Bounding box not in iD Editor anymore

Orla McManus

Hi everyone,

I am unable to see the square bounding box in iD Editor when I lock and open a task/grid square e.g. http://tasks.hotosm.org/project/2477#task/58. My understanding is that this bounding box enables the digitiser to ensure that they are working only in their grid square so that they can mark it as done in the Tasking Manager.

Has this been removed with a recent update of iD Editor? Will this functionality be added again?

We have a mapathon organised for Wednesday with all beginners and it will be much more difficult to coordinate our progress without this bounding box in iD Editor.

Thanks very much,

Orla

Re: Bounding box not in iD Editor anymore

Bryan Housel
That does look like a bug!   I will try to get a fix merged in by your event Wednesday…

On Feb 5, 2017, at 2:41 PM, Orla McManus <[hidden email]> wrote:

Hi everyone,

I am unable to see the square bounding box in iD Editor when I lock and open a task/grid square e.g.http://tasks.hotosm.org/project/2477#task/58. My understanding is that this bounding box enables the digitiser to ensure that they are working only in their grid square so that they can mark it as done in the Tasking Manager.

Has this been removed with a recent update of iD Editor? Will this functionality be added again?

We have a mapathon organised for Wednesday with all beginners and it will be much more difficult to coordinate our progress without this bounding box in iD Editor.

Thanks very much,
Orla

This message has been scanned for malware by Websense.  www.websense.com

Re: Bounding box not in iD Editor anymore

Rebecca Firth
Hi,

Just to add in on this one, there are quite a lot of mapathons going on over the next few days, including a group of students in Botswana mapping from today for the next two weeks.

@Bryan - I had noticed over the past few months that sometimes the pink box didn't load immediately when you loaded a square, and you needed to wait quite a while or reload the square to see it. Not sure if others had seen the same.

Thanks,

Rebecca

On Sun, Feb 5, 2017 at 10:43 PM, Bryan Housel <[hidden email]> wrote:
[...]

Community Partnerships Manager
@RebeccaFirthy
Skype: rebeccafirth

Humanitarian OpenStreetMap Team
Using OpenStreetMap for Humanitarian Response & Economic Development

Re: Bounding box not in iD Editor anymore

Donal Hunt
Can confirm. Have noticed that the bounding box doesn't always display. Usually closing the tab and relaunching 1-2 times results in it appearing.
If logs / javascript console output is useful for tracking down the issue, let me know and I'll share. :)

d.

On 6 February 2017 at 08:09, Rebecca Firth <[hidden email]> wrote:
[...]

Nick Allen-2

Hi,

A quick but dirty workaround

1. Load task in iD

2. return to Task on TM, go back to 'edit with' and select JOSM

3. You will get an error message about JOSM remote control, but it will give you access to a section of the JOSM menu

4. From the section that reads "Tip: Download the following .gpx file and load it in JOSM in order to see the current task boundary" right click on ".gpx file" and select "Save link as" - I put mine in my downloads folder.

4. Back to the iD tab in your browser, and have file manager open as well - drag & drop the downloaded .gpx file onto the window of ID -- then wait...

5. If all goes well you now have the square on your iD screen. It took a while to load on my setup & a message about waiting or closing appeared - but it has loaded each time I've tried.

I'll try to put together a quick howto with images on LearnOSM and make it downloadable. Feedback as to whether this works for everyone would be appreciated in case I have to make amendments.

Regards

Nick
(Tallguy)

On 06/02/17 11:36, Donal Hunt wrote:
[...]

Jan Martinec
Hello,

Indeed, loading the task border takes a long time, and sometimes even times out without a result - in iD and in JOSM as well.

Apparently there's a performance problem at the server running the Tasking Manager, which seems to be related to this.

It seems there are attempts to resolve this (the "Task Manager slowness" thread), but so far I have seen temporary speedups followed by relapse.

Best regards,
Jan "Piskvor" Martinec

Dne 6. 2. 2017 9:34 napsal uživatel "Rebecca Firth" <[hidden email]>:
[...]

Hi Nick,

This works for me. A quick How to would be great!

Thanks very much,

Orla

[...]

web | twitter | facebook | donate

[...]

Missing Maps Project Coordinator
+44 7921 781 518

missingmaps.org

Re: Bounding box not in iD Editor anymore

Blake Girardot HOT/OSM
Hi Nick!

Your work around is great and working for people! Thank you very much!

Pierre Giraud, just put a hotfix on the Tasking Manager to make your
solution easier. This is live now.

The link to the .gpx file now shows up on the iD Editor menu
selection, you do not need to try josm and have it fail. Just go back
to the page and dowload the .gpx file from the iD Editor selected
dialog.

A screenshot is attached to make it more clear.

Thank you again Nick and Pierre!

Respectfully,
Blake

On Mon, Feb 6, 2017 at 7:02 AM, Nick Allen <[hidden email]> wrote:

> [...]
>>> they are working only in their grid square so that they can mark it as done
>>> in the Tasking Manager.
>>>
>>> Has this been removed with a recent update of iD Editor? Will this
>>> functionality be added again?
>>>
>>> We have a mapathon organised for Wednesday with all beginners and it will
>>> be much more difficult to coordinate our progress without this bounding box
>>> in iD Editor.
>>>
>>> Thanks very much,
>>> Orla
>>>

>>> This message has been scanned for malware by Websense.  www.websense.com

>> --
>> Rebecca Firth
>> Community Partnerships Manager
>> [hidden email]
>> @RebeccaFirthy
>> Skype: rebeccafirth
>>
>> Humanitarian OpenStreetMap Team
>> Using OpenStreetMap for Humanitarian Response & Economic Development

Blake Girardot
Humanitarian OpenStreetMap Team, TM3 Project Manager
skype: jblakegirardot
HOT Core Team Contact: [hidden email]
Live OSM Mapper-Support channel - https://hotosm-slack.herokuapp.com/
BE A PART OF HOT'S MICRO GRANTS: https://donate.hotosm.org/

2017-02-06_09h00_50.png (49K) Download Attachment

Re: Bounding box not in iD Editor anymore

Rebecca Firth
Hi All,

Re-kindling this thread as another mapper and myself appear to be experiencing the bounding box issue again (in Safari and Chrome) across a few different tasks.

Re-pasting the workaround instructions from before for anyone mapping presently:

  1. Load task in iD
  2. Return to Task on TM, go back to 'edit with' and select JOSM
  3. You will get an error message about JOSM remote control, but it will give you access to a section of the JOSM menu
  4. From the section that reads "Tip: Download the following .gpx file and load it in JOSM in order to see the current task boundary" right click on ".gpx file" and select "Save link as" - I put mine in my downloads folder.
  5. Back to the iD tab in your browser, and have file manager open as well - drag & drop the downloaded .gpx file onto the window of ID -- then wait...
  6. If all goes well you now have the square on your iD screen. It took a while to load on my setup & a message about waiting or closing appeared - but it has loaded each time I've tried.

Thanks,

Rebecca

On Mon, Feb 6, 2017 at 9:06 AM, Blake Girardot HOT/OSM <[hidden email]> wrote:
> [...]

>> [hidden email]
>> @RebeccaFirthy
>> Skype: rebeccafirth
>>
>> Humanitarian OpenStreetMap Team
>> Using OpenStreetMap for Humanitarian Response & Economic Development
>> web | twitter | facebook | donate

Blake Girardot
Humanitarian OpenStreetMap Team, TM3 Project Manager
skype: jblakegirardot
HOT Core Team Contact: [hidden email]
Live OSM Mapper-Support channel - https://hotosm-slack.herokuapp.com/
BE A PART OF HOT'S MICRO GRANTS: https://donate.hotosm.org/

--
Rebecca Firth
Community Partnerships Manager
@RebeccaFirthy
Skype: rebeccafirth

Humanitarian OpenStreetMap Team
Using OpenStreetMap for Humanitarian Response & Economic Development

Re: Bounding box not in iD Editor anymore

Mike Thompson
We held a mapathon yesterday evening (5pm - 7pm US MST) with about 60 people in attendance.  None of the participants ever got the purple box  bounding box in iD, despite multiple attempts. I see it is now working.  Was there a problem yesterday that has subsequently been fixed?

Mike

On Mon, Feb 27, 2017 at 2:38 PM, Rebecca Firth <[hidden email]> wrote:
> [...]

>> [hidden email]
>> @RebeccaFirthy
>> Skype: rebeccafirth
>>
>> Humanitarian OpenStreetMap Team
>> Using OpenStreetMap for Humanitarian Response & Economic Development
>> web | twitter | facebook | donate

Blake Girardot
Humanitarian OpenStreetMap Team, TM3 Project Manager
skype: jblakegirardot
HOT Core Team Contact: [hidden email]
Live OSM Mapper-Support channel - https://hotosm-slack.herokuapp.com/
BE A PART OF HOT'S MICRO GRANTS: https://donate.hotosm.org/

--
Rebecca Firth
Community Partnerships Manager
@RebeccaFirthy
Skype: rebeccafirth

Humanitarian OpenStreetMap Team
Using OpenStreetMap for Humanitarian Response & Economic Development

Re: Bounding box not in iD Editor anymore

HI Mike,

First off, our apologies for this issue. I can not really imagine the
difficulty of running a mapathon with this issue going on.

It has been very difficult for us to resolve, but Nate, David, Pierre,
Ethan and myself have really been focused on it since the problem
appeared a few days ago. It took all of us (well, all of them, I was
mostly just panicking the whole time) to track down the issue and then
develop and test the fixes, which are a mix of Tasking Manager code
changes and configuration changes to multiple parts of our web server
software.

We have figured out the fixes earlier today, but it is, pretty
complicated, and time consuming to deploy on our production server and
we were not able to accomplish it today because David is travelling
this evening.

Honestly, it is just a symptom of the difficult nature of the problem
that you are now getting the purple task square again. We have made no
changes to our production server. Different browsers handle the
underlying problem (technically called a "mixed-content" issue)
differently. Aside from maybe a different browser, or different
browser version, or a different OS, I am not sure why you are getting
the purple square now.

Sometime tomorrow at the latest David and Nate will be able to roll
the fixes to our software and systems out to our main production
Tasking Manager server and then everyone should start getting the
purple task square in iD again.

Nate Smith, David Neudorfer, Pierre Giraud and Ethan Smith are among
the very best at what they do and we are lucky to have them working
and volunteering for HOT.

Again, our apologies for the problem, it has been our top priority to
get fixed this week.

Respectfully,
Blake

On Fri, Mar 3, 2017 at 9:36 PM, Mike Thompson <[hidden email]> wrote:

> [...]
>>> HOT Core Team Contact: [hidden email]
>>> Live OSM Mapper-Support channel - https://hotosm-slack.herokuapp.com/
>>> BE A PART OF HOT'S MICRO GRANTS: https://donate.hotosm.org/
>>

>> --
>> Rebecca Firth
>> Community Partnerships Manager
>> [hidden email]
>> @RebeccaFirthy
>> Skype: rebeccafirth
>>
>> Humanitarian OpenStreetMap Team
>> Using OpenStreetMap for Humanitarian Response & Economic Development
>> web | twitter | facebook | donate

Blake Girardot
Humanitarian OpenStreetMap Team, TM3 Project Manager
skype: jblakegirardot
HOT Core Team Contact: [hidden email]
Live OSM Mapper-Support channel - https://hotosm-slack.herokuapp.com/
BE A PART OF HOT'S MICRO GRANTS: https://donate.hotosm.org/

Re: Bounding box not in iD Editor anymore

Appreciate all the hard work going into getting this fixed - thank you very much, especially to David who was meant to have been enjoying some time off.

Luckily there is a workaround which means iD mapping is still possible! I hasten to add, it wasn't figured out by me. If you're mapping this weekend, you can use this:
  1. Load task in iD
  2. Return to Task on TM, go back to 'edit with' and select JOSM
  3. You will get an error message about JOSM remote control, but it will give you access to a section of the JOSM menu
  4. From the section that reads "Tip: Download the following .gpx file and load it in JOSM in order to see the current task boundary" right click on ".gpx file" and select "Save link as" - I put mine in my downloads folder.
  5. Back to the iD tab in your browser, and have file manager open as well - drag & drop the downloaded .gpx file onto the window of ID -- then wait...
  6. If all goes well you now have the square on your iD screen. It took a while to load on my setup & a message about waiting or closing appeared - but it has loaded each time I've tried.
Thanks, and if you have any questions send them through to [hidden email].

Rebecca

On Fri, Mar 3, 2017 at 5:15 PM, Blake Girardot HOT/OSM <[hidden email]> wrote:
> [...]

>> Community Partnerships Manager
>> [hidden email]
>> @RebeccaFirthy
>> Skype: rebeccafirth
>>
>> Humanitarian OpenStreetMap Team
>> Using OpenStreetMap for Humanitarian Response & Economic Development
>> web | twitter | facebook | donate

Blake Girardot
Humanitarian OpenStreetMap Team, TM3 Project Manager
skype: jblakegirardot
HOT Core Team Contact: [hidden email]
Live OSM Mapper-Support channel - https://hotosm-slack.herokuapp.com/
BE A PART OF HOT'S MICRO GRANTS: https://donate.hotosm.org/

Rebecca Firth
Community Partnerships Manager
@RebeccaFirthy
Skype: rebeccafirth

Humanitarian OpenStreetMap Team
Using OpenStreetMap for Humanitarian Response & Economic Development

Re: Bounding box not in iD Editor anymore

Blake,

Thanks for your reply and explanation of the situation, and thanks to everyone who is working on getting the fix deployed. I thought the problem might have something to do with the fact there were so many of us hitting the wifi at our venue, and hence causing the content request for the bounding box from the other website to timeout.

I wonder if iD might be changed in the future to optionally accept four parameters (minx, miny, maxx, maxy) and use those to generate the bounding box (or better yet hatch out the area outside the bbox like JOSM) internally, rather than having to pull the information from another site.

Rebecca,

Thanks for the work around!  I keep that handy in case this happens again.

Mike

On Fri, Mar 3, 2017 at 3:15 PM, Blake Girardot HOT/OSM <[hidden email]> wrote:
> [...]

>>> HOT Core Team Contact: [hidden email]
>>> Live OSM Mapper-Support channel - https://hotosm-slack.herokuapp.com/
>>> BE A PART OF HOT'S MICRO GRANTS: https://donate.hotosm.org/
>>

>> --
>> Rebecca Firth
>> Community Partnerships Manager
>> [hidden email]
>> @RebeccaFirthy
>> Skype: rebeccafirth
>>
>> Humanitarian OpenStreetMap Team
>> Using OpenStreetMap for Humanitarian Response & Economic Development
>> web | twitter | facebook | donate

Blake Girardot
Humanitarian OpenStreetMap Team, TM3 Project Manager
skype: jblakegirardot
HOT Core Team Contact: [hidden email]
Live OSM Mapper-Support channel - https://hotosm-slack.herokuapp.com/
BE A PART OF HOT'S MICRO GRANTS: https://donate.hotosm.org/

Re: Bounding box not in iD Editor anymore

john whelan-2
Currently in JOSM I'm not seeing the tile frame.

Cheerio John

On 3 March 2017 at 17:26, Rebecca Firth <[hidden email]> wrote:
> [...]

>> Community Partnerships Manager
>> [hidden email]
>> @RebeccaFirthy
>> Skype: rebeccafirth
>>
>> Humanitarian OpenStreetMap Team
>> Using OpenStreetMap for Humanitarian Response & Economic Development
>> web | twitter | facebook | donate

Blake Girardot
Humanitarian OpenStreetMap Team, TM3 Project Manager
skype: jblakegirardot
HOT Core Team Contact: [hidden email]
Live OSM Mapper-Support channel - https://hotosm-slack.herokuapp.com/
BE A PART OF HOT'S MICRO GRANTS: https://donate.hotosm.org/

Rebecca Firth
Community Partnerships Manager
@RebeccaFirthy
Skype: rebeccafirth

Humanitarian OpenStreetMap Team
Using OpenStreetMap for Humanitarian Response & Economic Development

Re: Bounding box not in iD Editor anymore

Correction it was a little slow.

John

On 3 March 2017 at 18:19, john whelan <[hidden email]> wrote:
> [...]

>> Community Partnerships Manager
>> [hidden email]
>> @RebeccaFirthy
>> Skype: rebeccafirth
>>
>> Humanitarian OpenStreetMap Team
>> Using OpenStreetMap for Humanitarian Response & Economic Development
>> web | twitter | facebook | donate

Blake Girardot
Humanitarian OpenStreetMap Team, TM3 Project Manager
skype: jblakegirardot
HOT Core Team Contact: [hidden email]
Live OSM Mapper-Support channel - https://hotosm-slack.herokuapp.com/
BE A PART OF HOT'S MICRO GRANTS: https://donate.hotosm.org/

Rebecca Firth
Community Partnerships Manager
@RebeccaFirthy
Skype: rebeccafirth

Humanitarian OpenStreetMap Team
Using OpenStreetMap for Humanitarian Response & Economic Development

Re: Bounding box not in iD Editor anymore

Hi Mike, hi all,

Mike, I found out why you now get the purple task box again: OSM made
a change to how the OSM website works with secure connections
yesterday which fixes the issue with the purple task outline loading
in iD.

This means everyone should start seeing the purple task outline in the
iD editor now!

Cheers,
> [...]

>>> HOT Core Team Contact: [hidden email]
>>> Live OSM Mapper-Support channel - https://hotosm-slack.herokuapp.com/
>>> BE A PART OF HOT'S MICRO GRANTS: https://donate.hotosm.org/
>>

>> --
>> Rebecca Firth
>> Community Partnerships Manager
>> [hidden email]
>> @RebeccaFirthy
>> Skype: rebeccafirth
>>
>> Humanitarian OpenStreetMap Team
>> Using OpenStreetMap for Humanitarian Response & Economic Development
>> web | twitter | facebook | donate

Blake Girardot
Humanitarian OpenStreetMap Team, TM3 Project Manager
skype: jblakegirardot
HOT Core Team Contact: [hidden email]
Live OSM Mapper-Support channel - https://hotosm-slack.herokuapp.com/
BE A PART OF HOT'S MICRO GRANTS: https://donate.hotosm.org/

Re: Bounding box not in iD Editor anymore

Thanks for the further followup! Good to know that the issue has been resolved.

Mike