Any OpenStreetMap viewer for Android?

Stefan Keller
Am I right that there's no OpenStreetMap viewer software available for
Android-based phones - at least no open source except AndNav2?

-S.

BTW: Just saw this: "Google’s Android-based devices made by companies
such as Motorola and HTC are about to hit the market in large numbers
in 2010." (http://gigaom.com/2009/09/24/iphone-nokias-troubles-by-the-numbers/
)

Re: Any OpenStreetMap viewer for Android?

JohnSmitty
2009/9/28 Stefan Keller <[hidden email]>:
> Am I right that there's no OpenStreetMap viewer software available for

Viewer to do what?

> Android-based phones - at least no open source except AndNav2?

Not all of AndNav2 is open source, core components aren't.

Re: Any OpenStreetMap viewer for Android?

Ciprian Talaba-2
Hi Stefan,

On Mon, Sep 28, 2009 at 2:39 AM, Stefan Keller <[hidden email]> wrote:
Am I right that there's no OpenStreetMap viewer software available for
Android-based phones - at least no open source except AndNav2?

-S.

BTW: Just saw this: "Google’s Android-based devices made by companies
such as Motorola and HTC are about to hit the market in large numbers
in 2010." (http://gigaom.com/2009/09/24/iphone-nokias-troubles-by-the-numbers/
)

You can try to build OSM-Android from sources (we will provide an .apk and some sample data soon) by going here: http://code.google.com/p/osm-android/
Build instructions are in the Wiki: http://code.google.com/p/osm-android/wiki/BuildInstructions

--Ciprian

Re: Any OpenStreetMap viewer for Android?

Stefan Keller
> Viewer to do what?

Viewer to view OSM data (via OSM API) like i.e. mgmaps.com (and
nutiteq.com) for J2ME mobiles.

> Not all of AndNav2 is open source, core components aren't.

That's a pitty (and doesn't fulfill my needs): I would have wished
that core component are open source, and add-ons aren't.

-S.

2009/9/28 John Smith <[hidden email]>:
> 2009/9/28 Stefan Keller <[hidden email]>:
>> Am I right that there's no OpenStreetMap viewer software available for
>
> Viewer to do what?
>
>> Android-based phones - at least no open source except AndNav2?
>
> Not all of AndNav2 is open source, core components aren't.

Re: Any OpenStreetMap viewer for Android?

JohnSmitty
2009/9/28 Stefan Keller <[hidden email]>:
> That's a pitty (and doesn't fulfill my needs): I would have wished
> that core component are open source, and add-ons aren't.

The map lib, like mgmaps.com's lib is open source, routing and other
sections aren't.

Re: Any OpenStreetMap viewer for Android?

Eric Marsden

  sk> Am I right that there's no OpenStreetMap viewer software available for
  sk> Android-based phones - at least no open source except AndNav2?

  There is an experimental port of Navit, which does on-device vector
  rendering and routing with OSM data. It works reasonably well in my
  limited testing so far.

    http://wiki.navit-project.org/index.php/Navit_on_Android

  There is also an experimental on-device editor called Vespucci

     http://www.cyrket.com/package/de.blau.android
     http://code.google.com/p/osmeditor4android/wiki/Overview

   which writes directly to the API.

   With the multiple excellent logging applications that are available,
   Android is a nice mobile platform for OSM!

--
Eric Marsden

Re: Any OpenStreetMap viewer for Android?

Stefan Keller
Many thanks for all the hints so far.
Regarding Navit I did not found any sources on the SVN and it's far
from being easy to install.
Vespucci declares itself explicitely as NOT being "a map-view or even
a routing-application". And it failed to work on my G1.
Remains actually osm-android (http://code.google.com/p/osm-android/)
and eventually AndNav2 of which we'll have a closer look.

Yours, S.

2009/9/28 Eric Marsden <[hidden email]>:

>  sk> Am I right that there's no OpenStreetMap viewer software available for
>  sk> Android-based phones - at least no open source except AndNav2?
>
>  There is an experimental port of Navit, which does on-device vector
>  rendering and routing with OSM data. It works reasonably well in my
>  limited testing so far.
>
>    http://wiki.navit-project.org/index.php/Navit_on_Android
>

>  There is also an experimental on-device editor called Vespucci
>
>     http://www.cyrket.com/package/de.blau.android
>     http://code.google.com/p/osmeditor4android/wiki/Overview
>
>   which writes directly to the API.
>
>   With the multiple excellent logging applications that are available,
>   Android is a nice mobile platform for OSM!
>
> --
> Eric Marsden

Re: Any OpenStreetMap viewer for Android?

Stefan Baebler
There a page in wiki:
http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Android
that lists also other OSM software for Android.

Stefan

On Mon, Sep 28, 2009 at 11:21 PM, Stefan Keller <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Many thanks for all the hints so far.
> Regarding Navit I did not found any sources on the SVN and it's far
> from being easy to install.
> Vespucci declares itself explicitely as NOT being "a map-view or even
> a routing-application". And it failed to work on my G1.
> Remains actually osm-android (http://code.google.com/p/osm-android/)
> and eventually AndNav2 of which we'll have a closer look.
>
> Yours, S.

>>  sk> Am I right that there's no OpenStreetMap viewer software available for
>>  sk> Android-based phones - at least no open source except AndNav2?
>>
>>  There is an experimental port of Navit, which does on-device vector
>>  rendering and routing with OSM data. It works reasonably well in my
>>  limited testing so far.
>>
>>    http://wiki.navit-project.org/index.php/Navit_on_Android
>>

>>  There is also an experimental on-device editor called Vespucci
>>
>>     http://www.cyrket.com/package/de.blau.android
>>     http://code.google.com/p/osmeditor4android/wiki/Overview
>>
>>   which writes directly to the API.
>>
>>   With the multiple excellent logging applications that are available,
>>   Android is a nice mobile platform for OSM!
>>
>> --
>> Eric Marsden

Re: Any OpenStreetMap viewer for Android?

Stefan Keller
Dear all,

Many thanks for your responses - especially also those who created and
contributed to the tabular overview at
http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Android

I additionally found MGMaps (available at
www.nutiteq.com/libsdk.html), but it's actually 'only' an SDK lib.
After some confusions about the license I got convinced that it's GPL
for non-commercial use. I added it at the bottom of the afore
mentioned Wiki page.

Yours, Stefan

2009/9/29 Stefan Baebler <[hidden email]>:

> There a page in wiki:
> http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Android
> that lists also other OSM software for Android.
>
> Stefan
>
> On Mon, Sep 28, 2009 at 11:21 PM, Stefan Keller <[hidden email]> wrote:
>> Many thanks for all the hints so far.
>> Regarding Navit I did not found any sources on the SVN and it's far
>> from being easy to install.
>> Vespucci declares itself explicitely as NOT being "a map-view or even
>> a routing-application". And it failed to work on my G1.
>> Remains actually osm-android (http://code.google.com/p/osm-android/)
>> and eventually AndNav2 of which we'll have a closer look.
>>
>> Yours, S.

>>>  sk> Am I right that there's no OpenStreetMap viewer software available for
>>>  sk> Android-based phones - at least no open source except AndNav2?
>>>
>>>  There is an experimental port of Navit, which does on-device vector
>>>  rendering and routing with OSM data. It works reasonably well in my
>>>  limited testing so far.
>>>
>>>    http://wiki.navit-project.org/index.php/Navit_on_Android
>>>

>>>  There is also an experimental on-device editor called Vespucci
>>>
>>>     http://www.cyrket.com/package/de.blau.android
>>>     http://code.google.com/p/osmeditor4android/wiki/Overview
>>>
>>>   which writes directly to the API.
>>>
>>>   With the multiple excellent logging applications that are available,
>>>   Android is a nice mobile platform for OSM!
>>>
>>> --
>>> Eric Marsden

Re: Any OpenStreetMap viewer for Android?

Jochen123
On Tue, Nov 10, 2009 at 09:55:31PM +0100, Stefan Keller wrote:
> I additionally found MGMaps (available at
> www.nutiteq.com/libsdk.html), but it's actually 'only' an SDK lib.
> After some confusions about the license I got convinced that it's GPL
> for non-commercial use. I added it at the bottom of the afore
> mentioned Wiki page.

There is no such thing as "GPL for non-commercial" use. They claim on their web
page somewhere that their SDK is Open Source, but it's not. See the FAQ here:
http://www.nutiteq.com/faq.html#What_are_your_licensing_options

Jochen
--
Jochen Topf  [hidden email]  http://www.remote.org/jochen/  +49-721-388298

Re: Any OpenStreetMap viewer for Android?

Stefan Keller
Here we are; trapped in the confusion I got before:
* http://www.nutiteq.com/e-shop.html says "MGMaps Lib SDK is open
source toolkit"
* Inside the zip file of the lib there's a LICENSE file which says GPL.
* http://developers.cloudmade.com/projects/show/j2me-lib-android at
least implicitly supports this

I interpret this as a "dual license".
-S.

On Wed, Nov 11, 2009 at 04:03:21PM +0100, Stefan Keller wrote:
> Here we are; trapped in the confusion I got before:
> * http://www.nutiteq.com/e-shop.html says "MGMaps Lib SDK is open
> source toolkit"
> * Inside the zip file of the lib there's a LICENSE file which says GPL.
> * http://developers.cloudmade.com/projects/show/j2me-lib-android at
> least implicitly supports this
>
> I interpret this as a "dual license".

I interpret this as "they don't know what they are talking about, so keep away"
:-)

Jochen
--
Jochen Topf  [hidden email]  http://www.remote.org/jochen/  +49-721-388298

Re: Any OpenStreetMap viewer for Android?

Nick Black
Hi guys,

I'll let Jaak from Nutiteq comment more, but it seems pretty clear to me:

http://www.nutiteq.com/faq.html#What_are_your_licensing_options

"Can I use the tools for free?

You can use MGMaps Lib SDK for free within the terms of GPL. It means
that you need to license your application also as GPL, i.e. publish
also your application source code. For commercial applications we
suggest commercial licenses."

You can use a GPL version of the SDK for free / gratis.  If you do not
want to license your end product GPL then you can license a non-GPL
version of the code from Nutiteq.  This is a pretty common form of
licensing, used by MySQL AB and Trolltech for Qt
(http://qt.nokia.com/products/licensing).

I would certainly not say that Nutiteq "don't know what they are
talking about" and I wouldn't "stay away from them".  They are a for
profit company who are making their libraries available for open
source developers to build on.  That definitely puts them in my good
books :-)

--
Nick

On Thu, Nov 12, 2009 at 3:15 AM, Jochen Topf <[hidden email]> wrote:

> On Wed, Nov 11, 2009 at 04:03:21PM +0100, Stefan Keller wrote:
> > Here we are; trapped in the confusion I got before:
> > * http://www.nutiteq.com/e-shop.html says "MGMaps Lib SDK is open
> > source toolkit"
> > * Inside the zip file of the lib there's a LICENSE file which says GPL.
> > * http://developers.cloudmade.com/projects/show/j2me-lib-android at
> > least implicitly supports this
> >
> > I interpret this as a "dual license".
>
> I interpret this as "they don't know what they are talking about, so keep away"
> :-)
>
> Jochen
> --
> Jochen Topf  [hidden email]  http://www.remote.org/jochen/  +49-721-388298

Nick Black
twitter.com/nick_b

Re: Any OpenStreetMap viewer for Android?

Jochen123
I am sorry, I obviously didn't read everything on your web page. I clicked on
the FAQ link and then from the table of contents on the "What are your licensing
options?" link. This took me to:
http://www.nutiteq.com/faq.html#What_are_your_licensing_options

There it says:
    What are your licensing options?

    Basic license system is one-time fee per application. With single license you
    can distribute as many copies of the application as you wish; but if there is
    different application (for the user) then new license is required. Variations
    of application for different devices and languages are included in the single
    license, and do not require additional license. See more information about
    license pricing from the Pricing page.

It doesn't say that GPL is an option. So I assumed that it isn't. I didn't see
the section above it about the free use. I also looked on the "Prices" page
(http://www.nutiteq.com/e-shop.html). The first sentence on this page is "You
must agree first with the license terms". Again the GPL is not mentioned here.
This is very confusing. I suggest mentioning the GPS option on this page, too.

As it stands, the web site has many seemingly conflicting licensing information
at the moment.  Maybe using the word dual-licensed in some places would make it
clearer: "MGMaps SDK is dual-licensed. You can use it as free software under
the GPL license (see here for more...) or buy a commercial license..."

Jochen

--
Jochen Topf  [hidden email]  http://www.remote.org/jochen/  +49-721-388298