BT phoneboxes

Brian Prangle-2
Happy New Year everyone

BT are planning to remove thousands of phoneboxes, many of which we will have mapped.I understand that for every two they remove they will be installing one  InLink

These street "pods" have free wifi, free calls, free device charging  and  an information tablet: all financed by the inbuilt advertising screens.

In London and Leeds the rollout has already started and the next city to start is Birmingham

So how to tag this installation?  Has anyone mapped one yet?

The only online source for locations is based on Google Maps, so good for a guide as to where to look but not suitable as a data source. I have a contact in Business Development in BT and I have asked for a suitable source

Regards

Brian

Re: BT phoneboxes

Adam Snape
On 4 January 2018 at 17:26, Andrew Black <[hidden email]> wrote:
Do we know what a proportion are going to be left.  Is it going to be close to none.

Re: BT phoneboxes

Jez Nicholson
Going back to this January discussion, has anyone tagged a kiosk/pod yet? ....what would you tag it if it isn't a https://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Tag:amenity%3Dtelephone any more?

On Thu, Jan 4, 2018 at 11:56 PM Adam Snape <[hidden email]> wrote:
On 4 January 2018 at 17:26, Andrew Black <[hidden email]> wrote:
Do we know what a proportion are going to be left.  Is it going to be close to none.

Re: BT phoneboxes

Brian Prangle-2
Hi Jez

I've tagged a couple with amenity=telephone,  advertising=screen, wifi=free, device_charging=usb, operator=InLink BT

Regards

Brian

On Mon, 25 Feb 2019 at 09:48, Jez Nicholson <[hidden email]> wrote:
Going back to this January discussion, has anyone tagged a kiosk/pod yet? ....what would you tag it if it isn't a https://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Tag:amenity%3Dtelephone any more?

On Thu, Jan 4, 2018 at 11:56 PM Adam Snape <[hidden email]> wrote:
On 4 January 2018 at 17:26, Andrew Black <[hidden email]> wrote:
Do we know what a proportion are going to be left.  Is it going to be close to none.

Re: BT phoneboxes

Andy Townsend
On 25/02/2019 10:09, Brian Prangle wrote:
> I've tagged a couple with amenity=telephone, advertising=screen,
> wifi=free, device_charging=usb, operator=InLink BT

If those take off I'll try and add another telephone variant to
https://map.atownsend.org.uk/maps/map/map.html#zoom=17&lat=-25.005025&lon=135.17718
(not a "red box" one - some kind of variant of a standard phone).

I suspect the reason why they're not at
https://taginfo.openstreetmap.org.uk/tags/amenity=telephone#combinations
is that that only shows the most common combinations.

Best Regards,

Andy

Re: BT phoneboxes

Great Britain mailing list
Hi

disused:amenity=telephone

Many that have already been decommissioned are being reused:

Filled with flowers:
https://www.openstreetmap.org/node/5281048654.

Tagged similar to above for emergency=defibrillator & amenity=public_bookcase

Cheers
DaveF

On 25/02/2019 09:47, Jez Nicholson wrote:
Going back to this January discussion, has anyone tagged a kiosk/pod yet? ....what would you tag it if it isn't a https://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Tag:amenity%3Dtelephone any more?

On Thu, Jan 4, 2018 at 11:56 PM Adam Snape <[hidden email]> wrote:
On 4 January 2018 at 17:26, Andrew Black <[hidden email]> wrote:
Do we know what a proportion are going to be left.  Is it going to be close to none.

Re: BT phoneboxes

Andy Mabbett
On Wed, 3 Jan 2018 at 17:48, Brian Prangle <[hidden email]> wrote:

> BT are planning to remove thousands of phoneboxes, many of
> which we will have mapped.I understand that for every two they
> remove they will be installing one  InLink
>
> These street "pods" have free wifi, free calls, free device charging  and
> an information tablet: all financed by the inbuilt advertising screens.

There's some controversy about these InLink devices:

   https://www.adrianshort.org/posts/2019/bt-inlink-permitted-development/

and Adrian Short has compiled a list of related planning applications,
which may be useful for folk wanting to find examples to map:

   https://kiosks.adrianshort.org/

--
Andy Mabbett
@pigsonthewing

Re: BT phoneboxes

Brian Prangle-2
OSMUK chapter currently has a csv file of all the Inlink locations, supplied by Inlink but the licence is incompatible and we are currently in discussion with them. However perhaps Rober Whitaker might be able to produe a map similar to the one for Royal Mail  postboxes where the copyright is acknowledged and there is a heavy disclaimer that the map is a guide to locating items for a ground survey and the data mus not  be copied per se into OSM. BT were unwilling to supply either the locationsof the Inlink replacements or a schedule of closures of current phoneboxes

Regards

Brian

On Mon, 25 Feb 2019 at 16:48, Andy Mabbett <[hidden email]> wrote:
On Wed, 3 Jan 2018 at 17:48, Brian Prangle <[hidden email]> wrote:

> BT are planning to remove thousands of phoneboxes, many of
> which we will have mapped.I understand that for every two they
> remove they will be installing one  InLink
>
> These street "pods" have free wifi, free calls, free device charging  and
> an information tablet: all financed by the inbuilt advertising screens.

There's some controversy about these InLink devices:

   https://www.adrianshort.org/posts/2019/bt-inlink-permitted-development/

and Adrian Short has compiled a list of related planning applications,
which may be useful for folk wanting to find examples to map:

   https://kiosks.adrianshort.org/

--
Andy Mabbett
@pigsonthewing
http://pigsonthewing.org.uk

Re: BT phoneboxes

Robert Norris
> From: Jez Nicholson <[hidden email]>
> Going back to this January discussion, has anyone tagged a kiosk/pod yet? ....what would you tag it if it isn't a https://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Tag:amenity%3Dtelephone any more?

I tend to use either:

man_made=telephone_box typically for ones repurposed with defibrillators (emergency=defibrillator)
or
public_bookcase:type=phone_box for ones repurposed as small lending libraries (amenity=public_bookcase)

and then if confident about the phone box type then something like:
booth=K6 as mentioned on https://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Tag:amenity%3Dtelephone

--
Be Seeing You - Rob.
If at first you don't succeed,