All possible fields of an address object in Open Street Map

All possible fields of an address object in Open Street Map

Pascal Girard
Good morning,

I apologize in advance if this is the incorrect contact channel for my question.
I posted it on OSM help forum in April and I had no answer.

I am developping a web application and I use Nominatin service to get addresses.

In JSON format, Nominatin sends an address object like this : "address": {"road": "Hillcrest Road", "suburb": "Gidea Park", "city": "London Borough of Havering", "state_district": "Grand Londres","state": "Angleterre", "postcode": "RM11 1EA", "country": "Royaume-Uni", "country_code": "gb"}. Of course, address fields change depending on the country.

In the database of our web application, we would like to build a table to store all fields of an address object of OSM, because we want to be compatible to all addresses around the world. I've been looking for days, for the list of all fields contained in an address object of OSM : on the net, in documentations, in nominatim and osm2pgsql code.

I saw this post on Open Street Map Help : "https://help.openstreetmap.org/questions/61683/all-possible-fields-of-address-object".

But :

The "https://github.com/osm-search/Nominatim/blob/v3.4.1/lib/lib.php" is different than witch I quoted above in point 3).

Concerning the above point 2) :

  • is OSM (Nominatim) using OpenCageData address-formatting ?
  • Can I rely on it to build my address table ?

Please help me...

Many thanks in advance for your response.

Pascal Girard

Re: All possible fields of an address object in Open Street Map

Developer Discussion mailing list
https://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Addresses may be helpful, it is an attempt to
document how addresses are tagged in OSM

  • is OSM (Nominatim) using OpenCageData address-formatting ?"

Depends on what you mean by that. Nominatim is extracting geocoding info
from OSM (and it may or may not use OpenCageData address-formatting)

OSM (database edited by mappers) is not using OpenCageData format
but its own tagging system documented in https://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Addresses

BTW, if https://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Addresses will be confusing or unclear please comment
and there is decent chance that documentation will be improved

May 11, 2020, 15:06 by [hidden email]:
[...]

Eugene Alvin Villar
I am sorry because my reply is not directly related to your questions, but please see the following article when considering building a worldwide address framework or database: https://www.mjt.me.uk/posts/falsehoods-programmers-believe-about-addresses/

This also means that addresses in OSM is very much inconsistent and incomplete both on the data side and on the tagging side.

On Mon, May 11, 2020 at 9:18 PM Pascal Girard <[hidden email]> wrote:
[...]

dieterdreist

Am Mo., 11. Mai 2020 um 16:33 Uhr schrieb Eugene Alvin Villar <[hidden email]>:
I am sorry because my reply is not directly related to your questions, but please see the following article when considering building a worldwide address framework or database: https://www.mjt.me.uk/posts/falsehoods-programmers-believe-about-addresses/

This also means that addresses in OSM is very much inconsistent and incomplete both on the data side and on the tagging side.

it could become your task to make an addition to the address tagging scheme if what we have so far isn't suitable for your area. It's how it is evolving: people proposing additions to meet with their local requirements.

Cheers