Beaches as a polygon

nwillink
Hi

I noticed that the default style only renders Beaches as a point not a
polygon.

Beaches as a polygon  may be unimportant to many but I feel that without
them maps are very misleading and incomplete -

see picture

http://files.mkgmap.org.uk/download/437/beach.jpg

 (left default style , right with beach)

Garmin deems them important as they are included as an option in their kmtf
files for their City Navigator maps and nuvis etc.

Given the fact that only a very limited number of polygons are used in a
kmtf file, the beach inclusion seems quite significant.

They use 0x10C06 in City Navigator.

Just a suggestion

r.

Nick

Re: Beaches as a polygon

ligfietser
Hi Nick,
Remarkable that this have not been noticed already!
I would suggest polygon type 0x53, typ viewer shows this as is the non NT version of 0x10C06 (if that matters). And please add natural=sand.
natural=beach | natural=sand [0x53 resolution 20]

Re: Beaches as a polygon

nwillink

Hi Minko

Yes, 0x53 sounds good ; I have 53 down as 'flat , mud "

Nick

On 27/09/2018 09:05, lig fietser wrote:
Hi Nick,
Remarkable that this have not been noticed already!
I would suggest polygon type 0x53, typ viewer shows this as is the non NT version of 0x10C06 (if that matters). And please add natural=sand.
natural=beach | natural=sand [0x53 resolution 20]

Re: Beaches as a polygon

Gerd Petermann
Hi all,

thanks for the input. I'll try this change tomorrow and if I find no problems I'll commit it.

Gerd

________________________________

Re: Beaches as a polygon

Gerd Petermann
Hi,

I tried the rule
natural=beach | natural=sand [0x53 resolution 20]
without any typ file and I think the result looks worse compared to a map without those polygons,
at least in Basecamp and Mapsource.
I assume you tested with a typ file?

Gerd

thanks for the input. I'll try this change tomorrow and if I find no problems I'll commit it.

Gerd

Re: Beaches as a polygon

ligfietser
What did you expect? Of course a typ file is needed to make that map look a little bit better.
Without a typ file the garmin default map is a disaster, sorry to say this. It's better to include a polygon that matters than leaving it out because the layout sucks. Otherwise we better not render forests etc as well.

thanks for the input. I'll try this change tomorrow and if I find no problems I'll commit it.

Gerd

Re: Beaches as a polygon

Gerd Petermann
Hmm, of course the map looks better with a nice typ file, but up to now mkgmap comes without one.
We could also render other natural values like heath, grassland etc. to improve the map, but we don't. I think the reason is again that we don't have a typ file.

So, what is the reason that there is no TYP file in the package?
My own graphical abilities are very limited :-(

Gerd

What did you expect? Of course a typ file is needed to make that map look a little bit better.
Without a typ file the garmin default map is a disaster, sorry to say this. It's better to include a polygon that matters than leaving it out because the layout sucks. Otherwise we better not render forests etc as well.

________________________________

thanks for the input. I'll try this change tomorrow and if I find no problems I'll commit it.

Gerd

Re: Beaches as a polygon

ligfietser

Hi Gerd
For a number of reasons, the main reason is that up to now nobody has time to maintain this 🙁
It is also a very  complicated because there are always folks who don't like the map style.
And garmin devices don't render it consistently and there are differences in rendering between the garmin units vs mapsource/basecamp. I have read that someone on this list (I don't have a link at the moment) who has developed the "mapnik/osm carto style"  for the default map further than I have done in the past for Lambertus' garmin maps. Maybe he is willing to share this for the default mkgmap style?

What did you expect? Of course a typ file is needed to make that map look a little bit better.
Without a typ file the garmin default map is a disaster, sorry to say this. It's better to include a polygon that matters than leaving it out because the layout sucks. Otherwise we better not render forests etc as well.

________________________________

thanks for the input. I'll try this change tomorrow and if I find no problems I'll commit it.

Gerd

Re: Beaches as a polygon

Joris Bo

Hello

That default typ-file was me

I volunteer in maintaining a default typ for mkgmap

For now I made my own style + typ which is an nearly exact copy of mapnik up to today

(whatever they render I do as well without implementing personal interests)

https://github.com/Jorisbo/Mkgmap-Mapnik-Style-Garmin

if follow up: https://github.com/gravitystorm/openstreetmap-carto/blob/master/CHANGELOG.md

I also have a typ file for ‘lambertus style’ (which needs an color update on some icons)

I can make one for what’s called the mkgmap default style?

Let me know if it’s worth the effort and what kind of conditions you think of

Example of the basecamp result

https://www.openstreetmap.org/#map=18/47.84824/12.47578

[...]

popej
Hi Joris,

 > I volunteer in maintaining a default typ for mkgmap

This is very interesting, thanks!

I think you should clearly state the license for your work. Especially
because it include graphics art, which is quite heavy topic, when
dealing with copyrights.

--
Best regards,
Andrzej

Re: Beaches as a polygon

Joris Bo
Hello Andrzej,

From which perspective are you talking?

For me personal  drawing simple single collored 16 x16 bitmap pixel icons is free for the community. Don't need my name on them, so no need of copyrights from that perspective.

But if they are obvious look a likes of openstreetmap-carto  of course it should not be against their rules. As for as I can see it states that its freely distributable as long as you mention them .

Link to openstreetmap carto on github
https://github.com/gravitystorm/openstreetmap-carto)
Link to their license page
https://github.com/gravitystorm/openstreetmap-carto/blob/master/LICENSE.txt
Link to openstreetmap license statement
http://opendatacommons.org/licenses/odbl/

Gr Joris

 > I volunteer in maintaining a default typ for mkgmap

This is very interesting, thanks!

I think you should clearly state the license for your work. Especially because it include graphics art, which is quite heavy topic, when dealing with copyrights.

--
Best regards,
Andrzej

Re: Beaches as a polygon

Gerd Petermann
Hi Joris,

thanks a lot for this offer. I'd like to see a default typ file in the mkgmap source tree.
I have no clear idea about the design. Looking at the existing typ files I guess that we will not find a solution that is accepted by everybody ;-)
Reg. licence: I think all we need is a comment in the txt file that states the copyright, presuming that your file doesn't violate the copyrights of others.

I have no idea how to proceed now. My suggestion: Create a first version and I'll include it in a new mkgmap branch.
Maybe I add some program logic to include the default typ file if apropriate...

Gerd

 > I volunteer in maintaining a default typ for mkgmap

This is very interesting, thanks!

I think you should clearly state the license for your work. Especially because it include graphics art, which is quite heavy topic, when dealing with copyrights.

--
Best regards,
Andrzej

Re: Beaches as a polygon

popej
Hi Joris,

 >From which perspective are you talking?

Well, from my perspective. I would consider your typ for maps, that I
publish, but I wont, unless you provide a clear license.

 > For me personal  drawing simple single collored 16 x16 bitmap pixel
 > icons is free for the community.

I understand, but creativity of a content doesn't depend on picture
size. Typ file defines a "look and feel" of a map and usually this is
the main part of a copyright for a map. So for me a license to use a typ
file looks like a necessity.

Currently I base my typ file on following resources:
https://code.google.com/archive/p/mkgmap-style-sheets/
http://www.sjjb.co.uk/mapicons/

Please note, that both sites states, how I'm allowed to use their work.

--
Best regards,
Andrzej