Big Blue Button download

Martijn van Exel-3
Hi,
I recorded a video on the OSMF big blue button server. I think OSMF asked to download and delete as quickly as possible to save on storage plan costs, but I may be misremembering. Regardless, I don't know how to download my own video, can someone explain how that works please?
Many thanks!
--
  Martijn van Exel

Re: Big Blue Button download

ebel
Hi Martijn,

Great to see people using the BBB server. We didn't ask to delete anything, the video is still there (I sent you the link off-list). When you view the Room in BBB, you should see “Room Recordings” underneath, which should have the recordings, do you see that? Then click on “Presentation”, and you should be able to watch the video in your browser.

In Firefox I can right click on a video and “Save Video As…”, which should allow you to download the video. Does that work?

Rory

On Wed, 16 Sep 2020, at 4:16 AM, Martijn van Exel wrote:

> Hi,
> I recorded a video on the OSMF big blue button server. I think OSMF
> asked to download and delete as quickly as possible to save on storage
> plan costs, but I may be misremembering. Regardless, I don't know how
> to download my own video, can someone explain how that works please?
> Many thanks!
> --
>   Martijn van Exel
>   [hidden email]

Re: Big Blue Button download

Clifford Snow

On Thu, Sep 17, 2020 at 10:50 AM Rory McCann <[hidden email]> wrote:
Great to see people using the BBB server. We didn't ask to delete anything, the video is still there (I sent you the link off-list). When you view the Room in BBB, you should see “Room Recordings” underneath, which should have the recordings, do you see that? Then click on “Presentation”, and you should be able to watch the video in your browser.

We were advised by Dorthea that recordings are not meant to be stored on the server.
* Please note that recordings are not meant to be stored on the server for a long
time, due to space restrictions.

Can you confirm that we can leave the recordings on the server and are able to link to the recordings for other sites, like the wiki?

Best,
Clifford

--
@osm_washington
OpenStreetMap: Maps with a human touch

Re: Big Blue Button download

ebel
On Thu, 17 Sep 2020, at 8:21 PM, Clifford Snow wrote:
> Can you confirm that we can leave the recordings on the server and are
> able to link to the recordings for other sites, like the wiki?

No, you can't rely on it like that. We only have limited storage space. Alas, we cannot offer a video hosting service like this. You should use a proper service for that.

I merely said that AFAIK, *these* videos hadn't been explicitly deleted.

Re: Big Blue Button download

Paul Johnson-3
On Thu, Sep 17, 2020 at 1:41 PM Rory McCann <[hidden email]> wrote:
On Thu, 17 Sep 2020, at 8:21 PM, Clifford Snow wrote:
> Can you confirm that we can leave the recordings on the server and are
> able to link to the recordings for other sites, like the wiki?

No, you can't rely on it like that. We only have limited storage space. Alas, we cannot offer a video hosting service like this. You should use a proper service for that.

I merely said that AFAIK, *these* videos hadn't been explicitly deleted.

Isn't the default in BBB for it to automatically delete recordings after two weeks?

Re: Big Blue Button download

Martijn van Exel-3
Thanks for the responses! I wasn't going to rely on BBB for long term availability, which is why I wanted to download the video. I use archive.org to make the videos available longer term.
Martijn

On Sep 17, 2020 12:38, Rory McCann <[hidden email]> wrote:

On Thu, 17 Sep 2020, at 8:21 PM, Clifford Snow wrote:
> Can you confirm that we can leave the recordings on the server and are
> able to link to the recordings for other sites, like the wiki?

No, you can't rely on it like that. We only have limited storage space. Alas, we cannot offer a video hosting service like this. You should use a proper service for that.

I merely said that AFAIK, *these* videos hadn't been explicitly deleted.

Re: Big Blue Button download

Martijn van Exel-3
I was able to download the video(s). There's actually two of them, a separate video for the screenshare and one for the webcam which has the audio. In order for me to upload these as one integrated video to archive.org, I will need to post-process the video, mixing the sound and webcam stream with the screenshare, to get a result that is something like https://archive.org/details/maproulette-create-a-challenge-geojson. I assume there was similar post-processing involved for the SOTM videos? If you want to do this type of video regularly, that becomes a bit of a hassle, although of course not impossible.
I use Open Broadcasting Studio to compose the 'scene' you can see in the archive.org video. It lets you record and stream at the same time. Using only the recording function, I think a good solution would be to use BBB for the 'live' event but let OBS record in the background so I have something ready to upload for long-term availability elsewhere. Anyone with a better idea? I'm fairly new at this.
--
  Martijn van Exel

On Thu, Sep 17, 2020, at 13:13, Martijn van Exel wrote:
Thanks for the responses! I wasn't going to rely on BBB for long term availability, which is why I wanted to download the video. I use archive.org to make the videos available longer term.
Martijn

On Sep 17, 2020 12:38, Rory McCann <[hidden email]> wrote:

On Thu, 17 Sep 2020, at 8:21 PM, Clifford Snow wrote:
> Can you confirm that we can leave the recordings on the server and are
> able to link to the recordings for other sites, like the wiki?

No, you can't rely on it like that. We only have limited storage space. Alas, we cannot offer a video hosting service like this. You should use a proper service for that.

I merely said that AFAIK, *these* videos hadn't been explicitly deleted.

Re: Big Blue Button download

Naveen Francis
Hello Rory,

Can you please see if the video for Aug 8, 2020- 9-10 pm IST is there ?

We will move the videos to our youtube channel .

thanks,
naveenpf

On Thu, Sep 17, 2020 at 11:24 PM Rory McCann <[hidden email]> wrote:
Hi Martijn,

Great to see people using the BBB server. We didn't ask to delete anything, the video is still there (I sent you the link off-list). When you view the Room in BBB, you should see “Room Recordings” underneath, which should have the recordings, do you see that? Then click on “Presentation”, and you should be able to watch the video in your browser.

In Firefox I can right click on a video and “Save Video As…”, which should allow you to download the video. Does that work?

Rory

On Wed, 16 Sep 2020, at 4:16 AM, Martijn van Exel wrote:
> Hi,
> I recorded a video on the OSMF big blue button server. I think OSMF
> asked to download and delete as quickly as possible to save on storage
> plan costs, but I may be misremembering. Regardless, I don't know how
> to download my own video, can someone explain how that works please?
> Many thanks!
> --
>   Martijn van Exel
>   [hidden email]

Re: Big Blue Button download

ebel
Sorry there's nothing from Aug 8th ± a few days.

Did you try to record it on our BBB? or from yourself? By default the server isn't going to record anything server side.