Altitude data

Figment Engine
Hi,

In terms of altitude information, am I correct in thinking that integrating the SRTM data (http://www2.jpl.nasa.gov/srtm/) is the
accepted approach to creating altitude based maps?

I have seen key="altitude" in some of the OSM data, but not comprehensively. Is there a SRTM enhanced version of the OSM data? or an
XML version of the SRTM data?

I'm using it to create vector based maps (http://blog.figmentengine.com/search/label/OpenStreetMap) in silverlight and just wanted
to know what was the "accepted" way to incorporate altitude information.

Thanks in advance

Philip
(Figment Engine)

Re: Altitude data

Stefan Baebler
Some nodes have altitiude (or alt) tag if the altitude is well known
(mountain peaks etc) as vertical precision of GPS is so inaccurate.

You can convert srtm data into OSM vector contours with
http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Srtm2Osm

A general page about visualizing relief (including other techniques,
such as shading etc):
http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Relief_maps

hope it helps,
Stefan

Philip Fitzsimons wrote:

> Hi,
>
> In terms of altitude information, am I correct in thinking that integrating the SRTM data (http://www2.jpl.nasa.gov/srtm/) is the
> accepted approach to creating altitude based maps?
>
> I have seen key="altitude" in some of the OSM data, but not comprehensively. Is there a SRTM enhanced version of the OSM data? or an
> XML version of the SRTM data?
>
> I'm using it to create vector based maps (http://blog.figmentengine.com/search/label/OpenStreetMap) in silverlight and just wanted
> to know what was the "accepted" way to incorporate altitude information.
>
> Thanks in advance
>
> Philip
> (Figment Engine)

Re: Altitude data

Karl Newman
On Mon, Dec 8, 2008 at 3:22 AM, Philip Fitzsimons <[hidden email]> wrote:
Hi,

In terms of altitude information, am I correct in thinking that integrating the SRTM data (http://www2.jpl.nasa.gov/srtm/) is the
accepted approach to creating altitude based maps?

I have seen key="altitude" in some of the OSM data, but not comprehensively. Is there a SRTM enhanced version of the OSM data? or an
XML version of the SRTM data?

I'm using it to create vector based maps (http://blog.figmentengine.com/search/label/OpenStreetMap) in silverlight and just wanted
to know what was the "accepted" way to incorporate altitude information.

Thanks in advance

Philip
(Figment Engine)

You may be interested in this Summer of Code project: http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Route_altitude_profiles_SRTM