Barriers and PRoWs

Bob Hawkins
I record all barriers - gate, kissing gate and stile - as I walk every PRoW (Public Right of Way) in the Oxfordshire Chilterns parish by parish.  I add them and prow_ref values in the form of "Checkendonh FP 12", for example, to OSM.  I discovered three cases on my walk in Ipsden last week where stiles had been replaced by kissing gates.  There are two large caveats regarding OSM, of course: 1. the completeness, or otherwise, of such information and 2. the currency of the information.  I have been labouring with how to improve this situation.  These are my thoughts: I wish to link the barrier node to the PRoW way on which it is situated.  My ability to construct queries in Overpass Turbo is extremely limited and to the Wizard only.  I can query barrier=stile, for example, but am at a loss when it comes to operators such as 'and'.  I should be most grateful for assistance in achieving the following:
1. to identify PRoWs having stiles, say
2. to invert and obtain PRoWs not having stiles
3. to obtain such results for an individual civil parish, either by selecting those ways within an admin level 10 boundary named "Checkendon", say, or selecting those PRoWs whose prow_ref value contains "Checkendon"
4. to be able to export such results to a tabular form
How much is achievable in Overpass Turbo, or what is required in addition?
Please note: I use JOSM always as my editor.
Information like this would allow me to know where to concentrate my checks.  Chiltern Society representatives lead me to understand such information would be useful for its own purposes and I should be pleased to do all I can to help.

Re: Barriers and PRoWs

Andy Townsend
On 10/10/2017 08:59, Bob Hawkins wrote:
I record all barriers - gate, kissing gate and stile - as I walk every PRoW (Public Right of Way) in the Oxfordshire Chilterns parish by parish.  I add them and prow_ref values in the form of "Checkendonh FP 12", for example, to OSM.
I'll leave the Overpass question to someone else, but if you want to see e.g. kissing gates on a map you could try https://map.atownsend.org.uk/maps/map/map.html#zoom=16&lat=51.54924&lon=-1.05203 .

Best Regards,

Andy

Re: Barriers and PRoWs

Bob Hawkins
Andy
I thank you for your prompt reply; that is useful to know and I shall bookmark your link.  It is pleasing to see my PRoW references being put to good use alongside the ways, too.

Re: Barriers and PRoWs

Roland Olbricht

> I should be most grateful for assistance in achieving the following
 > 3. to obtain such results for an individual civil parish, either by
 > selecting those ways within an admin level 10 boundary named
 > "Checkendon", say, or selecting those PRoWs whose prow_ref value
 > contains "Checkendon"

For the sake of simplicity, all the follwoing examples are based on the
area spanned by teh object tagged with name="Checkendon" and
admin_levlel=10. Feel free to play with the values - what the link
points at is not changed by editing the query.

https://overpass-turbo.eu/s/sh7

https://overpass-turbo.eu/s/sh8

> 4. to be able to export such results to a tabular form

I'm not sure which columns such a table should have. I have made an
example where way id, value of prow_ref, and if barriers are present are
columns:
https://overpass-turbo.eu/s/sh9

Best regards,

Roland

Re: Barriers and PRoWs

Bob Hawkins
I thank Roland so much for taking the time to read my message and provide examples; I am indebted to him.
Might I request just one enhancement:  could the barrier locations be shown on the ways to which they relate in the case of > 1. to identify PRoWs having stiles?  I fully accept I did not request that, specifically.

Re: Barriers and PRoWs

Roland Olbricht
Hi Bob,

I'm sorry or the late answer. I'm currently not at home. Thus, I'm
reading emails less frequent.

> could the barrier locations be
> shown on the ways to which they relate in the case of /> 1. to identify
> PRoWs having stiles/?

Yes, that is a useful idea. I suggest
http://overpass-turbo.eu/s/smx

There is essentially an extra output command.

Best regards,

Roland