Any problem with Debian tile servers?

Tom Browder
I want to run my own tile server but I run Debian 9 on the server I plan to use. All the docs I have seen so far target Ubuntu. Is there any problem with using other Linux distros?

Thanks.

-Tom

Re: Any problem with Debian tile servers?

Sebastiaan Couwenberg
On 4/8/19 8:11 PM, Tom Browder wrote:
> I want to run my own tile server but I run Debian 9 on the server I plan to
> use. All the docs I have seen so far target Ubuntu. Is there any problem
> with using other Linux distros?

You can't use PPAs on Debian like those documented in switch2osm, but
you can build mod_tile from source.

The biggest benefit of using Debian over Ubuntu is that the geospatial
package are actively maintained in Debian, in Ubuntu they are not. There
is someone actually triaging bugs and able to provide stable updates for
important issues in packages, Ubuntu does not have that.

Kind Regards,

Bas

--
 GPG Key ID: 4096R/6750F10AE88D4AF1
Fingerprint: 8182 DE41 7056 408D 6146  50D1 6750 F10A E88D 4AF1

Re: Any problem with Debian tile servers?

Yuri Astrakhan-2
Tom, I would highly recommend running inside a Docker container if you can.  The performance impact is negligible, but you will have no issue with whatever technology / packaging / base OS you decide to use, plus migration and scaling up becomes substantially easier, e.g. if you move to a multi-server setup with Kubernetes.

For example, you could use a https://github.com/nyurik/tileserver-gl-pack -- tileserver-gl package with a number of styles - you simply add a tile source to it (e.g. a big .mbtiles file)

On Mon, Apr 8, 2019 at 2:45 PM Tom Browder <[hidden email]> wrote:
I want to run my own tile server but I run Debian 9 on the server I plan to use. All the docs I have seen so far target Ubuntu. Is there any problem with using other Linux distros?

Thanks.

-Tom

Re: Any problem with Debian tile servers?

Andy Townsend
On 08/04/2019 19:54, Sebastiaan Couwenberg wrote:
> On 4/8/19 8:11 PM, Tom Browder wrote:
>> I want to run my own tile server but I run Debian 9 on the server I plan to
>> use. All the docs I have seen so far target Ubuntu. Is there any problem
>> with using other Linux distros?
> You can't use PPAs on Debian like those documented in switch2osm, but
> you can build mod_tile from source.

Just for clarity -
https://switch2osm.org/manually-building-a-tile-server-18-04-lts/
doesn't actually use any PPAs (it deliberately tries to stick to where
possible to what ships by default in the (Ubuntu) OS.

It'd be great for someone to do a Debian version of those instructions
(essentially, a button-by-button guide that people can follow to get a
system working and hopefully also understand a bit about how it all
hangs together).

However, as Yuri says, using Docker would also work if you were happy
with that approach.  I wrote a diary entry a while back
https://www.openstreetmap.org/user/SomeoneElse/diary/45070 that was
intended to be a "new to Docker" guide for Alexander Overvoorde’s
“openstreetmap-tile-server” repository (essentially "switch2osm in a can").

Best Regards,

Andy

Re: Any problem with Debian tile servers?

Sven Geggus
Tom Browder <[hidden email]> wrote:

> I want to run my own tile server but I run Debian 9 on the server I plan to
> use. All the docs I have seen so far target Ubuntu. Is there any problem
> with using other Linux distros?

tile.openstreetmap.de is running Debian from day one. So yes, this is
working fine.

Sven

--
"Thinking of using NT for your critical apps?
                                  Isn't there enough suffering in the world?"

Re: Any problem with Debian tile servers?

Julien Cochennec
Hi,
BTW we intend to build our own tiles server, for API calls in LeafLet or OpenLayers, what is the simplest way to do that?
I saw that many Docker Instances exists on Docker Run, some have the possibility to serve tiles for a region only, and it's perfect for our use.
Did you guys tried one of those?
I tried this one :
But it failed during the import, using a Docker Volume, maybe because of the low RAM? (2 Go for France-latest PBF only).
Thanks for your feedback, sorry if I should have open a new thread.

On Mon, Apr 8, 2019 at 2:03 PM Yuri Astrakhan <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Tom, I would highly recommend running inside a Docker container if you can.  The performance impact is negligible, but you will have no issue with whatever technology / packaging / base OS you decide to use, plus migration and scaling up becomes substantially easier, e.g. if you move to a multi-server setup with Kubernetes.

Thanks, Yuri.

On Thu, Apr 11, 2019 at 3:24 AM Sven Geggus <[hidden email]> wrote:
> tile.openstreetmap.de is running Debian from day one. So yes, this is
> working fine.

Thanks, Sven.

-Tom

Re: Any problem with Debian tile servers?

Sven Geggus
Hello,

I'm also using tirex, not renderd but this is likely a matter of taste:
https://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Tirex

Usually I'm also using backports of current PostgreSQL when I start with a
new setup. Backporting PostgreSQL 11 is very straight forward.

Regards

Sven

Tom Browder <[hidden email]> wrote:

> On Thu, Apr 11, 2019 at 3:24 AM Sven Geggus <[hidden email]> wrote:
>> tile.openstreetmap.de is running Debian from day one. So yes, this is
>> working fine.
>
> Thanks, Sven.
>
> -Tom

"Thinking of using NT for your critical apps?
                                  Isn't there enough suffering in the world?"
                   (Advertisement of Sun Microsystems in Wall Street Journal)
/me is giggls@ircnet, http://sven.gegg.us/ on the Web

Memory needed for a tile server data load (was: Re: Any problem with Debian tile servers?)

Andy Townsend
On 11/04/2019 15:59, Julien Cochennec wrote:
> I tried this one :
> https://github.com/Overv/openstreetmap-tile-server
> But it failed during the import, using a Docker Volume, maybe because
> of the low RAM? (2 Go for France-latest PBF only).

That repository worked for me (see
https://www.openstreetmap.org/user/SomeoneElse/diary/45070 ).  2Gb seems
too small for France - I find that around 4Gb to be needed for the
British Isles (only 1/3 of the size in OSM terms).  Try a French region
from http://download.geofabrik.de/europe/france.html to see if that works.

Best Regards,

Andy