Australia maritime boundaries - Geoscience Australia

Australia maritime boundaries - Geoscience Australia

Lee Mason

Except for the territorial boundary, Australia’s maritime boundaries in OpenStreetMap are incomplete. I have found two potential data sources for import from Geoscience Australia. Both are CC-BY-4.0 and I believe the waiver for GSA covers these datasets, but I ask here to be 100% certain.

Link to the waiver:

https://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/File:GeoscienceAustralia_CCBY_Waiver_EmailAcceptance.pdf

Includes boundaries of the exclusive economic zone, contiguous zone and territorial sea (already in map):

https://data.gov.au/dataset/seas-and-submerged-lands-act-1973-australian-maritime-boundaries-2014a-geodatabase

Includes coastal water boundaries:

https://data.gov.au/dataset/coastal-waters-state-territory-powers-act-1980-australian-maritime-boundaries-2014a-geodatabase

At present, state and territory admin borders in OSM (admin_level =4) extend out to Australia’s maritime territorial border (admin_level=2). It appears that the proper form would be to extend to coastal water limits instead.

Any import would be fairly straight forward, just needs to be carefully integrated with the existing state/territory boundaries and the recently imported marine parks of Commonwealth waters (which are within the EEZ, but outside of coastal waters).

Geoscience Australia has a useful list of maritime boundary definitions:

http://www.ga.gov.au/scientific-topics/marine/jurisdiction/maritime-boundary-definitions

Re: Australia maritime boundaries - Geoscience Australia

Andrew Davidson-3
Yeap, maritime boundaries have been on my "todo list" for a while now.
However, I was waiting for GA to release an updated dataset that will
have the new boundaries arising from recent treaty negotiations with
East Timor. I'd suggest waiting till then.

On 01/09/18 10:53, Lee Mason wrote:

> Except for the territorial boundary, Australia’s maritime boundaries in
> OpenStreetMap are incomplete. I have found two potential data sources
> for import from Geoscience Australia. Both are CC-BY-4.0 and I believe
> the waiver for GSA covers these datasets, but I ask here to be 100% certain.
>
> Link to the waiver:
>
> https://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/File:GeoscienceAustralia_CCBY_Waiver_EmailAcceptance.pdf
>
> Includes boundaries of the exclusive economic zone, contiguous zone and
> territorial sea (already in map):
>
> https://data.gov.au/dataset/seas-and-submerged-lands-act-1973-australian-maritime-boundaries-2014a-geodatabase
>
> Includes coastal water boundaries:
>
> https://data.gov.au/dataset/coastal-waters-state-territory-powers-act-1980-australian-maritime-boundaries-2014a-geodatabase
>
> At present, state and territory admin borders in OSM (admin_level =4)
> extend out to Australia’s maritime territorial border (admin_level=2).
> It appears that the proper form would be to extend to coastal water
> limits instead.
>
> Any import would be fairly straight forward, just needs to be carefully
> integrated with the existing state/territory boundaries and the recently
> imported marine parks of Commonwealth waters (which are within the EEZ,
> but outside of coastal waters).
>
> Geoscience Australia has a useful list of maritime boundary definitions:
>
> http://www.ga.gov.au/scientific-topics/marine/jurisdiction/maritime-boundary-definitions

Re: Australia maritime boundaries - Geoscience Australia

Andrew Harvey-3
I guess you saw already, but it looks like most of these have tags defined https://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Tag:boundary%3Dmaritime

Thanks Lee for posting about this and posting those GA links, very helpful! I'm in favour of importing these, it seems the GA data is good to use, but I would ask that before anyone does imports, you make and document a plan, so which data sources, which tags are going to be used and seek feedback first.

> ...Jurisdiction over the water column and the subjacent seabed is vested in the adjacent State or Territory as if the area formed part of that State or Territory...

That seems to imply that the coastal waters aren't part of the State or Territory, just that the State and Territories have jurisdiction over that coastal water. I'm not even sure the State/Territory borders should extend out past the coastline at all? In the PSMA data it stops at the coastline.

I agree those that based on that information it's incorrect to extend them out to the current Australia admin_level=4 boundary, Australia's maritime territorial border.

> Yeap, maritime boundaries have been on my "todo list" for a while now. However, I was waiting for GA to release an updated dataset that will have the new boundaries arising from recent treaty negotiations with East Timor. I'd suggest waiting till then.

I'm not opposed to importing this data now and then amending later, all up to whoever wants to go through the import process and make it happen.

Re: Australia maritime boundaries - Geoscience Australia

Lee Mason

>That seems to imply that the coastal waters aren't part of the State or Territory, just that the State and Territories have jurisdiction over that coastal water. I'm not even sure the State/Territory borders should extend out past the coastline at all?

I would be in favour of extending the state/territory out to the coastal waters limits. I interpret the definition being that, for all intents and purposes, the coastal waters are part of the state/territory, except that these coastal waters constitute Australia’s territorial waters.

Also, extending the state/territory borders out to the coastal waters limits would enclose any features in OSM that lie outside of the coastline, but are managed or considered a part of the respective state/territory. Most notably bays or even some beaches.

As an example, The Ningaloo Marine Park [OSM]  (Commonwealth waters), lies directly adjacent to a marine park of the same name but within state waters and managed by Western Australia (currently not in OSM – but here is a good map showing both).

>However, I was waiting for GA to release an updated dataset that will

have the new boundaries arising from recent treaty negotiations with

East Timor. I'd suggest waiting till then.

I am happy to proceed with the import. I would expect any amendments would only be relatively minimal around the region.

>I would ask that before anyone does imports, you make and document a plan, so which data sources, which tags are going to be used and seek feedback

I shall start working on a plan, post it here, and begin importing after consultation.

Re: Australia maritime boundaries - Geoscience Australia

Graeme Fitzpatrick
Would this import effect the way the existing "coastline" is shown in OSM?

From the GA definitions earlier:

  • "The Normal baseline corresponds with the low water line along the coast, including the coasts of islands. Under the Convention, normal baseline can be drawn around low tide elevations which are defined as naturally formed areas of land surrounded by and above water at low tide but submerged at high tide, provided they are wholly or partly within 12 nautical miles of the coast. For Australian purposes, normal baseline corresponds to the level of Lowest Astronomical Tide (LAT).
  • Straight baselines are a system of straight lines joining specified or discrete points on the low-water line, usually known as straight baseline end points. These may be used in localities where the coastline is deeply indented and cut into, or where there is a fringe of islands along the coast in its immediate vicinity.
  • Bay or river closing lines are straight lines drawn between the respective low-water marks of the natural entrance points of bays or rivers.

Waters on the landward side of the baseline are internal waters for the purposes of international law."

In particular, would it bring in "Bay closing lines", which would correct this: http://tools.geofabrik.de/osmi/?view=highways&lon=3.11629&lat=45.75526&zoom=15&overlays=name_missing_major,name_missing_minor

I've corrected a couple manually where creeks flow into the ocean & the coastline was shown as being 5k inland, but it's a pretty slow job :-(

Thanks

Graeme

Re: Australia maritime boundaries - Geoscience Australia

Lee Mason

>Would this import effect the way the existing "coastline" is shown in OSM?

No, my original intent was not to import the baselines. Only the EEZ, contiguous zone, and coastal waters (state maritime boundary). And territorial maritime boundary fixes as necessary.

I see there are already some strait baseline boundaries in OSM, but only those of greater than several kms in length.