Automatic generation of short_name / alt_name where missing and obvious

Automatic generation of short_name / alt_name where missing and obvious

Developer Discussion mailing list
Is there some existing code/library/tool for generating obvious
short_name / alt_name from other tagged data?

I am implementing it right now for one of my programs
and I would prefer help in existing project rather than implement yet another
version of the same.

Re: Automatic generation of short_name / alt_name where missing and obvious

Darafei "Komяpa" Praliaskouski
Hello,
For Russian, English, Ukraininan there is https://github.com/AMDmi3/streetmangler

On Sat, Nov 21, 2020 at 5:23 PM Mateusz Konieczny via dev <[hidden email]> wrote:
Is there some existing code/library/tool for generating obvious
short_name / alt_name from other tagged data?

I am implementing it right now for one of my programs
and I would prefer help in existing project rather than implement yet another
version of the same.

Darafei "Komяpa" Praliaskouski
OSM BY Team - http://openstreetmap.by/

OpenPGP_0x4721711092E282EA.asc (5K) Download Attachment

Re: Automatic generation of short_name / alt_name where missing and obvious

Tordanik
On 21.11.20 15:20, Mateusz Konieczny via dev wrote:
> Is there some existing code/library/tool for generating obvious
> short_name / alt_name from other tagged data?

Specifically for shortened names, this list of common abbreviations
could help: https://wiki.osm.org/Name_finder:Abbreviations

Re: Automatic generation of short_name / alt_name where missing and obvious

Developer Discussion mailing list
>> Is there some existing code/library/tool for generating obvious
>> short_name / alt_name from other tagged data?
>
> Specifically for shortened names, this list of common abbreviations
> could help: https://wiki.osm.org/Name_finder:Abbreviations

Thank you for the pointer. At least for German (and for French as far as
I can judge) please take it with a grain of salt:
- The by far fast common practices to shorten names are to resort to
KFZ-Kennzeichen (district codes), i.e. "K-Süd" is the short_name for
"Köln-Süd"
- In 95% of Germany (everywhere except Berlin), the abbreviaton of
"Bahnhof" is "Bf"
- the suffix "straße" resp. "Straße" is shortened to "str." resp.
"Str.", everything else is uncommon
- French street names are shortened by entirely removing the generic
parts, i.e. "Place Victor Hugo" has short_name "Victor Hugo"

I would not be surprised if the other languages have regional or
personal biases, too.

Cheers,
Roland

Re: Automatic generation of short_name / alt_name where missing and obvious

Developer Discussion mailing list
It is not a proposal for an automatic edit, it is intended as an opposite -
so I will be able to generate names locally and will have no need to add them
to OSM database.

and anyway that this thread would not be sufficient to cover this requirements

Nov 21, 2020, 17:02 by [hidden email]:

By definition if you can generate it mechanically, you shouldn't be adding it to OSM.

Am 21.11.2020 um 15:20 schrieb Mateusz Konieczny via dev:
Is there some existing code/library/tool for generating obvious
short_name / alt_name from other tagged data?

I am implementing it right now for one of my programs
and I would prefer help in existing project rather than implement yet another
version of the same.

Re: Automatic generation of short_name / alt_name where missing and obvious

andrzej zaborowski

On Sat, 21 Nov 2020 at 15:24, Mateusz Konieczny via dev
<[hidden email]> wrote:
> Is there some existing code/library/tool for generating obvious
> short_name / alt_name from other tagged data?

https://github.com/balrog-kun/shrtnms is a very basic version I've
been using at the osm2pgsql stage to add short names when not in the
data.  The renderer prefers name over short_name over shortest_name
(West Fulton Street -> W Fulton St -> Fulton)

Best regards

Re: Automatic generation of short_name / alt_name where missing and obvious

Sarah Hoffmann
On Sat, Nov 21, 2020 at 07:15:38PM +0100, Roland Olbricht via dev wrote:

> > > Is there some existing code/library/tool for generating obvious
> > > short_name / alt_name from other tagged data?
> >
> > Specifically for shortened names, this list of common abbreviations
> > could help: https://wiki.osm.org/Name_finder:Abbreviations
>
> Thank you for the pointer. At least for German (and for French as far as
> I can judge) please take it with a grain of salt:
> - The by far fast common practices to shorten names are to resort to
> KFZ-Kennzeichen (district codes), i.e. "K-Süd" is the short_name for
> "Köln-Süd"
> - In 95% of Germany (everywhere except Berlin), the abbreviaton of
> "Bahnhof" is "Bf"
> - the suffix "straße" resp. "Straße" is shortened to "str." resp.
> "Str.", everything else is uncommon
> - French street names are shortened by entirely removing the generic
> parts, i.e. "Place Victor Hugo" has short_name "Victor Hugo"

... unless they are shortened by removing the first name.
Read https://github.com/osm-search/Nominatim/issues/679 for a
couple of fun examples.

Three more libraries that collect lists of abbreviations:

https://github.com/openvenues/libpostal/tree/master/resources/dictionaries
https://github.com/OpenCageData/address-formatting/tree/master/conf/abbreviations
https://github.com/mapbox/geocoder-abbreviations

Kind regards