An editing problem

Jim Mays
Over the past decade, the city of New York has purchased land in the area of their watershed under a filtration waver program. Most of this land is in small [less than a 250 acres] parcels, and is open to passive recreational activities such as hiking. They have published maps of the individual parcels in PDF format & using a wide variety of scales [to fit on a single 8 1/2 X 11 printout]. [http://www.nyc.gov/html/dep/html/watershed_protection/recreation_maps.shtml]

They're great short-ish walks & I would like to add them to OSM.

However, aligning them presents a problem. "Field Papers" is one solution, and I can convert the PDF into tiff, but is this the best [or only] solution?  Fugawi advertises itself as being able to convert maps using three reference points, but migrating this into OSM is a question - so, is anything like this available for OSM?

Tlhanks!

--
Jim Mays 845-657-2013

Re: An editing problem

Richard Welty-2
On 5/8/15 11:01 AM, Jim Mays wrote:
Over the past decade, the city of New York has purchased land in the area of their watershed under a filtration waver program. Most of this land is in small [less than a 250 acres] parcels, and is open to passive recreational activities such as hiking. They have published maps of the individual parcels in PDF format & using a wide variety of scales [to fit on a single 8 1/2 X 11 printout]. [http://www.nyc.gov/html/dep/html/watershed_protection/recreation_maps.shtml]

They're great short-ish walks & I would like to add them to OSM.

However, aligning them presents a problem. "Field Papers" is one solution, and I can convert the PDF into tiff, but is this the best [or only] solution?  Fugawi advertises itself as being able to convert maps using three reference points, but migrating this into OSM is a question - so, is anything like this available for OSM?
what editor are you using? JOSM has a plugin named PicLayer
which i have found useful when i need to align arbitrary imagery.

don't know what it does with tiffs; i usually use it with jpg or png
images.

richard
 OpenStreetMap - PostgreSQL - Linux
 Java - Web Applications - Search

Re: An editing problem

SomeoneElse-2
On 08/05/2015 16:01, Jim Mays wrote:

> They're great short-ish walks & I would like to add them to OSM.

Personally for something like this I'd suggest ground survey, as you'll
pick up far more detail than seems to be available on the linked PDFs.

Cheers,

Andy

Re: An editing problem

Jim Mays
Thanks!

I hadn't decided on the editor, but that's next. I'll look for the plugin in JOSM.

I'm using tiff because my PDF converter software [Nuance] offers it as an option, but not jpg or png.

On Fri, May 8, 2015 at 11:13 AM, Richard Welty <[hidden email]> wrote:
[...]

I'll probably do some of that, as well, but some of the boundaries cross water bodies [although a few more days in the 80s..]  but the existence of maps based on surveys is an enticing opportunity.

On Fri, May 8, 2015 at 11:14 AM, SomeoneElse <[hidden email]> wrote:
On 08/05/2015 16:01, Jim Mays wrote:

They're great short-ish walks & I would like to add them to OSM.

Personally for something like this I'd suggest ground survey, as you'll pick up far more detail than seems to be available on the linked PDFs.

Cheers,

Andy

Jim Mays 845-657-2013

Re: An editing problem

Stewart C. Russell
Hi Jim,
> However, aligning them presents a problem. "Field Papers" is one
> solution, and I can convert the PDF into tiff, but is this the best
> [or only] solution?

They're already Geo-aware PDFs, so you can load them as layers in QGIS.
This would save you losing accuracy by re-referencing.

cheers,
 Stewart