Applet Update

Nick Burch-2
Hi All

I did some work on the applet over the weekend, and Steve's now put it
live.

The main thing to be aware of is that you'll now need Java 1.5. This is
because, amazingly, it wasn't until 1.5 that sun let you set proper
network timeouts on fetching from URLs!

So, the changes are:
* Tile downloads will now timeout and retry as needed. This should
    hopefully avoid the situation where it downloads half the tiles, and
    stops
* OSM data downloads will now retry if the initial connection times out
    (but not if it connects, but times out downloading). This should fix
    most times when it just sits there with no OSM data
* It'll now tell you when it's downloading OSM data, and the uploading
    notice is now easier to see
* ConcurrentModificationExceptions should be much less likely to occur
    (the most common crash of the applet)
* The basic details panel of ways, segments and nodes now has map features
    based values, rather than the old class ones.
* The zoom support is back
* More comments on what the code's up to

I'd say the main things still to do would be:
* Fix the periodic out of heapspace errors (now we're on 1.5, using weak
    hashmaps for some of the tile storage might help)
* Displaying gpx trackpoints in areas with no yahoo tiles
* Updating the docs

Nick

Re: Applet Update

Nick Whitelegg-2
Looks good. In areas without yahoo imagery, I'm wondering whether it would
be better not to display the "no imagery available" message and just show
OSM data as it seems to take time to download the "no imagery available"
image.

I guess it wouldn't be too hard to adapt the JOSM mappaint plugin to show
different way types in different colours, and show POIs as icons? I may
(no guarantees!) find time to do this over Christmas.
Another good thing to have would be to have footpaths and bridleways
within the pre-defined way types.

Actually I can see the Yahoo! imagery would be very useful in countryside
areas too, indeed arguably more useful than in towns, for putting in
things like field boundaries which are just about impossible to survey
otherwise.

Nick

Re: Applet Update

Tom Chance-2
Ahoy,

On Thu, 21 Dec 2006 12:03:48 +0000 (GMT), Nick Burch <[hidden email]> wrote:
> I did some work on the applet over the weekend, and Steve's now put it
> live.

Great work! I'm having fun tracing a sewage works near where I work :)

> * Displaying gpx trackpoints in areas with no yahoo tiles

Why not show them in areas with tiles as well? I'd like to be able to see how my trackpoints match up, and sometimes trackpoints are actually clearer than photos (e.g. when there are lots of trees around a road's end).

Regards,
Tom

Re: Applet Update

Richard Fairhurst
Nick Burch wrote:

> I did some work on the applet over the weekend, and Steve's now put it
> live.

On a similar note, I finished the last major bit of code for Potlatch
v0.1 last night. :) :)

There are a few bits of testing and tidying I want to do before
letting it out into the wild, and it's still definitely an 0.1 rather
than a 1.0. But hopefully we'll be able to deploy it in the New Year,
so users will have a choice of two fully-functional online editors.

cheers
Richard

Re: Applet Update

Nick Burch-2
On Thu, 21 Dec 2006, Nick Whitelegg wrote:
> Looks good. In areas without yahoo imagery, I'm wondering whether it
> would be better not to display the "no imagery available" message and
> just show OSM data as it seems to take time to download the "no imagery
> available" image.

How would we know if there's coverage there or not though? We're getting
the "no imagery available" tiles back from yahoo. I suppose we could try
to detect them and not show them, but we will still have to fetch each one

> I guess it wouldn't be too hard to adapt the JOSM mappaint plugin to
> show different way types in different colours, and show POIs as icons? I
> may (no guarantees!) find time to do this over Christmas.

Not sure, it might be. I don't know enough about the processing.org
drawing libraries to say either way

> Another good thing to have would be to have footpaths and bridleways
> within the pre-defined way types.

You can only have a single key=value for the entries on the basic page,
that's the only restriction. Anything more complicated has to be done by
hand on the advanced page. Just edit java/lib/data/way.xml, add in the
entries you want, and rebuild the jar

Nick

Re: Applet Update

Nick Burch-2
On Thu, 21 Dec 2006, Tom Chance wrote:
>> * Displaying gpx trackpoints in areas with no yahoo tiles
>
> Why not show them in areas with tiles as well? I'd like to be able to
> see how my trackpoints match up, and sometimes trackpoints are actually
> clearer than photos (e.g. when there are lots of trees around a road's
> end).

I'll leave that one to Steve to answer, since he turned off their display.
I guess we might want to make it a toggle, along with a toggle for the
yahoo data too, to give the user a choice

Would need coding though

Nick