Android Auto and OSM

Rob Nickerson
Hi all,

I recently was on holiday and needed maps for the hire car. Usually I use Maps.Me as I like the fact that you can download the maps in advance and that they have the hotels from Booking.com (thereby increasing the chance that I can easily find my hotel).

This time however I forgot the phone mount :-(. The car did have Android Auto so, due to my insistence to have visibility of a screen when using GPS (audio alone is not enough), we ended up using this. For those who don't know Android Auto it is built in to the car's entertainment system - you just bring along your smartphone to connect in. Google Maps is the default and this is what we ended up using (pre-downloading regions before we set off).

So yeah, on this holiday Google won*. We did continue with MapsMe for the hiking parts as this is where OSM excelled.

My question is: Are there any OSM apps that can be used with Android Auto? It seemed like a great in car solution and no doubt more car manufacturers will add this in the coming years.

Thanks,
Rob

* P.S. We got bad driving results from both Google Maps and MapsMe during the holiday. MapsMe tried to route us down a private road, whilst Google wanted us to do a long detour because it did not know about a road. I think OSM can win this game but don'e want it to slip behind as Android Auto get's rolled out to more cars.

Re: Android Auto and OSM

SimonPoole

AFAIK "Android Auto" is actually "google Auto" and simply an app that connects to compatible screens provided by car manufacturers that are in bed with the goog (sometimes in an open relationship complemented with the same from the fruit company). As actually running the app requires selling your soul to the goog I haven't really experimented a lot with it. This is distinct from a car dock mode or similar in which you can typically launch osmand, mapsme or whatever you want.

With other words no simple way of replacing the goog in such vehicles (it is likely hackable, but in the same vein will probably cost you your warranty on the car and so on, so not worth it).

Am 23.09.2018 um 14:44 schrieb Rob Nickerson:
[...]

Hi Simon,

No this is not that simple and (in my view) OSM shouldn't ignore this. It works with quite a few existing third party apps (list on [1], [2]) including Google competitors (e.g. Amazon Music) and Open Source (e.g. Signal messenger).

I cannot see any OSM app in the list which is a shame as we could loose audience as a result.

P.S. The car also had Apple's equivalent (Apple CarPlay) but I couldn't test this as I don't have an iOS device.

P.P.S According to google: Automobile manufacturers that will offer Android Auto support in their cars include Abarth, Acura, Alfa Romeo, Audi, Bentley, Buick, Cadillac, Chevrolet, Chrysler, Dodge, Fiat, Ford, GMC, Honda, Hyundai, Infiniti, Jaguar Land Rover, Jeep, Kia, Lamborghini, Lexus, Lincoln, Mahindra and Mahindra, Maserati, Mazda, Mercedes-Benz, Mitsubishi, Nissan, Opel, Peugeot, RAM, Renault, SEAT, Škoda, SsangYong, Subaru, Suzuki, Tata Motors Cars, Volkswagen and Volvo.

Thanks,

Rob

Re: Android Auto and OSM

SimonPoole
The question is what not "ignoring this" entails.

Essentially we would need to file a complaint with the respective authorities which afaik even the companies that are directly affected by this (see for example https://forum.xda-developers.com/android-auto/android-auto-general/maps-android-auto-t3339439) have not done.

As we don't have a direct business interests in this (as in no revenue from such business), the OSMF would have to team up with market players that are actually affected by the situation. All possible, but rather unlikely to actually happen, not to mention that any result from such an action would be way down the road substantially after the exit plans of any likely commercial partner.

Simon

--
Diese Nachricht wurde von meinem Android-Mobiltelefon mit Kaiten Mail gesendet.

Re: Android Auto and OSM

Edward Catmur
There is more information at the OsmAnd feature request:

By my understanding, Google have blocked all navigation apps other than a very short whitelist (Google Maps and Waze), ostensibly over concern for liability for distracting drivers. Other third party developers (Here, Sygic) have not been able so far to get their apps whitelisted.

It does seem that a competition complaint would be the most likely to get results, but who would fund it? Perhaps a petition to get visibility for the issue?

On Mon, 24 Sep 2018, 01:55 Simon Poole, <[hidden email]> wrote:
[...]

Marc Gemis
I contacted MagicEarth (which uses OSM as well) a couple of days ago
about this topic.
They confirmed that there is no API and gave me a workaround to use
MagicEarth on the smartphone screen and Android Auto on the screen of
the car. They are looking forward to supper Android Auto when it
becomes possible.

Since Apple just opened CarPlay to other map providers with iOS12, one
can only hope Google will follow.

m.

Simon wrote:

> The question is what not "ignoring this" entails.

Well a few things:

1. OSM community members being aware of it and perhaps checking it out if they have a chance (as part of knowing the industry / competition).
2. Doing some research as to whether it is possible to integrate an OSM app into this (done and seems like yes for Apple Car Play, no for Android Auto - for now).
3. Making a few noises about the value that allowing OSM based apps into Android Auto would deliver

I wasn't expecting responses of a legal nature and tend to agree with you that we don't want to go down that route. I was more pointing it out as an area some community members may want to pay more attention to (and update their Apple based apps to use the Apple version now that they can).

Thanks,

Rob