BP service station import

ewmjc

Someone kindly updated the import catalogue page to suggest where the BP service station import came from.  I have followed it up and have permission to use as copied below. I will also put a copy up for public record. This, or something similar, was imported by a declined user who refused to say where it came from, so all the stations will go as well as subsequent modifications.

If anyone wants a go,  the (small) files can be found at http://www.bp.com/iframe.do?categoryId=9026935&contentId=7049357 and are in the format below.

Whether they *should* be imported again is another matter.  A couple of  locations could be checked against known points for accuracy. There will also be duplication, though that is fairly easy to fix bit by local mappers.

Mike

-----------------------------

"Site GPS Data - All states" file

NAME,X,Y
17 Mile Service Centre,131.02937000,-12.51528700
AA Bayswater,145.27024300,-37.83459700
AA Box Hill,145.11703800,-37.81705200
AA Box Hill South,145.12221200,-37.82860400

"Site Locations - All states" file

Name, LocationNo, Street, Town, State, Postcode, Phone, Unlead, PremiumUnlead, BPUltimate, E10, Diesel, Any_Autogas, Hours_24, Trailers, LPGBottle, Toilets, CarWash, CleanGo, SuperWash, Other, Pay, EFTPOS, GIFT_CARD, ATM, Restaurant, TruckStops, Express, BP_UltimateDiesel
17 Mile Service Centre,5354,Virginia Rd,Virginia,NT,0835,08 8983 1511,N,Y,N,N,Y,N,N,N,N,Y,N,N,N,N,N,Y,N,N,N,N,N,N
AA Bayswater,3015,362 - 366 Bayswater Rd,Bayswater,VIC,3153,03 9729 4574,Y,Y,Y,N,Y,Y,Y,N,Y,N,Y,Y,N,N,N,Y,Y,Y,N,N,N,N
AA Box Hill,3847,839 - 843 Whitehorse Rd,Box Hill,VIC,3128,03 9890 2086,Y,Y,Y,N,Y,Y,Y,Y,Y,Y,Y,Y,N,N,N,Y,Y,Y,N,N,N,N
AA Box Hill South,3828,891 Canterbury Rd,Box Hill,VIC,3128,03 9899 2152,Y,Y,Y,N,Y,Y,Y,N,Y,Y,N,N,N,N,N,Y,Y,Y,N,N,N,N

-----------------------------
Subject: RE: Contact Us Form -  OpenStreetMap
From: "Customer Service Centre, BP Australia" [hidden email]

Hi Michael,

Thank you for taking the time to contact BP.

This information is available for public use and we have no objection to its use in OpenStreetMap.

Kind regards,

Elena | Senior Customer Service Administrator - Enquiries| BP Customer Response
Phone 1300 1300 27 | Fax +61 3 9667 7714
www.bp.com.au

Re: BP service station import

John Berkers
Michael,

There also appears to be some information related to the location of Coles
Express (Shell) service stations on their web site at:

http://www.colesexpress.com.au/store-locator/gps-poi.aspx

There are data sets specifically formatted for use by Garmin, Navman and
Tom Tom devices, however, there is a general statement that the data can
be converted to support other formats.

Is it worth investigating the possibility of confirming that Coles Express
fits within their own terms of acceptable use, and investigate importing
their data also?

Regards,

John Berkers

<----snipped---->

On 16/01/2012 13:36, John Berkers wrote:

> Michael,
>
> There also appears to be some information related to the location of Coles
> Express (Shell) service stations on their web site at:
>
> http://www.colesexpress.com.au/store-locator/gps-poi.aspx
>
> There are data sets specifically formatted for use by Garmin, Navman and
> Tom Tom devices, however, there is a general statement that the data can
> be converted to support other formats.
>
> Is it worth investigating the possibility of confirming that Coles Express
> fits within their own terms of acceptable use, and investigate importing
> their data also?

Thanks John. Yes good idea, so I have just sent them a request and will
report back if I get a result.

I've also found the corresponding CalTex .csv file, (bottom of
http://www.caltex.com.au/HelpCentre/SiteLocator/Pages/FindAServiceStation.aspx
) and am contacting them now. Like the BP, it is probably in OSM already
but must be removed.

Mike

Re: BP service station import

Ian Sergeant-2
Can we do some pre-work prior to considering any new import?

Check if the dataset is really up-to-date and sufficiently accurate?
Check how many existing service stations are nearby, and consider not placing a new service station where there is a similar one there already?

Local mappers are going to have their work cut out for them, and won't want any unnecessary burden of sorting out dups, etc, at the moment.

Ian.

On 17 January 2012 04:10, Michael Collinson <[hidden email]> wrote:
[...]

SomeoneElse
Ian Sergeant wrote:
> Can we do some pre-work prior to considering any new import?
>
> Check if the dataset is really up-to-date and sufficiently accurate?
> Check how many existing service stations are nearby, and consider not
> placing a new service station where there is a similar one there already?

While driving across WA last year I found quite a few BP stations that
didn't seem to be anywhere near their OSM location.  Whether the data on
BP's website now is better than what was imported I've no idea, of course.

Cheers,
Andy

Re: BP service station import

Nick Hocking

My thoughts on petrol stations imports.

The first import had some really dodgy data. The first one I checked,
in my home town, was so far off from the actual position that you would
have run out of petrol just trying to find it.

What I'd really like to see is BP, Caltex, Shell etc take some
responsibility for their own data and manually check it and put in into
OSM themselves. This way they can keep it up to date and put in all the
information that they feel may give them a competitive advantage over the others.

In turn they would probably request the station owners/operators to
keep the OSM data up to date for them. This would be ideal.

Re: BP service station import

El Segundo Can't win
About 12-18 months ago  created a petrol station layer for work (for one state), starting with many of these BP, Shell datasets amongst others, as well as white pages data. The spatial accuracy was in many cases shocking, often being kilometres out. I think the worst was 30km. I aimed to get down to parcel level accuracy, and it took a long time, and I had a resources OSM can't use, such as the Geocoded National Address File (GNAF) and Google aerials and Streetview.

I was shocked that these large corporations didn't spend the money (not much in the scheme of things) to provide accurate datasets to the public. I got in touch with the provider who did the geocoding for BP, and fed my corrections back to them and with any luck they are incorporated. (Ha!)

The provider knew the geocoding was poor, partly because BP wouldn't spend the money to do it right, but even when they had street number and name, the licence for the GNAF wouldn't allow them to use it for geocoding in this instance. I forget why, it had been a recent change in the licence conditions.

In any case I endorse leaving this until after the licence change.