Arghh ... GPS traces not loading

Tom Taylor-2
I spent the afternoon driving about nearby neighbourhoods (which are
mostly terrace housing threaded with little access roads) with my GPS
(Garmin Etrex Cx). Experimentally, I divided my data into three parts,
to keep the upload files a reasonable size. After each segment, I saved
a named file, then cleared the track log. (I've found from experience
that if I don't clear the log, the tracks accumulate and all I've done
is save partial snapshots along the way.)

Unfortunately, it seems like clearing the track log deleted something
vital. My two earlier segments won't upload because they lack
timestamps. This is true even when I try to upload them as Public rather
than Identifiable.

Fortunately the final segment was the one that involved the most work,
but at least an hour of driving was wasted.

By the way: I labelled those nameless little access roads as
highway=service, service=parking_aisle, access=destination.
"Parking_aisle" is an odd term for something that winds on for a couple
of hundred meters, but I can't see a better alternative.

TomT5454

Re: Arghh ... GPS traces not loading

Cartinus
On 12/25/2012 04:13 AM, Tom Taylor wrote:
> Unfortunately, it seems like clearing the track log deleted something
> vital. My two earlier segments won't upload because they lack
> timestamps. This is true even when I try to upload them as Public rather
> than Identifiable.

Plugging "add timestamps to gpx file" into Google gave me (among others)

* A Python script and xmlstarlet at help.openstreetmap.org [1].
* An example of a GpsBabel command [2]

[1]<https://help.openstreetmap.org/questions/2130/gpx-file-no-time-tag>
[2]<http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=654763>

--
---
m.v.g.,

Re: Arghh ... GPS traces not loading

Sebastian Arcus

On 25/12/12 03:13, Tom Taylor wrote:

> By the way: I labelled those nameless little access roads as
> highway=service, service=parking_aisle, access=destination.
> "Parking_aisle" is an odd term for something that winds on for a couple
> of hundred meters, but I can't see a better alternative.

Maybe others will come with a better solution, but I sometimes just tag
those roads as "highway=service" and leave it at that. I'm not sure
"service=parking_aisle" would be appropriate, unless they are in an
actual car park. Looking up the OSM documentation, it seems that
"service=driveway" might also be an appropriate tag, if they lead to one
specific business or residence.

But maybe someone else more knowledgeable will come along and suggest
something more suitable.

Sebastian

Re: Arghh ... GPS traces not loading

Craig Wallace
On 25/12/2012 03:13, Tom Taylor wrote:

> I spent the afternoon driving about nearby neighbourhoods (which are
> mostly terrace housing threaded with little access roads) with my GPS
> (Garmin Etrex Cx). Experimentally, I divided my data into three parts,
> to keep the upload files a reasonable size. After each segment, I saved
> a named file, then cleared the track log. (I've found from experience
> that if I don't clear the log, the tracks accumulate and all I've done
> is save partial snapshots along the way.)
>
> Unfortunately, it seems like clearing the track log deleted something
> vital. My two earlier segments won't upload because they lack
> timestamps. This is true even when I try to upload them as Public rather
> than Identifiable.
>
> Fortunately the final segment was the one that involved the most work,
> but at least an hour of driving was wasted.

This is a common feature on Garmins - when you 'save' a track, the saved
track won't have timestamps, plus it will be somewhat simplified.

For the Etrex Cx or HCx, the best option is to set it to "log track to
data card" (on main menu > Tracks > Setup > Data Card Setup). Then you
never need to worry about running about space for the track. If you have
a 1GB card, it will have have space for thousands of hours of tracks at
1 point per second, and all will have timestamps.
No need to clear the tracklog or save the track with this option.

The tracks will be recorded on the memory card as a GPX for each day, ie
named 20121225.gpx. Note to download these from the Etrex, you can set
it to USB mass storage mode (on menu > Setup > Interface).

Craig

Re: Arghh ... GPS traces not loading

Craig Wallace
On 25/12/2012 03:13, Tom Taylor wrote:
> Unfortunately, it seems like clearing the track log deleted something
> vital. My two earlier segments won't upload because they lack
> timestamps. This is true even when I try to upload them as Public rather
> than Identifiable.

Also to add, you can just open the GPX files in JOSM (even if they don't
have timestamps). Then draw ways etc from them as usual.

You don't need to upload the tracks on openstreetmap.org. Though it is
often helpful to do so, as it allows other people to use them, and can
improve the accuracy etc.

Craig

Re: Arghh ... GPS traces not loading

Tom Taylor-2
Just to follow up on this: I discovered a few things about how my Garmin
eTrex Vista Cx stores tracks and recorded my observations in the OSM
user diary. Fortunately my log was written both to memory and to the
data card, where it could be fully retrieved and was fully accepted by
OSM -- something over 3000 points. I gather far larger tracks have been
uploaded successfully, so I'll stop worrying about that.

Thanks to Cartinus, Craig Wallace, and Vclaw for useful advice.

TomT5454