British National Grid coordinates in JOSM

British National Grid coordinates in JOSM

Bob Hawkins
I have got round to resetting the map projection in JOSM to EPSG:27700 (OSGB 1936 / British National Grid), finally.  I am surprised to find northings before eastings in the bottom left-hand corner of JOSM, when we reference BNG positions eastings before northings.  I wonder if this has something to do with the way latitude is referenced before longitude, usually?  I doubt this can be changed in JOSM but wondered what others know?  It is rather confusing.

Re: British National Grid coordinates in JOSM

Stuart Reynolds
I imagine so. When working in PostGIS, coordinates are Lon/Lat so that it maps into an (x,y) format. Since JOSM  displays Lat/Lon this rather sounds like the reverse in order to preserve the presentation format.

Agree it's confusing though.

Although thanks for the tip - will now go and set mine likewise
Regards
Stuart

Sent from my iPad

On 22 Oct 2017, at 10:26, Bob Hawkins <[hidden email]> wrote:

I have got round to resetting the map projection in JOSM to EPSG:27700 (OSGB 1936 / British National Grid), finally.  I am surprised to find northings before eastings in the bottom left-hand corner of JOSM, when we reference BNG positions eastings before northings.  I wonder if this has something to do with the way latitude is referenced before longitude, usually?  I doubt this can be changed in JOSM but wondered what others know?  It is rather confusing.

Re: British National Grid coordinates in JOSM

Stuart Reynolds
Hi Bob (and anyone else who’s done this),

I’ve reset the projection, and can now see the coordinates in OSGR. Yay!
But does anyone know how I can jump to a set of coordinates? If I click the coordinate boxes, the menu that comes up still insists on Lat/Lon.

Thanks
Stuart