Australian Marine Parks Import

Lee Mason

Seeking comment, suggestions, objections to continuing importing Australian marine parks. Boundaries from CAPAD 2016, except names are amended as “Marine Park” not “Commonwealth Marine Reserve”.

Technically speaking, the vast majority of Commonwealth Marine Reserves were never in effect (no changes on water) until a just few days ago when the marine parks came into effect.

Regards,

Lee

FW: Australian Marine Parks Import

Lee Mason

Reflecting on your points raised in the changeset discussion, I would tend to agree more detail is better. My main motivation was to put this information on the maps as soon as it was applicable using the data available in CAPAD and my knowledge of the marine parks.

The majority of Commonwealth Marine Reserves as they appear in CAPAD now should not be added to OSM because they were never in effect, but have been ‘under review’ until this Sunday passed (this is stated in CAPAD under the obscure ‘UR’ acronym).

And just clarifying here, the names of the reserves have not changed, but the suffix or protection title of marine reserves managed by the Australian government has changed from “Commonwealth Marine Reserve” to “Marine Park” (if I remember correctly, the former was considered too military-esque).

ATT00001.txt (530 bytes) Download Attachment

Australian Marine Parks Import

Lee Mason

I have compiled some references below to support my original position when importing the marine parks. I am also asking for opinion if using the following sources on the import data would be acceptable:

source:geography=CAPAD 2016

source:name=Commonwealth Marine Reserves Review

The geospatial data of the zoning changes are not included in the current CAPAD release, so the zoning would be omitted in this import.

No changes to the outer boundaries of the reserves

[Speaking about the outcome of the review of marine reserves] “There is no loss of area under conservation management (reserve outer boundaries are unchanged)...”

https://theconversation.com/the-story-behind-australias-marine-reserves-and-how-we-should-change-them-65220

Change of names

“The Director of National Parks also consulted on a proposal to rename Commonwealth marine reserves. Based on this consultation, a proclamation has been made to formally change the name of 58 marine reserves to marine parks.”

https://web.archive.org/web/20180629205748/http://environment.gov.au/topics/marine/marine-reserves

The change of names is also clearly evident when visiting https://parksaustralia.gov.au/marine/ or https://parksaustralia.gov.au/marine/management/background/review-reports/

Regards

Lee

Re: Australian Marine Parks Import

Andrew Harvey-3
I'm okay with updating as you see fit.

On 6 July 2018 at 16:48, Lee Mason <[hidden email]> wrote:

source:geography=CAPAD 2016

source:name=Commonwealth Marine Reserves Review

Could you use `source:geometry` it's used over 1M times already, `source:geography` has practically no usage.

Re: Australian Marine Parks Import

Warin
On 06/07/18 18:23, Andrew Harvey wrote:
I'm okay with updating as you see fit.

On 6 July 2018 at 16:48, Lee Mason <[hidden email]> wrote:

source:geography=CAPAD 2016

source:name=Commonwealth Marine Reserves Review

Could you use `source:geometry` it's used over 1M times already, `source:geography` has practically no usage.

Geometry is the shape.

I have been using source:boundary=* as that say what I mean it to say - location and shape.
I don't care how much of little use a tag has - I care that it says what I mean - what is there. This is particularly relevant where the tag will never be rendered.

Re: Australian Marine Parks Import

Andrew Harvey-3
The Australian Marine Parks data owner reached out to me to bring the new Australian Marine Parks dataset[1] which went into effect on 1st July 2018 into OSM as they noticed we are mostly still using the outdated CAPAD 2016 data.

I've updated the Contributors page[2] with the required attribution and the CC BY waiver they completed[3].

@Lee and @cleary I know you've been working on these boundaries in the past, are you interested in updating OSM based on this data from DoEE?

On 4 July 2018 at 17:27, Lee Mason <[hidden email]> wrote:

Seeking comment, suggestions, objections to continuing importing Australian marine parks. Boundaries from CAPAD 2016, except names are amended as “Marine Park” not “Commonwealth Marine Reserve”.

Technically speaking, the vast majority of Commonwealth Marine Reserves were never in effect (no changes on water) until a just few days ago when the marine parks came into effect.

Regards,

Lee

Re: Australian Marine Parks Import

Lee Mason

I’d be happy to update the marine parks with the latest dataset.

Cheers – Lee.

SA Aquatic Reserves Import

Andrew Harvey-3
I'm proposing to import 5 aquatic reserves in SA as sourced from
https://data.sa.gov.au/data/dataset/aquatic-reserves

1. Licensing
okay per https://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Australian_Data_Catalogue
will add a list to Contributors wiki page as part of the import

2. Conflation with existing
- confirmed manually none of these exist in OSM currently
- the metadata for this data says that the coastal borders are mean
high water mark, so these should be glued with the OSM coastline,
however I'm proposing that be done post-import as a clean up task

3. Tagging
- name is the only tag brought across
- wikidata/wikpedia tags added manually
- protection_title=Aquatic Reserve
- operator_type=government
- operator=PIRSA Fisheries & Aquaculture
- boundary=protected_area
- note=coastline boundaries are Mean High Water Mark from DEWNR, they
can be glued to the OSM mean high water mark coastline

4. Open questions
- What is the protect_class?
- is boundary=protected_area enough for the relations, or should it
have type=boundary or type=multipolygon?

5. Import Process
Open https://tianjara.net/data/osm/imports/sa-aquatic-reserves.osm in
JOSM and upload
- done using dedicated import account
- changeset source tag pointing to
https://data.sa.gov.au/data/dataset/aquatic-reserves
- changeset tag pointing to this thread

/cc Lee and cleary since you worked on the commonwealth level marine
parks, any feedback on what I've proposed here would be great

Re: SA Aquatic Reserves Import

Andrew Harvey-3
https://data.sa.gov.au/data/dataset/marine-park-network-boundaries/resource/db08fa8c-2aaa-4937-9ba1-55a0934c534f
is another dataset we can try to include as it bridges the gaps CAPAD
leaves inside the coastal waters limit.
On Mon, 3 Dec 2018 at 18:50, Andrew Harvey <[hidden email]> wrote:

> I'm proposing to import 5 aquatic reserves in SA as sourced from
> https://data.sa.gov.au/data/dataset/aquatic-reserves
>
> 1. Licensing
> okay per https://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Australian_Data_Catalogue
> will add a list to Contributors wiki page as part of the import
>
> 2. Conflation with existing
> - confirmed manually none of these exist in OSM currently
> - the metadata for this data says that the coastal borders are mean
> high water mark, so these should be glued with the OSM coastline,
> however I'm proposing that be done post-import as a clean up task
>
> 3. Tagging
> - name is the only tag brought across
> - wikidata/wikpedia tags added manually
> - protection_title=Aquatic Reserve
> - operator_type=government
> - operator=PIRSA Fisheries & Aquaculture
> - boundary=protected_area
> - note=coastline boundaries are Mean High Water Mark from DEWNR, they
> can be glued to the OSM mean high water mark coastline
>
> 4. Open questions
> - What is the protect_class?
> - is boundary=protected_area enough for the relations, or should it
> have type=boundary or type=multipolygon?
>
> 5. Import Process
> Open https://tianjara.net/data/osm/imports/sa-aquatic-reserves.osm in
> JOSM and upload
> - done using dedicated import account
> - changeset source tag pointing to
> https://data.sa.gov.au/data/dataset/aquatic-reserves
> - changeset tag pointing to this thread
>
> /cc Lee and cleary since you worked on the commonwealth level marine
> parks, any feedback on what I've proposed here would be great

Re: SA Aquatic Reserves Import

Lee Mason

>- What is the protect_class?

I’m pretty sure that protect_class is just the IUCN classification of the protected area, which can roughly be interpreted as the conservation significance of the area. At least that is my interpretation from the wiki.

https://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Tag:boundary%3Dprotected_area

The table in the above link is a bit confused in regards to Australia, it correctly states in the category 1 column:

In Australia there is no general relationship between the title given to a protected area and its IUCN category. Tagging should be based on data from (CAPAD)”

But in categories 2-6, it contradicts and lists specific protection titles for a protect class.

Speaking from a Tasmanian example, Conservation Areas span from IUCN 1a to VI. But the vast majority are IV, V or VI.

> is boundary=protected_area enough for the relations, or should it
have type=boundary or type=multipolygon?

I think type=boundary and boundary=protected_area for the relations. Type=multipolygon is more for physical objects such as water, wood, etc.

Hope that helps.

Lee

I'm proposing to import 5 aquatic reserves in SA as sourced from
https://apc01.safelinks.protection.outlook.com/?url=https%3A%2F%2Fdata.sa.gov.au%2Fdata%2Fdataset%2Faquatic-reserves&amp;data=02%7C01%7C%7C94bca20cea9b4262dfc408d658f415a0%7C84df9e7fe9f640afb435aaaaaaaaaaaa%7C1%7C0%7C636794202683220412&amp;sdata=Yn4%2FnjNgpkFAw%2FbpeINY9ks%2FQR2liDg5%2BLql%2B9zzTbs%3D&amp;reserved=0

1. Licensing
okay per https://apc01.safelinks.protection.outlook.com/?url=https%3A%2F%2Fwiki.openstreetmap.org%2Fwiki%2FAustralian_Data_Catalogue&amp;data=02%7C01%7C%7C94bca20cea9b4262dfc408d658f415a0%7C84df9e7fe9f640afb435aaaaaaaaaaaa%7C1%7C0%7C636794202683220412&amp;sdata=wVhUJyyyZA0%2BmVlY95gSpfW%2BYUzRyBTgk%2BfOsQsgP1s%3D&amp;reserved=0

Open https://apc01.safelinks.protection.outlook.com/?url=https%3A%2F%2Ftianjara.net%2Fdata%2Fosm%2Fimports%2Fsa-aquatic-reserves.osm&amp;data=02%7C01%7C%7C94bca20cea9b4262dfc408d658f415a0%7C84df9e7fe9f640afb435aaaaaaaaaaaa%7C1%7C0%7C636794202683220412&amp;sdata=O%2Fv9%2BWGLMESstEtZ2AtW8X0Myg5eIgMPb5wxqcBYHMk%3D&amp;reserved=0 in
JOSM and upload
- done using dedicated import account
- changeset source tag pointing to
https://apc01.safelinks.protection.outlook.com/?url=https%3A%2F%2Fdata.sa.gov.au%2Fdata%2Fdataset%2Faquatic-reserves&amp;data=02%7C01%7C%7C94bca20cea9b4262dfc408d658f415a0%7C84df9e7fe9f640afb435aaaaaaaaaaaa%7C1%7C0%7C636794202683220412&amp;sdata=Yn4%2FnjNgpkFAw%2FbpeINY9ks%2FQR2liDg5%2BLql%2B9zzTbs%3D&amp;reserved=0
- changeset tag pointing to this thread

/cc Lee and cleary since you worked on the commonwealth level marine
parks, any feedback on what I've proposed here would be great

Re: SA Aquatic Reserves Import

cleary

My comments relate to point 4 (Open Questions):

In other datasets, the IUCN category has been part of the data. After a quick search I found that Wikipedia reports West Island Encounter Bay Aquatic Reserve to be IUCN category VI and gives CAPAD 2014 (retrieved in 2016) as the source. I don't think we can use Wikipedia as data source and I did not see  this data in CAPAD 2016 but it may be available elsewhere. SA Government has been very helpful to OSM and I'd be surprised if the data were not available somewhere.  Alternatively, if the areas do not have an IUCN category, the wiki identifies "protect_class=7" for nature-feature areas without IUCN level.

In regard to type=boundary or type=multipolygon, I have a strong preference for type=boundary.  I have used JOSM to add some data but Potlatch has been easier for reviewing/changing/modifying and checking against existing data.  I have found type=multipolygon renders relations difficult to edit in Potlatch whereas type=boundary is no problem. However others may have had different experiences and different editors may be the reason.

Some time ago, I raised on the talk-au list  the question of protected areas not being rendered on the map and the outcome was that we would add "leisure=nature_reserve" to all protected areas (whether or not the areas are used for leisure) until such time as the rendering problem is sorted.

Overall, I think this is a good data import.

On Mon, Dec 3, 2018, at 6:50 PM, Andrew Harvey wrote:

> I'm proposing to import 5 aquatic reserves in SA as sourced from
> https://data.sa.gov.au/data/dataset/aquatic-reserves
>
> 1. Licensing
> okay per https://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Australian_Data_Catalogue
> will add a list to Contributors wiki page as part of the import
>
> 2. Conflation with existing
> - confirmed manually none of these exist in OSM currently
> - the metadata for this data says that the coastal borders are mean
> high water mark, so these should be glued with the OSM coastline,
> however I'm proposing that be done post-import as a clean up task
>
> 3. Tagging
> - name is the only tag brought across
> - wikidata/wikpedia tags added manually
> - protection_title=Aquatic Reserve
> - operator_type=government
> - operator=PIRSA Fisheries & Aquaculture
> - boundary=protected_area
> - note=coastline boundaries are Mean High Water Mark from DEWNR, they
> can be glued to the OSM mean high water mark coastline
>
> 4. Open questions
> - What is the protect_class?
> - is boundary=protected_area enough for the relations, or should it
> have type=boundary or type=multipolygon?
>
> 5. Import Process
> Open https://tianjara.net/data/osm/imports/sa-aquatic-reserves.osm in
> JOSM and upload
> - done using dedicated import account
> - changeset source tag pointing to
> https://data.sa.gov.au/data/dataset/aquatic-reserves
> - changeset tag pointing to this thread
>
> /cc Lee and cleary since you worked on the commonwealth level marine
> parks, any feedback on what I've proposed here would be great

Re: SA Aquatic Reserves Import

Andrew Davidson-3
On Mon, Dec 3, 2018 at 8:23 PM Lee Mason <[hidden email]> wrote:

But in categories 2-6, it contradicts and lists specific protection titles for a protect class.

Sorry, that was me. I added that note to protect_class=1 a number of years ago but forgot/was too lazy to copy it to the other categories. I've fixed that now.

Speaking from a Tasmanian example, Conservation Areas span from IUCN 1a to VI. But the vast majority are IV, V or VI.

Yeap, if you look at the talk page you'll find a comment from me making this same point. That's why a look-up table based on names won't work in Australia.

I think type=boundary and boundary=protected_area for the relations. Type=multipolygon is more for physical objects such as water, wood, etc.

JOSM uses different validation rules if you use type=boundary or type=multiploygon. So you'll get some non-applicable warnings if you tag a boundary=* with type=multipolygon.

On Mon, Dec 3, 2018 at 8:36 PM cleary <[hidden email]> wrote:

 I did not see  this data in CAPAD 2016

Have a look in the "Marine CAPAD 2016 SA summary" spreadsheet.

Re: SA Aquatic Reserves Import

Andrew Harvey-3
Thanks for all the feedback, since this is very small scale and the
feedback so far hasn't highlighted any issues I've done the initial
import.

I've continued to use type=boundary on the relations. I've omitted the
protect_class since it's not in the original data, but followed up
with a post-import edit to make them protect_class=6.

> Some time ago, I raised on the talk-au list  the question of protected areas not being rendered on the map and the outcome was that we would add "leisure=nature_reserve" to all protected areas (whether or not the areas are used for leisure) until such time as the rendering problem is sorted.

That makes sense. The rendering issue looks like it's making progress
https://github.com/gravitystorm/openstreetmap-carto/pull/3509 however
I've added leisure=nature_reserve until then.