Any option to include POIs as ways?

Dominik Seelow
Hi all,

Is there any way to transform (user-defined) POIs into short ways?

It is quite helpful to see potentially hazardous barriers of any kind in
advance on the GPS when cycling. Unfortunately, my device does not care
for mkgmap's resolution settings when it comes to POIs and chooses by
itself which types to display (apparently the normal behaviour of Garmin
Edges). I would hence have to switch to high detail level and drown in
POIs, thus making the map pretty unreadable.
The numerous barrier POIs also pollute the search function - I suppose,
nobody wants to be flooded with bollard entries when searching for
nearby POIs.

So I am thinking of a 'pois-as-lines' function which adds a 'way' for
each POI - I could then choose to ignore barriers, railway crossings, or
traffic lights in the points file but assign a non-routable line type in
the lines files instead. POIs relevant for planing _and_ when riding
(such as mountain passes) could be assigned both, a line and a POI,
whilst others (e.g. restaurants) could remain ordinary POIs.

Is there any way to achieve this?

Thanks in advance,
Dominik

P.S. Thank you for this great tool!

Re: Any option to include POIs as ways?

nwillink
One way is to extract the barriers your self (perhaps use GPSMapEdit) and create a line or circle and save it as a separate mp or osm.

I would experiment with barriers near you and judge how effective such lines would be.

Nick

Re: Any option to include POIs as ways?

Gerd Petermann
Hi Dominik,

I think it is possible to add code to support this but I don't see how this feature would help
reg. barriers. My experience is that most barriers are at crossings, besides that you should
probably prefer to look on the road ahead, not the GPS ;-)

Gerd

Re: Any option to include POIs as ways?

Dominik Seelow
On 26.07.17 12:16, Gerd Petermann wrote:

Hi Gerd,

> I think it is possible to add code to support this but I don't see how this feature would help
> reg. barriers. My experience is that most barriers are at crossings, besides that you should
> probably prefer to look on the road ahead, not the GPS ;-)

I'll certainly rather look ahead.  ;-)

It is indeed not a big issue on roads but on designated cycle ways where
some planners seem to love to place barriers right after turns.
The problem worsens when you're riding in a bunch with other riders in
front of you who do not gradually slow down before a turn but rather
brake in full panic when they spot an obstacle. Or simply do not
indicate potential hazards such railway crossings. I feel much safer
knowing potential dangers in advance.

I think that such a feature might be helpful for many other purposes as
well: I would like to see the position of mountain passes or summits as
'dots' when cycling (without all the other POIs) whilst others might
want to display all bus stops in their public transport map. Garmin
devices seem not to offer the flexibility to choose the POIs to be shown.

I had hoped for some hidden mkgmap feature or some kind of dual-use
capabilities of the link-pois-to-ways function. But I can easily modify
the OSM files to create a second node for each POI of (my) interest and
a way connecting them, this should solve my problem as well.

Best,
Dominik

Re: Any option to include POIs as ways?

Gerd Petermann
Hi Dominik,

okay, I remember one such barrier after an s-curve on a rather narrow hw=track going downhill. Unwarned, one may arrive with +30 km/h at it.
Still. I doubt that we can find a good way to display them. Please try and let us know your results.

Gerd