Attribution guideline status update

Attribution guideline status update – As we've mentioned multiple times over the last months, the LWG decided last year to consolidate all attribution guidance in to one document and ...
9 Aug 2019, 10:41 by simon@...: >  consolidate all attribution guidance in to one document  > Thanks for work on that! Unfortunate...
Here's another example by Uber. They attribute the tiles visibly, not OSM... how can we measure if it's 50% OSM? we can't https://movement.ube...
Today i was check the maps on their website and noticed they have a report button, which i thought would create a note on OSM. Oh i was wrong,...
Re: [Osmf-talk] Attribution guideline status update – On Mon, Sep 9, 2019 at 12:10 PM Nuno Caldeira <nunocapelocaldeira@...> wrote: > Today i was check the maps on their website and notic...
I was not aware of that. Is that information public or been published somewhere? Also what does it do? notes for OpenStreetMap or the so calle...
https://wiki.osmfoundation.org/wiki/Working_Group_Minutes/DWG_2018_11_15#Facebook_update On Mon, Sep 9, 2019 at 1:47 PM Nuno Caldeira <n...
Not that I've heard (I don't think that was ever the case), but 1000s of notes about FB on OSM sounds terrible to me - they would only add noise ...
Reports of FB problems to FB rather than to OSM (was: Attribution guideline status update) – On 10/09/2019 17:40, Kathleen Lu via talk wrote: > Not that I've heard (I don't think that was ever the case), but 1000s > of notes about F...
Andy - what I meant was the hypothetical that Nuno suggested would be terrible. *If* the Facebook button created a note in OSM, then OSM *would* ...
oh good. strange that we still get email complains about Instagram users of their address being on OSM, when it's not. so we have Facebook numb...
Re: [Osmf-talk] Attribution guideline status update – On 10/09/2019 01:19, Nuno Caldeira wrote: > oh good. strange that we still get email complains about Instagram > users of their address b...
Here's another example of why we should not adopt the multiple sources attribution omission of our attribution. They list us as partners (?) htt...
I don't quite follow your argument here. According to the draft guideline if a majority of the data displayed is derived from OSM, then attribut...
BTW a potential tweak to the wording (caveat: not discussed with anybody) that would perhaps make the multiple data sources scenario work a bit ...
On Sunday 08 September 2019, Simon Poole wrote: > > /If OpenStreetMap is not the largest data provider for the visible > map rendering, a...
Am 08.09.2019 um 19:39 schrieb Christoph Hormann: > On Sunday 08 September 2019, Simon Poole wrote: >> /If OpenStreetMap is not the l...
On Sunday 08 September 2019, Simon Poole wrote: > > I think you are confusing potentially extractable information with > actual data. For...
Am 08.09.2019 um 20:37 schrieb Christoph Hormann: > On Sunday 08 September 2019, Simon Poole wrote: >> I think you are confusing pote...
On Sunday 08 September 2019, Simon Poole wrote: > > But in any case the guideline refers to the  "visible map rendering". > At ...
On Sun, Sep 8, 2019 at 1:24 PM Christoph Hormann <osm@...> wrote: > On Sunday 08 September 2019, Simon Poole wrote: > > > &...
The attribution should be at least (c)OpenStreetMap, but it's fine to give more detail like: 1. Using just the coastal shoreline in the basemap: ...
To illustrate where this discussion has gone awry please consider a rendering using 10 data sources all licensed on ODbL terms (in real life it ...
In the case of 10 sources with ODbL attribution requirements, I would still prefer that (c)Openstreetmap be included on the rendering, because thi...
Am 09.09.2019 um 02:03 schrieb Joseph Eisenberg: > In the case of 10 sources with ODbL attribution requirements, I would > still prefer ...
On Monday 09 September 2019, Simon Poole wrote: > > Kathleen has already touched on this, but one more time. In general > the guidelines ...
Am 09.09.2019 um 12:08 schrieb Christoph Hormann: > > Existing guidelines allow a lot of things that are clearly not allowed > by...
On Monday 09 September 2019, Simon Poole wrote: > Am 09.09.2019 um 12:08 schrieb Christoph Hormann: > > Existing guidelines allow a lot o...
Look I'm sorry that the ODbL is not contact poison. It is a, in some ways very permissive (so permissive that it isn't even compatible with th...
9 Sep 2019, 15:58 by simon@... <mailto:simon@...>: > Look I'm sorry that the ODbL is not contact poison. > Maybe I missed it, but...
"Gib jemandem den kleinen Finger und er nimmt die ganze Hand": "Give them an inch and they'll take a mile." ________________...
Just as a general comment and data point on the "the OSMF is scumbling to commercial interests and throwing the licence out of the window&qu...
On Monday 09 September 2019, Simon Poole wrote: > To illustrate where this discussion has gone awry please consider a > rendering using 10 d...
On Monday 09 September 2019, Simon Poole wrote: > > > > And what happens if one of the data sources has a hard visible > > attri...
Am 09.09.2019 um 14:16 schrieb Christoph Hormann: > On Monday 09 September 2019, Simon Poole wrote: >>> And what happens if one of...
On Monday 09 September 2019, Simon Poole wrote: > >>> And what happens if one of the data sources has a hard visible > >>>...
On Sunday 08 September 2019, Clifford Snow wrote: > > Christoph, > What would you recommend and how can it be implemented and tested to &...
Am 08.09.2019 um 23:52 schrieb Christoph Hormann: > On Sunday 08 September 2019, Clifford Snow wrote: >> Christoph, >> What wo...
Re: > where to put the attribution when multiple sources have been used in a map rendering and OSM is not the source of the majority of the dat...
Am 09.09.2019 um 01:41 schrieb Joseph Eisenberg: > Re: > where to put the attribution when multiple sources have been > used in a map...
On Monday 09 September 2019, Simon Poole wrote: > > > > I think any substantial use of OSM data should be attributed in a > > wa...
I don't want to sound overly simplistic, but as a copyright holder, I believe if ANY amount of my (or "our" in the sense of copyright sh...
Nobody is even remotely suggesting that use OpenStreetMap data can be used without attribution (claims that that is the case lead me to believe ...
How about: You display OSM data, you attribute, and you attribute on the map view. If that's what we want, I would be OK for a short attributi...
Can confirm roads, buildings, parks are from OSM from a little bit more than a year ago. Not sure what the other sources contributed On Sun...
9 Aug 2019, 10:41 by simon@...: > As we've mentioned multiple times over the last months, the LWG decided > last year to consolidate all...
Thanks to Christine and the SotM-WG we've been allocated a slot and a room in Heidelberg see https://2019.stateofthemap.org/sessions/AV9NWC/ S...
I am strongly against this in the current form because it addresses none of the major issues about corporate attribution of OSM (or lack thereo...
Christoph Hormann wrote: > It does not in any way address the problem of second rate attribution > (i.e. someone else - usually the service...
On Friday 09 August 2019, Richard Fairhurst wrote: > > It does not in any way address the problem of second rate > > attribution (i.e....
Às 14:56 de 09/08/2019, Christoph Hormann escreveu: > On Friday 09 August 2019, Richard Fairhurst wrote: > It is a community guideline -...
> Guidelines by the licensor > > On legal advice, *what a Licensor says carries weight with users of our > data and, potentially, t...
So you are saying that when we switched from CC to ODbL, the bellow quote was not true? > Both licenses are “By Attribution” and “Share Al...
Where in CC-BY-SA's license does it say that attribution must be on top of an image or that no interaction is allowed??? On Fri, Aug 9, 2019...
> Where in CC-BY-SA's license does it say that attribution must be on > top of an image As written on CC-BY-SA > *Attribution*. &g...
Your complaint about LiveStream is that their attribution is completely missing, not that it's behind a click. I agree that it's missing and that...
On Fri, Aug 9, 2019 at 3:27 PM Nuno Caldeira <nunocapelocaldeira@...> wrote: > Your complaint about LiveStream is that their attribut...
> So maybe it is an unauthorized use of Mapbox. Anyone can sign up free. > You should report it to Mapbox. Nah, they stop replying me...
sent from a phone On 10. Aug 2019, at 11:27, Nuno Caldeira <nunocapelocaldeira@...> wrote: >> can't they use more than one d...
Hi Martin, > For another perspective, imagine someone making a world map with 85% > OpenStreetMap data and 15% XY inc. data, if someone...
https://janaodaparaabastecer.vost.pt/ is a very interesting example. On my screen, the attribution clearly stretches longer than the width of th...
sent from a phone > On 13. Aug 2019, at 20:19, Kathleen Lu <kathleen.lu@...> wrote: > > And to Martin's point, which would you ...
> > > And to Martin's point, which would you consider more important, the > overlay of rare information, the gas stations, or the ba...
Às 22:04 de 13/08/2019, Kathleen Lu escreveu: > > > > > > And to Martin's point, which would you consider more imp...
sent from a phone > On 13. Aug 2019, at 23:04, Kathleen Lu <kathleen.lu@...> wrote: > > As far as I know, no one is talking abo...
> https://janaodaparaabastecer.vost.pt/ is a very interesting example. > On my screen, the attribution clearly stretches longer than the w...
I'm just an individual mapper who would like more people to be aware of Openstreetmap. I'm not a professional cartographer, nor do I have any ties...
On Sat, 10 Aug 2019 at 17:27, Joseph Eisenberg <joseph.eisenberg@...> wrote: > It's even hard to recommend apps like Maps.me when the...
Another lovely example from our OSMF Corporate Member. https://blog.mapbox.com/designing-the-treasure-map-style-4318390ad81c Also feel free ...
Oh right that sounds fair...not. Same applies to this https://janaodaparaabastecer.vost.pt/ theres Mapbox logo, there's VOST logo, then under...
Kathleen Lu wrote: > "reasonably calculated" means "reasonable." What does reasonable mean? > Well a court would look a...
On Friday 09 August 2019, Kathleen Lu wrote: > > "reasonably calculated" means "reasonable." [...] I am sorry but this ...
On Friday 09 August 2019, Kathleen Lu wrote: > You are right that we hope to avoid disputes by setting out > reasonable guidelines, but if O...
I disagree that there is no harm. The credibility point goes both ways. While no one could sue OSMF for recommending something that is not requir...
> . Plus, if anyone went to court trying to enforce something that OSMF > recommended that was outside the licence, they would lose, and...
On Friday 09 August 2019, Kathleen Lu wrote: > I disagree that there is no harm. [...] Not sure if you noticed but my argument was the inheren...
Christoph Hormann wrote: > Just for understanding what second rate attribution is: For example > the map on the bottom right of: > http...
On Friday 09 August 2019, Richard Fairhurst wrote: > > For better understanding, you claimed "this looks pretty much like > being wr...
sent from a phone > On 9. Aug 2019, at 14:19, Richard Fairhurst <richard@...> wrote: > > But you can't start requiring that &qu...
Martin Koppenhoefer wrote: > If you look at Apple Maps, and for example zoomed into some place in Denmark, there is an i-button which brings yo...
On Friday 09 August 2019, Richard Fairhurst wrote: > > These new guidelines say that, for 480px+ screens, hiding OSM > attribution behind...
I think we move in different mapper communities as "mapping for the reward of being recognized by external data users" has never even be...
On Friday 09 August 2019, Jóhannes Birgir Jensson wrote: > I think we move in different mapper communities as "mapping for the > reward...
About the 50% exception. i recently had to be unpleasant with Fatmap (their app and website https://fatmap.com/), after 2 months of zero actio...
Hi, I wonder if we could perhaps get rid of the "Contributors" mention altogether. The term "OpenStreetMap Contributors"...
On 09.08.19 16:35, Frederik Ramm wrote: > I wonder if we could perhaps get rid of the "Contributors" mention > altogether. This i...
I agree, this would be more snappy and more international. It woulrd not be necessary to translate the attribution for various languages.   By sho...
I concur, this becomes long and unwieldy fast in my own language and to fully capture it requires a full sentence, with a comma for clarity even. ...
On Fri, Aug 9, 2019 at 7:35 AM Frederik Ramm <frederik@...> wrote: > Hi, > > I wonder if we could perhaps get rid of the "...
Hi Static Images. "Static images should be generally attributed the same way as dynamic images, " I agree & a way to enable ...
On Friday 09 August 2019, Dave F via talk wrote: > Hi > > Static Images. > > "Static images should be generally attributed the...
Thank you for your work! I believe that clearly documenting our expectations is a very important step towards solving the current problems surroun...
> * What's the guidance on scenarios where software does not ship with OSM > data, and does not display online maps, but e.g. allows downlo...
On Fri, 9 Aug 2019 at 08:41, Simon Poole <simon@...> wrote: > to consolidate all attribution guidance in to one document Some thoughts:...
SimonPoole wrote: > the few things that are not nailed down belong to those that we > would appreciate feedback on. This is really good, a...
Hi Simon, This guideline is a great piece of work, thanks a lot to all the participants. Inevitably, this will be too much or not enough for any...