of Diesel, should that tag just stay Diesel or be replaced with B7 for consistency? (I think it makes more sense to keep it diesel since it does not matter and makes things more confusing potentially)

Would love to hear your feedback
Cheers,
Thibault

Re: All European Union countries use E5/E10/B7 instead of gasoline 98/95, Diesel 10S respectively

Frederik Ramm
Hi,

On 1/25/20 08:26, Thibault Molleman wrote:
> Back in 2018 all countries in the European Union were forced to switch
> their naming scheme

That may well be but the fuel stations in my vicinity still advertise
"Diesel" and not "e10", so at least for the part of Germany where I
live, "fuel:b7" would be definitely wrong.

Bye
Frederik

Re: All European Union countries use E5/E10/B7 instead of gasoline 98/95, Diesel 10S respectively

PanierAvide-2
Hello,

Same in France, fuel stations have to display new naming (and most do),
but old names "SP95", "SP95-E10", "SP98" and "Diesel" are still shown
and will stay for many years at least.

Regards,

Adrien P.

Le 25/01/2020 à 09:38, Frederik Ramm a écrit :

> Hi,
>
> On 1/25/20 08:26, Thibault Molleman wrote:
>> Back in 2018 all countries in the European Union were forced to switch
>> their naming scheme
> That may well be but the fuel stations in my vicinity still advertise
> "Diesel" and not "e10", so at least for the part of Germany where I
> live, "fuel:b7" would be definitely wrong.
>
> Bye
> Frederik

Re: All European Union countries use E5/E10/B7 instead of gasoline 98/95, Diesel 10S respectively

Jez Nicholson
I would welcome a section on the wiki page about the EU coding scheme, but I draw the opposite conclusion to the original poster: existing tag value counts show that the community are very clearly against using EU fuel codes in the EU; the current tag values can be/are used worldwide; therefore there should be advice to *not* use the EU coding but continue with the current standard.

On Sat, 25 Jan 2020, 09:00 PanierAvide, <[hidden email]> wrote:
Hello,

Same in France, fuel stations have to display new naming (and most do),
but old names "SP95", "SP95-E10", "SP98" and "Diesel" are still shown
and will stay for many years at least.

Regards,

Adrien P.

Le 25/01/2020 à 09:38, Frederik Ramm a écrit :
> Hi,
>
> On 1/25/20 08:26, Thibault Molleman wrote:
>> Back in 2018 all countries in the European Union were forced to switch
>> their naming scheme
> That may well be but the fuel stations in my vicinity still advertise
> "Diesel" and not "e10", so at least for the part of Germany where I
> live, "fuel:b7" would be definitely wrong.
>
> Bye
> Frederik

Re: All European Union countries use E5/E10/B7 instead of gasoline 98/95, Diesel 10S respectively

Philip Barnes

On Saturday, 25 January 2020, Thibault Molleman wrote:

> Hi,
>
> Back in 2018 all countries in the European Union were forced to switch
> their naming scheme for fuels at gas stations to the new E5/E10/B7 scheme
> (referring to the amount of bio-ethanol in the fuel.
>
> Sources:
> http://www.flanderstoday.eu/petrol-98-and-95-labels-change-next-week
> https://ec.europa.eu/ireland/news/new-eu-fuel-labelling-clearer-information-for-consumers-and-operators_en
>
> But I noticed on the wiki that nothing is mentioned about that.
> And looking at the taginfo for europe (I know it's not all of the EU, but
> only the Union countries. But it's a good approximation) it seems like the
> old tags are still used most often:
> 55 475 | fuel:diesel
> 47 010 | fuel:octane_95
> 29 636 | fuel:octane_98
> 12 232 | fuel:e10
> 40 | fuel:e5
> https://taginfo.geofabrik.de/europe/search?q=fuel#keys
>
> And B7 (diesel) isn't mentioned on the wiki and doesn't seem to be used
> either.
>
> So I guess the questions are:
> - Should the wiki be changed to make it clear that in European Union
> countries octane 95/98 shouldn't be used and E10/E5 should be used instead?
> - Because there is only one type of Diesel, should that tag just stay
> Diesel or be replaced with B7 for consistency? (I think it makes more sense
> to keep it diesel since it does not matter and makes things more confusing
> potentially)
>
> Would love to hear your feedback

Whilst information on ethanol could be added to the wiki and as an additional tag removing the octane value would be entrirely wrong.

I have been noticing that filling stations in the UK do now display the E rating alongside the octane, but it can never be a replacement as, for example, the last time I filled up I had a choice of 95 Octane at E5 and 99 Octane at E5.

So whilst Ethanol tagging is important, as a classic car owner it is worrying and  seeking the

--
Sent from my Sailfish device

Re: All European Union countries use E5/E10/B7 instead of gasoline 98/95, Diesel 10S respectively

Philip Barnes

On Saturday, 25 January 2020, Thibault Molleman wrote:

> Hi,
>
> Back in 2018 all countries in the European Union were forced to switch
> their naming scheme for fuels at gas stations to the new E5/E10/B7 scheme
> (referring to the amount of bio-ethanol in the fuel.
>
> Sources:
> http://www.flanderstoday.eu/petrol-98-and-95-labels-change-next-week
> https://ec.europa.eu/ireland/news/new-eu-fuel-labelling-clearer-information-for-consumers-and-operators_en
>
> But I noticed on the wiki that nothing is mentioned about that.
> And looking at the taginfo for europe (I know it's not all of the EU, but
> only the Union countries. But it's a good approximation) it seems like the
> old tags are still used most often:
> 55 475 | fuel:diesel
> 47 010 | fuel:octane_95
> 29 636 | fuel:octane_98
> 12 232 | fuel:e10
> 40 | fuel:e5
> https://taginfo.geofabrik.de/europe/search?q=fuel#keys
>
> And B7 (diesel) isn't mentioned on the wiki and doesn't seem to be used
> either.
>
> So I guess the questions are:
> - Should the wiki be changed to make it clear that in European Union
> countries octane 95/98 shouldn't be used and E10/E5 should be used instead?
> - Because there is only one type of Diesel, should that tag just stay
> Diesel or be replaced with B7 for consistency? (I think it makes more sense
> to keep it diesel since it does not matter and makes things more confusing
> potentially)
>
> Would love to hear your feedback
> Cheers,

Whilst a section in the wiki and an adding an additional tag may be appropriate it is not a replacement for the octane as different octane ratings have the same E rating so would loose information.

In the UK I have noticed that pumps, now have the E number in addition to the octain  rating.

I had a choice of 95 octane with E5 and octane 99 which was also E5, the later being Shell V-Power.

So as demonstrated by one survey they are not the same thing. Changing to tagging E rating would loose important information.

As the owner of a classic car I have been watching the rise of ethanol, it is quite damaging to metak fuel tanks and fuel pipes so finding the lowest E number is important.

Phil (trigpoint)

--
Sent from my Sailfish device