Quantcast

Appropriate attribution to OSM in a mobile app

Appropriate attribution to OSM in a mobile app

dieterdreist
I wonder what appropriate attribution for a mobile app must look like. I do know that there are some hints about this in the FAQ

https://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Legal_FAQ#3a._I_would_like_to_use_OpenStreetMap_maps._How_should_I_credit_you.3F

which states:

--------------

Where to put it

This credit needs to appear in a place reasonable to the medium you are utilising. In other words, you should expect to credit OpenStreetMap in the same way and with the same prominence as would be expected by any other map supplier. Therefore:

  • For a browsable electronic map (e.g. embedded in a web page or mobile phone application), the credit should appear in the corner of the map, as commonly seen with map APIs/libraries such as Google Maps.
  • For a printed map, the credit should appear beside the map if that is where other such credits appear, and/or in the "acknowledgements" section of the publication (often at the start of a book or magazine).

If you are producing library code that offers OpenStreetMap data or tiles, you should make sure library users are aware of these terms. We strongly recommend that you display this credit by default when your library is used.

--------------

In a real world example, I have found an app which does credit OSM at the bottom of the first screen (relatively tiny, I'd say same size as is done in apps who provide constant attribution), but it vanishes as soon as you move the map (i.e. almost instantly because you always move the map). Also this attribution doesn't link or mention the ODbL in any way.

The other way to see OSM attribution is after clicking on settings, then on about and then on "legal" (i.e. it is very hidden). The map is the main feature of this app (its a tourist map guide).

What is your stance? I had written to the publisher and their answer was: "Sorry I didn't see your first email. When you open the app, we also directly provide contribution at the bottom until you move the map. See screenshot below."

Shall I insisist or accept their way of doing it?

Re: Appropriate attribution to OSM in a mobile app

Christoph Hormann-2
On Monday 20 March 2017, Martin Koppenhoefer wrote:

> In a real world example, I have found an app which does credit OSM at
> the bottom of the first screen (relatively tiny, I'd say same size as
> is done in apps who provide constant attribution), but it vanishes as
> soon as you move the map (i.e. almost instantly because you always
> move the map). Also this attribution doesn't link or mention the ODbL
> in any way.
>
> The other way to see OSM attribution is after clicking on settings,
> then on about and then on "legal" (i.e. it is very hidden). The map
> is the main feature of this app (its a tourist map guide).

The ODbL is fairly clear on that in principle

"You must include a notice associated with the Produced Work reasonably
calculated to make any Person that uses, views, accesses, interacts
with, or is otherwise exposed to the Produced Work aware that Content
was obtained from the Database"

There is a continuum of possibilities between flashing the attribution
in tiny letters at the bottom for half a second during startup and
having it displayed in big letters all the time.

Quite often the situation is simple because other credits (like for the
app creator or advertisements of any kind) are shown more prominently -
this is not all right obviously.

In most apps there are other good possibilities to make the user aware
of OSM as a data source - like during other activities than plain map
browsing - than an always on message on the map display.  Of course
many app developers do not look for a good way to do this but just look
for the least generous way to avoid getting sued.

--
Christoph Hormann
http://www.imagico.de/

Re: Appropriate attribution to OSM in a mobile app

James-2
OSMAnd doesnt even have an attribution on map. There are multiple reference to OSM/OSM editing in settings, but thats about it.

I'm aware it has "OSM" in the name, but still doesnt resolve the attribution...

On Mar 20, 2017 7:01 AM, "Christoph Hormann" <[hidden email]> wrote:
On Monday 20 March 2017, Martin Koppenhoefer wrote:

> In a real world example, I have found an app which does credit OSM at
> the bottom of the first screen (relatively tiny, I'd say same size as
> is done in apps who provide constant attribution), but it vanishes as
> soon as you move the map (i.e. almost instantly because you always
> move the map). Also this attribution doesn't link or mention the ODbL
> in any way.
>
> The other way to see OSM attribution is after clicking on settings,
> then on about and then on "legal" (i.e. it is very hidden). The map
> is the main feature of this app (its a tourist map guide).

The ODbL is fairly clear on that in principle

"You must include a notice associated with the Produced Work reasonably
calculated to make any Person that uses, views, accesses, interacts
with, or is otherwise exposed to the Produced Work aware that Content
was obtained from the Database"

There is a continuum of possibilities between flashing the attribution
in tiny letters at the bottom for half a second during startup and
having it displayed in big letters all the time.

Quite often the situation is simple because other credits (like for the
app creator or advertisements of any kind) are shown more prominently -
this is not all right obviously.

In most apps there are other good possibilities to make the user aware
of OSM as a data source - like during other activities than plain map
browsing - than an always on message on the map display.  Of course
many app developers do not look for a good way to do this but just look
for the least generous way to avoid getting sued.

--
Christoph Hormann
http://www.imagico.de/

Re: Appropriate attribution to OSM in a mobile app

There is a continuum of possibilities between flashing the attribution
in tiny letters at the bottom for half a second during startup and
having it displayed in big letters all the time.

yes, and likely not all of these are OK.

Quite often the situation is simple because other credits (like for the
app creator or advertisements of any kind) are shown more prominently -
this is not all right obviously.

OK.