BBC License Violation?

Robert Banick
Hi All,

I was reading the below linked article on the BBC today and came across the map. It looks like they’re using OSM-derived internally displaced person (IDP) camp data without attribution.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/20039682

Based on what I’m reading in the relevant coordination channels it appears that HOT / Kathmandu Living Labs are one of the main sources for IDP damage. This is confirmed by the obvious square shape of the southern camps shown. The shape appears to align with bounds of HOT task #1008. http://tasks.hotosm.org/project/1008

Likely this is an honest mistake from a BBC reporter who sourced the derived data from the Nepali government. Nonetheless it’s a violation and should be fixed.

Is there anyone with BBC contacts who could try to have this sorted? I’ve written them through the generic Contact button but personal contacts are always quicker.

Best,
Robert

Sent from Mailbox

Re: BBC License Violation?

Pmailkeey .
Is that news article link still valid ?

On 1 May 2015 at 22:18, Robert Banick <[hidden email]> wrote:
[...]

Mike.
@millomweb - For all your info on Millom and South Copeland
via the area's premier website -

currently unavailable due to ongoing harassment of me, my family, property & pets

Re: BBC License Violation?

pierzen
They will have to pay an interview for this :)

Pierre

Re: BBC License Violation?

SimonPoole
Robert, the link doesn't seem to work (not just for me)

Simon

Re: BBC License Violation?

SomeoneElse-2
On 01/05/2015 22:18, Robert Banick wrote:
> Hi All,
>
> I was reading the below linked article on the BBC today and came
> across the map. It looks like they’re using OSM-derived internally
> displaced person (IDP) camp data without attribution.
>
> http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/20039682

Looks like that story's moved.  I just see "Contact BBC News online -
help, feedback and complaints".  Can you link to the current URL?

Cheers,

Andy

Re: BBC License Violation?

pierzen
same problem with me.

Pierre

De : Simon Poole <[hidden email]>
À : [hidden email]
Envoyé le : Vendredi 1 mai 2015 17h44
Objet : Re: [OSM-talk] BBC License Violation?

Robert, the link doesn't seem to work (not just for me)

Simon

Re: BBC License Violation?

Robert Banick

Sorry my internet cut out midway through writing the email and I got turned around finding the link. Im on my phone now and it's a bit clumsy to get the link, but Ii's the front page article on Nepal on the BBC World website.

Robert

Sent from Mailbox

On Fri, May 1, 2015 at 9:46 PM, SomeoneElse <[hidden email]> wrote:

On 01/05/2015 22:18, Robert Banick wrote:
> Hi All,
>
> I was reading the below linked article on the BBC today and came
> across the map. It looks like they’re using OSM-derived internally
> displaced person (IDP) camp data without attribution.
>
> http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/20039682

Looks like that story's moved. I just see "Contact BBC News online -
help, feedback and complaints". Can you link to the current URL?

Cheers,

Andy

Re: BBC License Violation?

Robert Banick
This: http://www.bbc.com/news/world-asia-32551499

Map at bottom

Sent from Mailbox

On Fri, May 1, 2015 at 9:50 PM, Pierre Béland <[hidden email]> wrote:

same problem with me.

Pierre

De : Simon Poole <[hidden email]>
À : [hidden email]
Envoyé le : Vendredi 1 mai 2015 17h44

Robert, the link doesn't seem to work (not just for me)

Simon

Re: BBC License Violation?

Pmailkeey .

On 1 May 2015 at 22:53, Robert Banick <[hidden email]> wrote:

Map at bottom

Not sure it's a BBC issue if they've had the image in good faith.

--
Mike.
@millomweb - For all your info on Millom and South Copeland
via the area's premier website -

currently unavailable due to ongoing harassment of me, my family, property & pets

Re: BBC License Violation?

SimonPoole

Correct link worked now.

I'm not aware that anybody in the LWG has a BBC contact, but Harry Wood
from the CWG (and HOT) should have one.

It is one of the cases were more benefit is likely to be had by getting
the BBC to do a piece on OpenStreetMap, KLL and the volunteers that are
supporting the aid efforts by remote mapping. Getting attribution in an
article that will be somewhere in the archives tomorrow doesn't really
help anybody, and will potentially just end in disagreement because the
provience of the data is likely difficult to actually trace, better
strategy to have BBC owe us one.

Simon

Re: BBC License Violation?

Imre Samu
> BBC

"IDP Camps Nepal April 29th 2015"
- IDP_Camps (2111)
- Production : 04/28/2015 to 04/29/2015
- Metadata IDP Camps Nepal April 29th 2015
- Licensing No license specified

and , maybe related :
"Nepal, OSM License, and the NGA"

Imre

De : Simon Poole <[hidden email]>
À : [hidden email]
Envoyé le : Vendredi 1 mai 2015 17h44

Robert, the link doesn't seem to work (not just for me)

Simon

Re: BBC License Violation?

pierzen
Harry could you assure that they interview KLL ? I agree with Simon. This would be the more beneficial for OSM.
regard

Pierre