Best process for data imports?

Charlotte Wolter
Folks,

        I have acess to some road data in the form of a "shape file."  It is over a fairly large area in Arizona and New Mexico. What is the best and safest way to go about bringing this data into OSM?
        I do not have experience with this type of data (e.g., shape files).

Charlotte

Charlotte Wolter
927 18th Street Suite A
Santa Monica, California
90403
+1-310-597-4040
[hidden email]

The Four Internet Freedoms
Freedom to know all the terms of a service, particularly any that would affect the first three freedoms.

Re: Best process for data imports?

Kate Chapman-2
Charlotte,

I would suggest talking to people on the imports list (I am posting this to there as well).  Shapefiles are a pretty common type of file for geographic data.

Also what is the license of the data?  Is the license for the data compatible with OSM? Here are the import guidelines: http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Import/Guidelines

 Since there is already road TIGER data and people have probably made edits to it the process is going to take some manual work.  I would recommend it being broken up into areas and having people manually compare data.

Kate Chapman
user: wonderchook

On Sat, Dec 19, 2009 at 1:52 PM, Charlotte Wolter <[hidden email]> wrote:
Folks,

        I have acess to some road data in the form of a "shape file."  It is over a fairly large area in Arizona and New Mexico. What is the best and safest way to go about bringing this data into OSM?
        I do not have experience with this type of data (e.g., shape files).

Charlotte

Charlotte Wolter
927 18th Street Suite A
Santa Monica, California
90403
+1-310-597-4040
[hidden email]

The Four Internet Freedoms
Freedom to know all the terms of a service, particularly any that would affect the first three freedoms.

Re: Best process for data imports?

Serge Wroclawski-2
On Sat, Dec 19, 2009 at 2:23 PM, Kate Chapman <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Also what is the license of the data?  Is the license for the data
> compatible with OSM? Here are the import guidelines:
> http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Import/Guidelines

This can't be emphasized enough- without the license for this data
being explicitly allowed in OSM, importing data into the project can
cause huge problems down the line.

Imports are awesome and in DC a bunch of us are involved in them, but
they need to be done very carefully, especially in regards to the
license.

- Serge

Re: Best process for data imports?

Charlotte Wolter

        This is data from the Navajo Division of Transportation. There is no mention of copyright in their published material, but I am checking with the head of the division. I will send him the license information and make sure it is OK before going any further.
        Also, I have been correcting some of the Tiger data manually in places on the reservation where I know the roads.  The Yahoo images are helpful, but, although they are better than Tiger, they, too, can be out of date.  It's tedious, so even if some of my work gets wiped out, I probably could live with it.
        What are common ways to break up data? Do you usually do it by latitude and longitude? (Which brings up another question: Why doesn't Potlatch show latitude and longitude, a la Google Earth? It would be helpful.)

--C

At 11:23 AM 12/19/2009, you wrote:
[...]

Partnership Assistant
U.S. Census