Allowed access and Tags for roads with traffic restrictions

Allowed access and Tags for roads with traffic restrictions

Sara Coy

Hi,

I’m updating roads in Leicester city centre. There are some recent restrictions on motor traffic, with the creation of ‘bus/ taxi/ cycle only’ sections of road. Please can someone recommend what the ‘Allowed Access’ and  ‘Tags’ should be for roads in the scenarios below:

1.Pedestrian Zone – no motor traffic, except buses, taxis and for loading.

2. Cycle, Bus, Taxi only.

Apologies for this basic query – just want to ensure we do this right!

Thanks, Sara.

Re: Allowed access and Tags for roads with traffic restrictions

sk53.osm
Hi Sara,

I'm sure I've got similar photos. From memory Houndsgate & Church Gate are roads with such restrictions. I notice these have recently had the access tag changed from access=no to access=yes: I think the former way more accurately documented the scenario.

Generally, you can do one of three things: assume standard access (no access tag or access=yes) and add specific restrictions, or remove standard access (access=no) and add explicit permissions, or avoid using a standard access tag and use a mix of restrictions and permissions.

In Nottingham we tend to do the latter, for instance Friar Lane is restricted to buses, wheelchair accessible taxis and disabled drivers. All other motor vehicles are not permitted. Bicycles, pedestrians, horses etc are allowed implicitly.

Another example is St Peter's Gate.

I presume most of the streets you are referring to have a reasonable amount of traffic, so although they are signed as "Pedestrian Streets" they should be mapped as highway=unclassified.

Some additional comments:
  • access=no will be rendered with a dashed grey line.
  • foot and access:foot mean the same thing (same applies for other tags)
  • current widely available routers may not allow all the settings to be tested.

HTH,

Jerry Clough